Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I just got my new 4xe yesterday, but am very confused on how it works. I was told to always keep it on Hybrid Mode as it’s the best option. I was also told that the car should never have a battery of <1 but that’s exactly what happened today. I drove a total of 30 miles on hybrid mode with a full charge and as I got closer to home it showed the battery was at <1. What does this mean? Does it mean I need to charge it right away when I get home but I only drive 30 miles? Does that just mean the electric portion is used up? Can I drive on Hybrid mode with that <1 % or should I switch over to ESave? I’m just concerned and confused on what happens on Hybrid Mode when the charge gets <1%, does my car stop working if I stop at the store and turn it off? Can someone please inform me I would really appreciate it!

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
59 Posts
Hi! I think this thread might be helpful for you:
Wrangler 4XE Drive Mode Analysis

Short answer is your battery never really “dies”, so don’t let the <1% thing scare you. Just think of it as your bonus electric fun being depleted. You could use the vehicle without charging for its entire life if you wanted.

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon sting grey
66 Posts
Don't worry about the >1% at all. Like stated above it just means the battery has hit the minimum for 100% electric.

You can recharge while driving if you use the esave button, max regen and choose the charge battery option in your radio hybrid page.

Even with the >1% you still have reserve battery capacity for those haul ass moments.

If you use the hybrid page while battery depleted you can clearly see electricity is being pushed to the motors.

Pro tip, just play around with it and you will figure out everything on your own. Just enjoy your experience!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi everyone I just got my new 4xe yesterday, but am very confused on how it works. I was told to always keep it on Hybrid Mode as it’s the best option. I was also told that the car should never have a battery of <1 but that’s exactly what happened today. I drove a total of 30 miles on hybrid mode with a full charge and as I got closer to home it showed the battery was at <1. What does this mean? Does it mean I need to charge it right away when I get home but I only drive 30 miles? Does that just mean the electric portion is used up? Can I drive on Hybrid mode with that <1 % or should I switch over to ESave? I’m just concerned and confused on what happens on Hybrid Mode when the charge gets <1%, does my car stop working if I stop at the store and turn it off? Can someone please inform me I would really appreciate it!
You never NEED to charge. The Jeep won’t let the battery die completely. It’ll recharge it a little as you drive via regen braking (turn on the max regen button to maximize this) and it’ll deploy any power it has as available. Charge whenever you can but never sweat it if you can’t.

Hybrid mode is “best” as a default, but you might want esave if you’d rather save your battery for later (to use it on a trail or in city traffic for example).

·
Registered
264 Posts
Did your dealer provide these directions? If so, please read the next line with the understanding that I don't like speaking negatively about people. That said: There are a lot of dealers providing a lot of horribly wrong information to buyers. But then again, there have been a lot of industry experts that have gotten a lot of information wrong too.

First thing to understand about the Wrangler 4XE: It is alway a hybrid. The modes simply change the bias of the decision making of the software. There are tons of videos and sales people saying Esave is a "gas mode". That's probably the most commonly incorrect statement made. There is no gas mode in the Wrangler 4XE. It's always a hybrid.

Here's how the modes break down. Keep in mind, I write from the perspective of efficiency, not performance.
If your daily commute is less than say 20 miles, throw it in electric mode and see if you can cover your daily driving in electric. Keep in mind, the Wrangler 4XE is alway a hybrid. If you punch the accelerator pedal hard enough, the gas engine will still start.

Hybrid mode will will still favor electric during normal driving but will bring the gas engine to the party a little quicker than electric mode. After battery depletion, the vehicle goes in to hybrid mode. When you hit the <1% state, there is still a little less than 15% of battery left. The vehicle will use that energy and restore that energy in several different ways. It will use the P1 motor/generator on the front of the engine and it will use regen from the P2 motor/generator in the transmission. It will work to use the electric energy when demand calls for a little more and it will work to charge when it sees demand is low, or when going down a hill or when decelerating.

Esave is a greatly misunderstood mode. The key thing to focus on is the word SAVE. It is either holding the battery at whatever point you start at or it is charging depending on how you set it in the sub-menus in the Uconnect. Keep in mind, Esave is the least efficient mode. It requires the vehicle to work harder. Because of the first law of thermodynamics and the electrical properties involved with battery charging, it puts a heavier load on the vehicle. Unless you truly want to save the battery for later use, there's no point in using Esave. Some people say to put the Wrangler 4XE in Esave on the highway then hybrid when you get to where you are going. If you truly want to save the battery for use later, that's one thing. But the overall most efficient operation will come from hybrid mode.

Hope that all helps. Please forgive me speaking negatively of a sales person. I know they do their best. But since I admin the Wrangler 4XE Fans group on Facebook, I have received several stories from people that have been horribly bad information given by sales people. Two people that I know of bought the Wrangler 4XE believing it would get 49MPG because there are so many people that don't understand the difference between MPG and MPGE. Other sales people have told people to alway put the Wrangler 4XE in Esave. It's just a lot of stuff that comes from a place of not understanding this vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did your dealer provide these directions? If so, please read the next line with the understanding that I don't like speaking negatively about people. That said: There are a lot of dealers providing a lot of horribly wrong information to buyers. But then again, there have been a lot of industry experts that have gotten a lot of information wrong too.

First thing to understand about the Wrangler 4XE: It is alway a hybrid. The modes simply change the bias of the decision making of the software. There are tons of videos and sales people saying Esave is a "gas mode". That's probably the most commonly incorrect statement made. There is no gas mode in the Wrangler 4XE. It's always a hybrid.

Here's how the modes break down. Keep in mind, I write from the perspective of efficiency, not performance.
If your daily commute is less than say 20 miles, throw it in electric mode and see if you can cover your daily driving in electric. Keep in mind, the Wrangler 4XE is alway a hybrid. If you punch the accelerator pedal hard enough, the gas engine will still start.

Hybrid mode will will still favor electric during normal driving but will bring the gas engine to the party a little quicker than electric mode. After battery depletion, the vehicle goes in to hybrid mode. When you hit the <1% state, there is still a little less than 15% of battery left. The vehicle will use that energy and restore that energy in several different ways. It will use the P1 motor/generator on the front of the engine and it will use regen from the P2 motor/generator in the transmission. It will work to use the electric energy when demand calls for a little more and it will work to charge when it sees demand is low, or when going down a hill or when decelerating.

Esave is a greatly misunderstood mode. The key thing to focus on is the word SAVE. It is either holding the battery at whatever point you start at or it is charging depending on how you set it in the sub-menus in the Uconnect. Keep in mind, Esave is the least efficient mode. It requires the vehicle to work harder. Because of the first law of thermodynamics and the electrical properties involved with battery charging, it puts a heavier load on the vehicle. Unless you truly want to save the battery for later use, there's no point in using Esave. Some people say to put the Wrangler 4XE in Esave on the highway then hybrid when you get to where you are going. If you truly want to save the battery for use later, that's one thing. But the overall most efficient operation will come from hybrid mode.

Hope that all helps. Please forgive me speaking negatively of a sales person. I know they do their best. But since I admin the Wrangler 4XE Fans group on Facebook, I have received several stories from people that have been horribly bad information given by sales people. Two people that I know of bought the Wrangler 4XE believing it would get 49MPG because there are so many people that don't understand the difference between MPG and MPGE. Other sales people have told people to alway put the Wrangler 4XE in Esave. It's just a lot of stuff that comes from a place of not understanding this vehicle.
Yes thank you so much this helped a lot! So I should not be worried when I drive to a far destination as in 2.5 hours in Hybrid Mode and my battery says <1% correct? That’s just telling me more gas is being used since there isn’t a lot of charge. That <1% doesn’t mean stop right away and plug it in.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes thank you so much this helped a lot! So I should not be worried when I drive to a far destination as in 2.5 hours in Hybrid Mode and my battery says <1% correct? That’s just telling me more gas is being used since there isn’t a lot of charge. That <1% doesn’t mean stop right away and plug it in.
No, that would mean you’re stopping to plug in every 25 miles!

<1% is totally fine. the Jeep won’t let it drop to empty. The battery also has buffer built in so even though it says 1%, it actually has more like 5-10% in there you just can’t use it. If you want, there’s a setting on the hybrid settings screen called “battery charge”. If you check that box, and then put the Jeep in “E-save” mode, it’ll actually charge the battery while you drive! (Keep in mind this is the LEAST efficient way to drive but it’s useful if you wanted to build your battery back up for a trail or campsite. Use the Max Regen button at the same time to maximize the amount of charge you’re putting back in the battery. If you drive long enough, it’ll go all the way back up to 25 miles!)

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
524 Posts
@Bren @LunaJeep With no alternator, you need to charge occasionally to keep the 12V battery charged.
Only when not in use. Need to plug in to recharge HV battery and 12v battery when sitting. The HV battery will recharge or maintain the 12v every 3 weeks if not plugged in but not sure how often that would happen if never plugged in. That’s my understanding anyway. Once the 12v dies, you won’t be able to start the vehicle and you’ll need to jump it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I did 4596 miles in one week. It’s what a PHEV is all about. The difference between a hybrid and a plug-in hybrid is the PHEV has a larger battery and a plug. When you hit the <1% state, the 4XE becomes a hybrid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts