Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4XE
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note: Jeep has 4200 miles on it.

Had a noise start yesterday and just thought it was because of the heat with the AC on. It did it tonight too though at 4am in the morning. Temp was 82 outside so it wasn’t like it was 100+.

Weird Engine Noise

AC was on and the Jeep made a whining sound. Like something was caught in a belt or something. Turned the AC off and it stopped the first time. Turned the AC on again and the noise came back. So I thought shut the AC off and it would go away. Nope. It stays now. Anyone experience this

Planning to take to the dealer on Monday when they open to get looked at.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4XE
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: so apparently the compressor has gone bad and they have to replace it. Not sure if this part was changed for this year and is a new design. If so - anyone else have a problem with it yet?

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4XE
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: so apparently the compressor has gone bad and they have to replace it. Not sure if this part was changed for this year and is a new design. If so - anyone else have a problem with it yet?
Just found out the part is on National back order and my Jeep is number 19 in line. Was told I am going to be without my Jeep for a while. Not happy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Will they let you drive it all while that noise is on? That sounds like an actual air compressor. That sucks, sorry!

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4XE
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will they let you drive it all while that noise is on? That sounds like an actual air compressor. That sucks, sorry!
Dealership said vehicle is unsafe to drive and kept it. I was out in the list for backordered parts. They did give me a loaner until it’s fixed. Nothing like tradinging in a Fully Loaded Rubicon 4XE for a stripped down base Grand Jeep Cherokee. Guess it could have been worse and they stuck me in a Compass. 🤣

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dealership said vehicle is unsafe to drive and kept it. I was out in the list for backordered parts. They did give me a loaner until it’s fixed. Nothing like tradinging in a Fully Loaded Rubicon 4XE for a stripped down base Grand Jeep Cherokee. Guess it could have been worse and they stuck me in a Compass. 🤣
That exact thing actually happened to me when I got my 18 JL. It was horrible. Sorry again you have to deal with that.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4XE
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Called dealership and they said I am #2 in line for the part. Should have it back by next week according to the service advisor!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I can see it being more important than a typical compressor since it's needed to keep the battery conditioned and from overheating.

I wonder if this means it gets covered by the battery/hybrid system warranty?

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4XE
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure what it was covered under but they told me point blank - “your vehicle isn’t safe to drive and we are putting you in a loaner immediately”. It’s covered regardless only having 4200 miles on it, and knowing it is essentially hopefully it is a one time deal I am taking care of now under warranty (before the recall) vs. outside of warranty and paying out of pocket.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4XE
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure as this is a totally new design. From what I was told, believing what I am hearing from the service advisor, the compressor cools the battery. Also I believe it runs off the electricity (300v) and doesn’t need the engine?

Maybe someone with more knowledge (Jeep Cares or a Hybrid electrical engineer) could weigh in. I’d like to know what would be the issues down stream if the compressor did fail. No battery ability (sucks but is it still drivable)? Could there be risk of a fire? Could the battery dimensionally expand or worse? I’ll definitely be asking when I pick it up as I am curious what new type of condition(s) beyond just a normal vehicle could cause it to be unsafe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure as this is a totally new design. From what I was told, believing what I am hearing from the service advisor, the compressor cools the battery. Also I believe it runs off the electricity (300v) and doesn’t need the engine?

Maybe someone with more knowledge (Jeep Cares or a Hybrid electrical engineer) could weigh in. I’d like to know what would be the issues down stream if the compressor did fail. No battery ability (sucks but is it still drivable)? Could there be risk of a fire? Could the battery dimensionally expand or worse? I’ll definitely be asking when I pick it up as I am curious what new type of condition(s) beyond just a normal vehicle could cause it to be unsafe.
Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got last week and have same issue. Taking it in to shop less then 7 days after I brought it home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got last week and have same issue. Taking it in to shop less then 7 days after I
Just found out the part is on National back order and my Jeep is number 19 in line. Was told I am going to be without my Jeep for a while. Not happy.
i guess I am a month behind you. This sucks
Why is it dangerous to drive with a bad AC compressor? I would think the worst that could happen is you have no AC. Unless this compressor is also connected to the battery cooling system.
the air compressor does cool off battery in 4xe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts