Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Complete Jeep newbie here: for a Wrangler that will likely spend most of its time driving in DC suburbia, what options are must haves vs. can/should be avoided? Obviously it greatly depends on personal preferences, etc., but still, any recommendations? I plan on getting all possible safety features, but have no clue re various top and door options, for example.
Thanks is advance.

·
Registered
4xe Rubicon, AP1 S2000
83 Posts
My build:
Rubicon
Hard top + soft top
Cold weather
Towing
Proximity key
Forward camera
All weather mats

Didn’t get wish I did:
Metal bumpers

Didn’t get don’t want:
Safety packs
Body colored stuff
$$$$$ half doors (waste IMO; just take the doors off and save $4k)
Sky top roof (would if I lived in a place with no storage for tops)
Leather; too hot with top off, love the cloth

The cold weather and towing packs are really hard to add later, worth ordering if you even think you want them.

Proximity I haven’t really appreciated yet but it’s summer and my doors are off/top down most of the summer; come winter I’ll appreciate it more.

Trailcam is an unnecessary toy but I like it.

all weather mats I think are hard to get if not ordered; to me they are a must for a Jeep.

Which top to get is a very personal/situational choice; I love dual top but I have 4 climate seasons and space to store the off season top.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am in the same boat @S2kChris - MY Rubicon is a match build to yours
I wish I got the steel bumpers-
On the fence to purchase now - I don't think it is would be difficult to swap out.
I also did not go for the soft top as I have taken the Freedom Tops on all the nice days so far and lucky I have not been caught in the rain.

·
Registered
4xe Rubicon, AP1 S2000
83 Posts
My build was $60k and I was trying to cut costs back by avoiding metal bumpers; then I found out how cheap the lease payment was and the extra $10 wouldn’t have made a difference. Oh well. I don’t have a reason to need but I’d love to add a winch eventually assuming I keep it after the lease ends (my current plan)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Same here. Towing and cold weather package, but intentionally didn't want metal bumpers. You can add better aftermarket steel bumpers for less $$$ in whatever style you like.

Don't need the prox locks since I live in NW FL and don't really need to lock the doors for the few months they are on. Got a soft top only due to better weather here. Nice to catch the occasional 70-degree sunny January day and throw the top back. If I lock it, my stuff gets stolen AND I have a slash in the top too.

·
68 Posts
I'm in the Ohio River Valley where it can go from 30 and snowing to sunny and 80 in a span of 12 hours, so I wanted a convenient top that maximized by ability to enjoy my 4xe, which is why I went with the Sky One Touch roof. I absolutely love it! Being able to hit a button and open/close in a few seconds is awesome. I know a lot of people love the classic topless roof options, but I'll take convenience any day of the week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ordered a Sahara
Std options AND
-Tow pkg
-Both Safety groups (in SoCal i NEED adaptive cruise)
-limited slip diff (that was great on my last JL - would highly recommend to everyone - still have not found a hill that it won't climb up)
-Remote Key
-Hard Top

Wish I had ordered:
-front cam

Will get 3rd party
-hard top dampening panels (loved on last jeep and found them half price on line)
-metal front bumper with winch
-Soft top at some point
-manual sway disconnects (you get more range than the Rubi elec sway disco)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Body colored fenders
Unnecessary, but I love the way they look.

Power top
Used to be that people living in 4 seasons weather would have both hard top and soft top. Power top is best compromise especially if you dont have storage for a spare top.

Trail cam
Unecessary, but I like it for tight parallel parking in the city

Towing pack
If you need to tow something, it's necessary. If not, it's not.

Cold weather pack
Absolutely necessary. Heated seats and wheel are amazing one chilly top down nights

Proximity Entry
Necessary, because its a push button ignition meaning there's no reason to dig your key out. Taking it out just to unlock is annoying.

Steel bumpers
Only necessary if you plan to add a winch or big tires, and even then there might be better or cheaper aftermarket options.

Safety groups
Visibility is good in the Wrangler, so I'd say this is unnecessary but traffic aware cruise is great to have

Half doors
Cool AF but too expensive, unnecessary.

All weather mats
Absolutely necessary but there are better ones than the OEM version

Recommended:
Door sill guards. They are known to scratch and rust.
Camping blanket for chilly passengers
Tie-downs for anything you might have in the back while top is down

·
Registered
4xe Rubicon, AP1 S2000
83 Posts
The only thing I’ll quibble with is that the tow package comes with quite a bit, including the aux switches, upgraded electrical, and heavier duty battery. IMO it’s a bargain at $750 even if you don’t plan to toe extensively.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Tops seem like a personal choice based on conditions, but I can say the JL hardtop is pretty nice. We have decently wintry winters here in north Colorado, so the hard top and keyless doors make lots of sense for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I knew I was going to replace my bumpers right away with an aftermarket set, glad I didn’t get it. Wish I would’ve got floor mats.
I got cold weather group, towing package, gorilla glass, proximity keys and that’s it

·
Registered
2021 Stingray Rubicon 4xe
95 Posts
Still don’t have my Jeep, so these regrets might disappear when I actually start using it. I skipped the steel bumpers but have yet to find an aftermarket set that I really like. Most I have seen look too aggressive for my tastes. I also skipped the floor mats. Unfortunately supply chain issues are affecting the aftermarket as well and there just don’t seem to be too many 4xe specific floor mat options right now. This will change over time btu finding something that looks great, fits perfect and is cheaper than OEM just doesn’t seem in the cards right now.

I don’t regret not getting the half doors but would be lying if I said I was not jealous whenever I see a Jeep with them on. My brain tells me all the other cool stuff I can do with that 4K, but man do they look good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got a Rubicon.
Hard top
Tow package
Advanced safety group
Floor mats
Proximity unlock
Front camera

I could have done without most of them, but don’t regret any. So far the adaptive cruise works pretty well. I don’t tow much currently, but i think it’ll come in handy. I want different bumpers, but I’m not in a hurry. I’ll probably drive it stock til after winter then might get a lift, new bumpers, winch, that sort of thing. The sting gray looks pretty great with the black top and fenders.

·
Registered
8 Posts
High Altitude factory ordered
  • Sky One-Touch® Power-Top
  • Remote-Start System
  • Advanced Safety Group
  • Cold Weather Group
  • Trailer-Tow and Heavy-Duty Electrical Group
  • Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
checked all the boxes except Front Camera... wish I got it for tight parking scenarios. Otherwise vehicle has been so perfect for us!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.