Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here. We are picking up a Snazzberry Sahara 4xe this week. I plan to use the included charging cable until I decide on what home unit to purchase and where to place it. Curious what level 2 chargers folks are using or plan to use.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I’m still using my 3.3 kwh ClipperCreek at home. It’s under-sized for the 4XE so it takes about 4.5 hours to charge. I have a second ClipperCreek at my Mom’s house that is big enough to charge at the 4XE’s max rate. I haven’t decided if I’m going to swap them yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did a bunch of research before ordering mine, and agree with the above, Juicebox is to rated, has several models to choose from, and known for good post-sale support.
I like the fact its easy to schedule the charge for offpeak hours, notify you when changing is complete, any issues found while charging, etc. The install is as easy as hanging a picture once you have a 240v outlet installed or happen to have one already.
BTW for those that go to campgrounds, their plug-in model uses the same 50amp plug RVs use.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I pay for peak power usage, one rate for 2p-10p, and another for the other hours. As a result, I most charge my Tesla overnight around 12-18A (240v) - max is 48A. I was going to charge the 4xe low and slow too, but was wondering about either an adapter from my Tesla level 2 charger ($140-160) or a low current level 2 charger like this Lectron 240V 16 Amp Level 2 EV Charger with 21ft Extension Cord J1772 Cable & NEMA 10-30 Plug (UL-Certified) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079NTN...abc_FSECBH06FN0MQ6T1WJZD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 ($200).

Its easy enough to run a circuit from the basement subpanel to the garage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m still using my 3.3 kwh ClipperCreek at home. It’s under-sized for the 4XE so it takes about 4.5 hours to charge. I have a second ClipperCreek at my Mom’s house that is big enough to charge at the 4XE’s max rate. I haven’t decided if I’m going to swap them yet.
What is the max rate for the 4XE? Looking into level 2 chargers and not sure if I should get 32, 40, or 50amps. If I get a higher amp than the max rate, does it hurt the battery at all?

·
Registered
293 Posts
What is the max rate for the 4XE? Looking into level 2 chargers and not sure if I should get 32, 40, or 50amps. If I get a higher amp than the max rate, does it hurt the battery at all?
Bigger does not hurt. The vehicle and the EVSE “agree” to a charge rate during the initial handshake when you plug in. The EVSE does not “push” as much as the charger inside the vehicle “pulls” so to speak. So a larger EVSE doesn’t hurt.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bigger does not hurt. The vehicle and the EVSE “agree” to a charge rate during the initial handshake when you plug in. The EVSE does not “push” as much as the charger inside the vehicle “pulls” so to speak. So a larger EVSE doesn’t hurt.
Look into your electric plan(s). I pay for peak usage, so I charge as slow as feasible.

I usually charge my Tesla from 20-80%/25-75% overnight around 16-18A, even though I can pull 48A.

The Jeep I switched from the 110V 10A charger to 220V 10A, but it can do 16A as well. For me, I don’t see a need to go faster. Plus I saved money on the charger and circuit to support.

After the peak usage charge, I only pay 4.3c/kwh in Denver.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wow, what is your peak rate? FPL offers it here but I just don't see how it can be practical in Florida. The AC runs all day long 10 months out of the year.
Its $6.xx/kva 2-10p and $3.xx otherwise. If I charge the Tesla @ 48A its 11kva, plus about 4 for the house, so it can get pricey unless you commit to doing it all the time. Paying for a supercharger makes more sense for us if we are in a pinch to charge fast.

I had 4 plans to choose from and this was the best for our usage, especially considering electric vehicles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ordered the Blink HQ 100 from Amazon. It is an identical twin to the Bosch level 2 unit. There is 25% discount code emailed to you when you join their program 25BLNKPRO this would bring the price down from 450 to around 338 before tax. It seems like a unit that’s been around for a while and being replaced with an updated version. I haven’t had it installed yet but hoping to get it done in there next week.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So it looks like my utility coop has just one rate. $0.03486 per kWh.

I have a 30a double pole breaker run into my garage for a couple of my tools that run on 220v.

Looking at the Juicebox 32 that plugs in. Conventional wisdom says nope and then you read that they will only draw what the vehicle tells them to draw. So if Juicy (the 4xe) only calls for 20a that is all it will draw.

Does anyone know what the max the 4xe will ask for on a level 2 charger is and is this actually a thing??

Meaning, will different ev/hybrids pull different loads from the chargers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a 220v 32A L2 charger from clipper creek (similar to Mopar L2 charger) wired to a 50A circuit breaker. My understanding is that you should plan to be at 75-80% steady load rate for a circuit not be right at the limit so if your charger can supply peak 32A power you are going to trip your 30A breaker. If you are confident that the 4xe will draw max 20A even though the charger is rated at 32A that might not blow the circuit or cause an electrical fire. I suggest reaching out to an electrician to get their opinion if you have doubts.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a 220v 32A L2 charger from clipper creek (similar to Mopar L2 charger) wired to a 50A circuit breaker. My understanding is that you should plan to be at 75-80% steady load rate for a circuit not be right at the limit so if your charger can supply peak 32A power you are going to trip your 30A breaker. If you are confident that the 4xe will draw max 20A even though the charger is rated at 32A that might not blow the circuit or cause an electrical fire. I suggest reaching out to an electrician to get their opinion if you have doubts.
Yeah, we've got a 32a L2 and have been temporarily using the 30a dryer outlet (10-30 to 6-50 adapter), and out of the maybe 10-12 times we've used it, I had it trip the breaker one time, being so close to the max. I'm definitely doing at least a 40a, and very likely a 50a circuit when I get something more permanently installed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Having trouble finding max charge rate for the 4XE. I have a Tesla as well and just started the process to lease a 4XE - (it's not at the dealer yet, so I don't have it). I already have a 50A - 14-50 outlet. Also can you knock down the charge rate on a 4XE?

Does the Jeep mobile charger have the ability to use a 14-50 or other 240V outlet? Or is it just a Level 1 120/12A charger?

·
Registered
183 Posts
@Dakster

I assumed - possibly incorrectly - that the max charge rate was negotiated between the vehicle and the charger, so for example, if you plug a 4xe into a charger capable of twice the 4xe charge rate, it would just step down to the proper rate[?]

I'm 99.9% sure the supplied L1 charger is only 110v, just like most 110v devices (without some kind of external 240>110 converter).

What model Tesla do you have? I currently own a beautiful Mustang GT convertible, nicely modded, just fantastic, Performance Package, Magnetic Ride, A10, etc., but with the 4xe, we have our "convertible" vehicle that could replace the GT. I've owned a lot of performance cars, domestic/muscle, imports, some radically modified, but I think I'm done with that, and I'm starting to seriously think about going BEV to replace the GT, specifically a Model 3 Performance.

I'm more or less just waiting to see what happens with the reinstatement of the Fed Tax Credit for companies like Tesla who used all theirs already, assuming that new $7K allocation will pass, but talk of a more substantial $10K credit is pretty exciting!

·
Registered
868 Posts
@Dakster

I assumed - possibly incorrectly - that the max charge rate was negotiated between the vehicle and the charger, so for example, if you plug a 4xe into a charger capable of twice the 4xe charge rate, it would just step down to the proper rate[?]

I'm 99.9% sure the supplied L1 charger is only 110v, just like most 110v devices (without some kind of external 240>110 converter).

What model Tesla do you have? I currently own a beautiful Mustang GT convertible, nicely modded, just fantastic, Performance Package, Magnetic Ride, A10, etc., but with the 4xe, we have our "convertible" vehicle that could replace the GT. I've owned a lot of performance cars, domestic/muscle, imports, some radically modified, but I think I'm done with that, and I'm starting to seriously think about going BEV to replace the GT, specifically a Model 3 Performance.

I'm more or less just waiting to see what happens with the reinstatement of the Fed Tax Credit for companies like Tesla who used all theirs already, assuming that new $7K allocation will pass, but talk of a more substantial $10K credit is pretty exciting!
Given I traded my Mustang GT for the 4xe, what I miss most is the digital instrument cluster, one touch up/down windows, and automatic wipers. I was in the rain last night and it felt odd having to do that myself, lol. In truth, it is an extra level of driver distraction. What I don't miss is having to get out of the car to use the drive through ATM, and all the noise.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Given I traded my Mustang GT for the 4xe, what I miss most is the digital instrument cluster, one touch up/down windows, and automatic wipers. I was in the rain last night and it felt odd having to do that myself, lol. In truth, it is an extra level of driver distraction. What I don't miss is having to get out of the car to use the drive through ATM, and all the noise.
Oh heck, hey, I didn't remember the name, and went back to our PM on the S550 board ... duh ... me smert ... :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I love the 12" LCD display on my '19, when I traded my '16, while not the main motivation (it was going from a 6M to an A10), it quickly became my second favorite thing about the new car. That's why I'll very likely wind up with a Tesla (or something equally as tech rich), I'm kind of giving up the convertible to the Wrangler, and it's a little less bells and whistles than the Mustang, so I want my replacement to be a nerd-o-rama of tech goodies :D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts