Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought home a new 4xe Sahara last night. Used all of the charge on the trip from the dealer but we wanted to take the kids for a spin in the new ride, and did so (twice). Upon returning home each time, the vehicle made a very odd banging noise which my wife caught on video. This was while the vehicle was still on, idling In park in the driveway. Car also was emitting a skunk-like smell. Recognizing that maybe the smell is just new stuff burning off, but the noise - anyone else experience this or have any thoughts on what’s going on here? Video at link (turn volume up to hear):
New video by Bob Nelson

·
Registered
183 Posts
HVAC blend door? Sometimes those are opened and closed with some nylon gears that break and make a sound like that.
??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it's something drivetrain related. I just took it out for another drive and it did the same thing when I pulled back into the driveway and put it into park (again, after driving in gas mode). Interestingly, I was switching between the hybrid, gas-only, and electric-only options, and when I selected e-save at first, it wouldn't run off of the gas motor and remained battery driven. Cycling through the options periodically, it eventually kicked over to the gas engine, but wouldn't shift as I accelerated. I had also been in and out of manual shift mode but was back in "D" on the shifter - but it wasn't acting like it. Really odd stuff on a couple of different fronts. Not exactly confidence inspiring in a new $58,000 vehicle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think it's something drivetrain related. I just took it out for another drive and it did the same thing when I pulled back into the driveway and put it into park (again, after driving in gas mode). Interestingly, I was switching between the hybrid, gas-only, and electric-only options, and when I selected e-save at first, it wouldn't run off of the gas motor and remained battery driven. Cycling through the options periodically, it eventually kicked over to the gas engine, but wouldn't shift as I accelerated. I had also been in and out of manual shift mode but was back in "D" on the shifter - but it wasn't acting like it. Really odd stuff on a couple of different fronts. Not exactly confidence inspiring in a new $58,000 vehicle.
I heard the same noises a few days after picking mine up. It also ran very loud while idling at times, almost like an air compressor. It then abruptly stopped running while driving at 70 mph on the interstate weeks later. It's been at the dealer since then. I hope your issues don't extend that far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard the same noises a few days after picking mine up. It also ran very loud while idling at times, almost like an air compressor. It then abruptly stopped running while driving at 70 mph on the interstate weeks later. It's been at the dealer since then. I hope your issues don't extend that far.
Wow - sounds unsafe. ugh. Sorry for your troubles. I'll be interested to hear what they ultimately find with yours. Good luck.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey, Nelly. Is this concern still present? If so, please send me a private message with more details and I can dig in further.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dealer took the vehicle and was able to replicate the problem. Said that it was not abnormal for the jeep to make this noise, as this is related to the 4xe's pressurized gas tank. Apparently that was a "solenoid opening and closing a purge valve for gasoline vapors trapped in the tank." They said we can expect it to happen less frequently as we continue to drive the vehicle, which seems to be what is playing out in our experience as well. Strange thing to see in a new vehicle and if there are quirks like this associated with a pressurized fuel tank or any other operational aspect of the vehicle, Jeep should be out in front of it educating their dealers and new buyers on what to expect. I hope this is a legitimate explanation and resolution to the problem, but time will tell!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine has never done that. No way I believe that’s normal.
I agree. We'll see what happens as we go through various stages of filling/emptying the gas tank and see if that has an effect on the frequency. Hasn't done it for us in a few days, and we've only had the car for a week, so we're just going to take it on good faith that it's normal and should diminish, until something happens to prove otherwise.
It makes me glad that the car is under warranty, is a lease, and already has documentation of the issue 3 days into ownership should we need some kind of recourse down the line. I hope it doesn't come to that point.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
511 Posts
I agree. We'll see what happens as we go through various stages of filling/emptying the gas tank and see if that has an effect on the frequency. Hasn't done it for us in a few days, and we've only had the car for a week, so we're just going to take it on good faith that it's normal and should diminish, until something happens to prove otherwise.
It makes me glad that the car is under warranty, is a lease, and already has documentation of the issue 3 days into ownership should we need some kind of recourse down the line. I hope it doesn't come to that point.
Yep. I hope I’m wrong. I would hope they would know better than me. I’ve had so many new vehicles(not bragging, but making a point) and I’ve never heard that noise happening before. Unless of course this is a PHEV thing. In which case I’ve owned one, my current 4xe.😁
Still, your’s is the only complaint of this sound and you would think if it happens, it would be a more common complaint on here.
Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts