Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I was wondering what kind of off roading was considered as safe with the 20" wheels, thin sidewall, and non-agressive tread on the stock tires ? I know rock crawling is a recipe for bending a wheel and getting a flat, but what about lighter forest trails, a bit of mud, nothing too crazy ?

I'm wondering if I'd be better buying 33" A/T tires (275/60R20) to put on the stock wheels, so I'd have a tiny bit more sidewall and a more agressive tire tread, if I want to get off the pavement more often !

Thanks !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Following this for recommendations.
Asking - Would you Air Down those 20" to smooth out the trail ?
Nothing Crazy trail wise

·
Registered
188 Posts
I go a lot of places in our HA. Even done Schnebly Hill Road near Sedona without issue. For that trail, I aired down to 25 psi.
Last weekend I traveled a fairly basic road that went through some dry river beds and it did just fine. I think pretty much all Wranglers are very capable. Stock tires aren't really that small. They measure exact same diameter as my son's Rubicon but of course the difference is he has 1 1/2" more sidewall so more rim protection

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Following along with this as I am curious as well. Moreso for "light" off-roading, muddy trails, beaches, etc. nothing too crazy on my stock Sahara.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the pics ! Looks like soft-roading is alright with the 20" and stock all seasons. If I understand well, for more agressive trails with rocks and mud, there is more to theoritical gain by downsizing the wheels to 17" (more sidewall, more protection) and keeping an all-season type of tire, than keeping the same 275/55R20 tire size but with a more agressive AT tire pattern ?

Any one else did some kind of off roading with 20" / stock all seasons ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the pics ! Looks like soft-roading is alright with the 20" and stock all seasons. If I understand well, for more agressive trails with rocks and mud, there is more to theoritical gain by downsizing the wheels to 17" (more sidewall, more protection) and keeping an all-season type of tire, than keeping the same 275/55R20 tire size but with a more agressive AT tire pattern ?

Any one else did some kind of off roading with 20" / stock all seasons ?
I did offroading in sand, mud, and dirt with stock tires, no issues but I would definitely avoid rocky trails without changing the tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think I'm going to buy a set of Rubicon take-offs. I've seen several sets of New Rubicon wheels and tires (less than 1,000 miles) for $1,200. That seems like a pretty good price for the ability to do some mild off-roading without worrying about getting stuck and/or damanging my nice road wheel/tires.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think I'm going to buy a set of Rubicon take-offs. I've seen several sets of New Rubicon wheels and tires (less than 1,000 miles) for $1,200. That seems like a pretty good price for the ability to do some mild off-roading without worrying about getting stuck and/or damanging my nice road wheel/tires.
Yes. I have considered the same. Actually was a Rubicon take off set for sale last week for $800. But then I would have to find a place to store them and the effort to change the tires each weekend that I go on the trails. I have talked myself out of that for now.

If I actually damage a wheel then I will probably kick myself but until then....
:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
That’s a great idea

The stock Rubi wheels with some all terrains with get you through a lot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve done one mild (2/10) and one moderate (5/10) trail with the stock Sahara wheels and tires with no issues. I aired down for the moderate trail. It’s all about picking a good line which is a lot easier with the off-road camera I’m very glad I ordered.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm actually looking at some Sahara take offs to move down to 18 inches from the 20s that come on the 4XE Sahara. Not a huge fan of the look, I'd rather have silver wheels. I'd even consider Sport S Wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts