Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my Jeep a week ago and was very disappointed to go to Whole Foods and not have a public charger that fits the Jeep.

I keep reading about errors people have when using the Tesla adapter that you can purchase on Amazon.

I’m feeling like the 4xe may not be ready for prime time if there are not readily available public chargers that work. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
262 Posts
There are lots that do work. I’ve had a lot of great luck with them in my area. It’s a little frustrating, however, to see how many public chargers just won’t charge the 4XE. I don’t think it’s very widespread but I’ve read several posts in the 4XE Fans group on Facebook.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Download the plug share app, it is a great resource for finding public chargers. With that said, Tesla has a great advantage over all the other manufacturers given their charging network in addition to their technological lead.
Second this - Plug Share App lets you filter by connection type and see chargers on the map (my 4xe hasn't been delivered yet, but I believe j1772 is what we're looking for - lots of parking garages, etc in the Northeast have them, but varies greatly by region). Fantastic app.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I purchased my Jeep a week ago and was very disappointed to go to Whole Foods and not have a public charger that fits the Jeep.

I keep reading about errors people have when using the Tesla adapter that you can purchase on Amazon.

I’m feeling like the 4xe may not be ready for prime time if there are not readily available public chargers that work. What am I missing here?
I charge at Whole Foods frequently. My local one uses ChargePoint charges. Now if there aren't non-ev vehicles parked in the spots is another story.

J1772 seem to be the most common plugs I've seen.

·
Registered
82 Posts
As others have said, download plugshare and filter by J1772. There’s a million of them out there. Might be worth signing up for Chargepoint, they’re the largest Level 2 network.

Tesla superchargers will not work, it has to be a “destination charger”, which are usually at Hotels because they take all night to charge a Tesla’s big battery.

if you’re finding a lot of chargers that don’t fit, that’s ultimately a good thing because it means your area has a lot of DC Fast infrastructure. Those are the plugs we need for wider EV adoption. Tesla is in another league in terms of how many charging locations they have and how many plugs are at each location. They took it upon themselves to build that network, and they’ve been expanding it aggressively for 12 years. Good on them.

Our Jeeps don’t REALLY need to be charged on the go. I know it’s nicer to drive under EV power but we charge at a measly 7kw (compare to Tesla 250kw or even the slow Bolt at 55kw). If there are empty chargers then go for it, but if there’s only 1 or 2 plugs around I usually feel like I’m blocking a Leaf or a Bolt that probably just needs to get home.

·
Registered
590 Posts
As others have said, download plugshare and filter by J1772. There’s a million of them out there. Might be worth signing up for Chargepoint, they’re the largest Level 2 network.

Tesla superchargers will not work, it has to be a “destination charger”, which are usually at Hotels because they take all night to charge a Tesla’s big battery.

if you’re finding a lot of chargers that don’t fit, that’s ultimately a good thing because it means your area has a lot of DC Fast infrastructure. Those are the plugs we need for wider EV adoption. Tesla is in another league in terms of how many charging locations they have and how many plugs are at each location. They took it upon themselves to build that network, and they’ve been expanding it aggressively for 12 years. Good on them.

Our Jeeps don’t REALLY need to be charged on the go. I know it’s nicer to drive under EV power but we charge at a measly 7kw (compare to Tesla 250kw or even the slow Bolt at 55kw). If there are empty chargers then go for it, but if there’s only 1 or 2 plugs around I usually feel like I’m blocking a Leaf or a Bolt that probably just needs to get home.
Great post! Although I like keeping off the fossil fuels as much as possible.

I was thinking that at my local Whole Foods, I see the same Testa parked all the time. There apartments located nearby and it may be the only option that person has.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
511 Posts

Call me maniacal, but it’s never crossed my mind that using a public charging station would possibly prevent a Leaf or a Volt from getting home. 🤣 You’re waaay over thinking it!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Call me maniacal, but it’s never crossed my mind that using a public charging station would possibly prevent a Leaf or a Volt from getting home. 🤣 You’re waaay over thinking it!
It’s partly because I’ve been that guy in the shorter range EV that needs to get home. The charging infrastructure is still pretty bad out there. Tesla’s network is very good, but the CCS/CHAdeMO plugs are far fewer, much less reliable, more prone to be blocked/occupied because there are often only 1 or 2 per location. That means it’s occasionally necessary to fall back on a J1772 plug to top up to get either home or to the next faster plug.

That’s not to mention a subset of people who went and bought an EV without having a reliable charger at home. Who in their right mind would do such a thing? I was that guy too. Owned my first Model 3 while living in a downtown tower. I had garage parking, but no plugs. I had to lean on public J1772s at the local city hall and Whole Foods. Yes it was very inconvenient but I suffer from an advanced case of early adopter syndrome so in a weird way I enjoyed it.

Anyway I’m not saying we shouldn’t use public plugs, just to be aware of our surroundings. We’re all now part of two communities, the Jeep community and the EV community. To be a good neighbor in the latter means being considerate of others at the plug. Our Jeeps are among the slowest charging and least efficient EVs on the road, and we’re never in danger of range anxiety. Leafs, Bolts, i3s, EGolfs etc are all pretty short range and those drivers are used to following their ABCs (always be charging). Especially in cold weather, when range can drop 20-50%. Plugs are a lifeline for them, and a luxury for us.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
511 Posts
It’s partly because I’ve been that guy in the shorter range EV that needs to get home. The charging infrastructure is still pretty bad out there. Tesla’s network is very good, but the CCS/CHAdeMO plugs are far fewer, much less reliable, more prone to be blocked/occupied because there are often only 1 or 2 per location. That means it’s occasionally necessary to fall back on a J1772 plug to top up to get either home or to the next faster plug.

That’s not to mention a subset of people who went and bought an EV without having a reliable charger at home. Who in their right mind would do such a thing? I was that guy too. Owned my first Model 3 while living in a downtown tower. I had garage parking, but no plugs. I had to lean on public J1772s at the local city hall and Whole Foods. Yes it was very inconvenient but I suffer from an advanced case of early adopter syndrome so in a weird way I enjoyed it.

Anyway I’m not saying we shouldn’t use public plugs, just to be aware of our surroundings. We’re all now part of two communities, the Jeep community and the EV community. To be a good neighbor in the latter means being considerate of others at the plug. Our Jeeps are among the slowest charging and least efficient EVs on the road, and we’re never in danger of range anxiety. Leafs, Bolts, i3s, EGolfs etc are all pretty short range and those drivers are used to following their ABCs (always be charging). Especially in cold weather, when range can drop 20-50%. Plugs are a lifeline for them, and a luxury for us.
For the sake of not being a d**k tonight, I will say good on you. You’re a good person.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In my area the plugshare app shows dozens of chargers near me. That said, I don't gauge a product based on the availability of free stuff associated with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you! The app is a perfect start. I wasn’t aware there were so many variations on how cars are charged and assumed (wrongly) that companies would use the same style plug to more easily adopt the technology for wider use.

·
Registered
33 Posts

I believe this is because Tesla has not opened their charges up to other manufacturers yet, this is supposed to happen soon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I believe this is because Tesla has not opened their charges up to other manufacturers yet, this is supposed to happen soon.
They’re talking about Superchargers, which still are not compatible with 4XE. Superchargers are DC current. Other models that have DC Fast capability (CCS or CHAdeMO plugs) should be able to use Superchargers if the network is opened, but we don’t have that (yet - saw a Jeep engineer imply it’s coming but likely not until the batteries get bigger).

4XE can theoretically use Tesla “destination chargers” with an adapter, which are essentially 240V Level 2 wall plugs with Tesla connectors, the same type of thing we all install at home. This part of the network is not currently restricted and adapters do work for some vehicles, however these chargers are generally only at places like hotels due to the fact that they take ~9 hours to charge a Tesla (hence, “destination” chargers because you will charge at your destination).

edit: here’s the difference

·
Registered
88 Posts
I used Plug Share and Charge Point on a trip between DC and Orlando and I thought there was major lack of public access stations along I-95. While I didn't have to have it, it would have been nice to be able to plug in for 30-60 minutes while taking a break. I pity the EV drivers that are dependent on them. I really don't think the network is present yet in the southeast to support long distance EV travel. Even where there are stations, many are down (from check-ins down long term) and others charge ridiculous rates.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I used Plug Share and Charge Point on a trip between DC and Orlando and I thought there was major lack of public access stations along I-95. While I didn't have to have it, it would have been nice to be able to plug in for 30-60 minutes while taking a break. I pity the EV drivers that are dependent on them. I really don't think the network is present yet in the southeast to support long distance EV travel. Even where there are stations, many are down (from check-ins down long term) and others charge ridiculous rates.
While I agree 100% with everything you said, the chargers we’re looking for (J1772) are not the chargers most EVs are depending on for long distance travel. Those are DC Fast chargers, which here in the states can take the form of CCS Combo, CHAdeMO and Tesla Superchargers. J1772 is more for local topping up while we’re at work or shopping Etc. Not sure if you were filtering by J1772 or not.

For DC Fast, I suspect the 95 corridor will look better. The Tesla network is quite good. I’ve driven the entire eastern seaboard, from Daytona Beach to Nova Scotia, and the Tesla network was plenty robust to do the whole thing without any anxiety. The CCS / CHAdeMO network (everyone else) is pretty terrible by comparison, but should outnumber the J1772s near the highway.

For example, here’s a Tesla station just off I-95 near the SC / NC border. This same location had 4(!) CCS + CHAdeMO plugs, and those are supposed to service literally everyone else. No J1772 here, but again J1772 are not really for distance traveling.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There are lots that do work. I’ve had a lot of great luck with them in my area. It’s a little frustrating, however, to see how many public chargers just won’t charge the 4XE. I don’t think it’s very widespread but I’ve read several posts in the 4XE Fans group on Facebook.
Jeep is definitely picky. Not sure if it's a ground or voltage level thing, but it rejects a lot of public chargers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I took my 120vac charger and a heavy extension cord on our trip out West and found that most hotels have receptacles that they don't mind you using overnight. Tended to be easier than tracking down a j1772 and finding something to do nearby for 2 hours.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts