Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at leasing one of these as the deal is really good and I’m wondering. I live in an apartment complex so I can’t put up a home charger but there are charging stations around me but if I can’t charge it all the time is it still worth it or not?

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon sting grey
123 Posts
The inability to regularly charge does diminish the practicality of a plug in hybrid.

Otherwise, the only person that can determine if this is right for you is well... you.

For me to make sense of it I have to plug in overnight and charge off peak when electricity is the cheapest. The vehicle allows for a charging schedule and you determine the time if day or night.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think it’s worth it. If you can still charge somewhere frequently that would be ideal. Or depending on your complex you may be able to run an extension cord out the window and to your vehicle lol. I had an upstairs neighbor at my last apartment who ran their charger out the window and charged their car out front (side street).

it’s still a “hybrid” and if you drive it well, you would be able to utilize the regenerative capabilities to get the battery up if you can charge often, helping with fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Even if you never have the opportunity to charge the battery, the addition of the electric motors mean you will have the 2nd most powerful Jeep Wrangler ever made (behind only the 392 -- and even there the 4xe has the same torque as the 392). Plus, if you can take advantage of the $7,500 tax credit, you may end up paying less in the long run than for a comparably equipped non-hybrid wrangler and have a more valuable jeep to sell when the time comes.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Personally, I don't think it's worth it.

I'm saying this as someone who has lived in an apartment with an EV. It's a LOT less convenient. At least with a full EV you can hit up a DC Fast charger and get something like 200 miles in 20 minutes. This car takes ~2.5 hours to give you just 25 miles, so the question becomes are you really going to go out of your way to visit a charger, and let it sit there for over two hours just to get the equivalent of one gallon of gas? Probably not. Time is way more valuable than that.

So if you're not charging it regularly, you're running at about 17-20mpg. Other Jeep models are more efficient. Keep in mind the 4XE is ~700 lbs heavier, and you're lugging all of that weight around for no reason because you're not really using the battery.

Yes, you can get the $7,500 tax credit and that can save you a few thousand over a similarly spec'd Wrangler - but you'll likely spend that saved money in extra gas over the course of your ownership.

·
Registered
833 Posts
So if you're not charging it regularly, you're running at about 17-20mpg. Other Jeep models are more efficient.
It's worth keeping in mind that there's only one other wrangler model that puts down the same amount of torque and it definitely isn't more efficient.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Depends on what your goals are in owning this vehicle.

If you want to maximize your MPG's and save on gas, then charging as often as possible and driving on Electric is recommended since you only get about 21 miles of electric range.

If you want the 2nd most powerful Wrangler Jeep currently offers, plus the federal credits and not worry about how much gas you're actually spending.. get the 4xe.

The Battery Charge really helps in the overall whole experience of this vehicle, without the battery charged up... it's heavier and uses more gas than a non 4xe wrangler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So this is an odd question but can you really plug this thing into your own home like an apartment in charge it with an extension cable

·
Registered
68 Posts
So this is an odd question but can you really plug this thing into your own home like an apartment in charge it with an extension cable
Yes you can, I have this current set up at work using a 25 ft extension cable and the factory level 1 charger...

Charge time is roughly 12 hours for the full charge though

·
Registered
97 Posts
I can’t charge it all the time is it still worth it or not?
I think it depends largely on how much you like the Jeep and how much you enjoy this planet and/or hate oil companies. I have street parking. For the most part I just run a 10 gauge extension cord. It's fairly common around here to see people doing it. I assume at some point the city will grant easements or something so people can install L2 chargers. Just cover the cord with something so nobody will trip (and sue). About 12 hours to a full charge, which is less than the Jeep's estimate and much quicker for a significant partial charge. YMMV depending on amperage of the outlet I think.

When that doesn't cut it, I take it to a L2 charger and, since I work remotely anyway, I just work from the car. That might suit some people. I end up getting more work done. No interruptions and I keep my Jeep far cleaner than my office. It's a comfortable vehicle with great sound options and an electrical outlet that can power a laptop and sound system while charging. I'm very happy with it. So is the doggo and husband.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone. I’m going to get it! I just love it to much to not. Now it’s just between snazzy Sahara or hydro rubicon. Ugh so tuff

·
Registered
153 Posts
When we were on vacation for a week over 1000 miles from home we never charged our 4xe Rubi and got phenomenal fuel economy/performance visiting and sightseeing. Enjoy it! (y) if you go Hydro Rubi.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
3 Posts
I absolutely love my 4xe! My commute to work daily is about 70 miles roundtrip and I fully charge at nite. Doing the old school math, this week I drove only 283 miles electric/gas combined and the fill-up required10.8 gallons so thats 26mpg. Not bad for a vehicle capable of going most places and option to go electric or hybrid on the trails! 4200 miles on the odometer so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also don’t have access to charging in my apartment building but there’s a street charger about a 6-7 mins walk away, if that one isn’t available then there’s another about a 10 min walk away. Forces me to walk regularly and I get an all electric commute every day. It’s definitely worth it to me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts