Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I’d share this with the community. I’m very happy with the purchase and quality - if you take your 4xe wheeling often and/or you drive with doors/roof off and accidentally get caught in a rain shower, this will be an amazing solution!

Anyway, here goes the story - let’s just assume I wasn’t originally planning to put armorlite but that last time I went wheeling, I had to experience the unfortunate reality of needing those drain plugs that the Wrangler has (there’s at least 8 of them - which I didn’t know where they all were in a moment of need. Familiarizing yourself with their location will be crucial in an emergency). Either way, I had to learn the hard way that those drain plugs are incredibly inconveniently located under the carpet in many cases. And getting to them by unclipping the carpet and pulling it from its mated position is an utter pain, especially on the Driver’s location where you’d think it should be reachable the easiest. That doesn’t even begin to describe the shi*sho* it is to clean and drain that stupid carpet itself.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Gas

Sleeve Gesture Finger Font T-shirt

Fluid Liquid Material property Plumbing fixture Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper

Realizing both my own stupidity as well as Jeeps offroad-unfriendly choices in an off-road vehicle, I decided at the above pictured moment that I should just get rid of the carpet, to make future cases of accidental-or-not-stupidity a less difficult experience. What if I could just (at least gently) hose down the interior to clean up after a day wheeling? What if I could locate & access the drain plugs easily? I started looking around for alternatives and was surprised that besides some cut-to-fit vinyl off the roll, there weren’t many alternatives for a wrangler, leave alone for the 4xe-specific floor plan. I did however find this slightly too expensive Armorlite full flooring solution that is a) not made from vinyl but a material that doesn’t mold yet let’s the water drain towards the plugs with both channels on top of it as well as within the material and b) is specific to the 4xe and you can even choose your preferred color of the drain plugs:LOL: … I went ahead and removed the carpet and replaced it.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire

The look and feel of the product is great. It both insulates sound and temperature better than the factory carpet. I will also report back once I’ve got myself into a situation where I need the drain plugs but from what I’ve heard from other users it serves its purpose pretty amazingly!

Attachments

· Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was pretty bummed to read vinyl flooring because an option (supposedly?) like the day after I ordered because I really hate carpet in off-road vehicles. Hard to get the dirt and mud out and the carpet FCA has been using the last few years is absolutely impossible to get dog hair out of. So this is an awesome solution that honestly is about half the price I expected. I'll definitely be giving this some consideration.
It’s incredible to me they don’t offer a proper full floor covering solution from factory. I get it on a Sahara or Altitude model. But on a Rubicon or any Recon package, it should just be there.
Anyway - the armorlite aftermarket solution is probably better than what the factory would offer anyway!

· Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the Armorlite in my Gladiator and removed it before trading the Gladiator in for a 4xe . I've yet to install it in the 4xe and know the front will fit fine . I'm hoping I can just trim the back floor to fit even if it's not perfect . From your pictures I
did not know there was a drain under the seats ,good to know. I did not need to remove the seats to do the install originally but maybe it would be easier . Broke some clips . The Armorlite held up very well for a year in the Gladiator and
I need to get off my butt and get it installed in the 4xe. So glad to be rid of the carpet !
it took me so long to find the plugs. There’s two in the front, two under the seats, two in the back row and two in the trunk area, below the floor. I think there’s improvements possible even to the armorlite solution (ie I’m not sure how well those water channels work in the front, the back row doesn’t seem to have them and the door-area side walls aren’t as high as I’d like them to be - I’d hope for them to cover all the way to the sills) - but it’s currently the best product out there for our wranglers. In your case I think some exact cutting will easily make it possible to fit in the 4xe, I read somewhere that it’s really just the center console area in the rear that’s slightly different.

· Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I’m guessing you didn’t see the cutouts in the oem carpet. You can pull the drain plugs without lifting up the carpet. The carpet has like a little built in access panel.
I found about half the cutouts and couldn’t locate the other half in the moment of need (when they’re hidden under an inch of muddy water) - on a side note, the drain plugs from the armorlite air way more flush with the sheet metal than the factory ones. I’m getting the impression they’re higher quality and prevent water from getting between floor and metal way better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts