Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

Keep 4xe or swap to 2.0L

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 2021 JLURxe on order. I came to this decision after a year of contemplation between buying used or new, 2.0L vs 3.6L vs 4xe. I had a 2010 JKUR 3.8L. After test driving all of these engine options a few weeks ago I ranked them as such. In terms of ride quality and overall impressions.
  1. Rubicon 4xe
  2. Rubicon 2.0L
  3. Rubicon 3.6L
I specify Rubicon for each of these because I test drove them all on larger tires and lift where applicable from the dealer. I wasn't expecting to purchase the 4xe at all, but after driving it around it surprised me. It was quiet and peaceful, it had a lot of pep in its step, not having the red dash was more soothing on the eyes. I did make sure to drive the car in all three power options.

I was nervous about buying the 4xe up until this point due to it being the first model year. Which wasn't a deal breaker for me because manufacturer warranty and just expecting general "It's a Jeep thing" type issues. My biggest fear of the Hybrid was "If I'm out in the forest with no service and no charge will the car start?" After being assured from the dealer that the Jeep will start if the battery wasn't charged, and then further research that the battery always saves ~15% for acceleration and starting that put my mind on ease.

So here we are, I placed the order for the 4xe, my dream Jeep. Bright White, all the interior features I wanted and nothing I didn't. I go to read the manual and it says that in extreme weather conditions -22* and below and 131* and above that the Jeep WILL NOT start and that it has to be plugged in for the battery to be conditioned. You might have seen the prior post on this forum about this. Now my best friend, and family are trying to make my mind at ease and tell me "When will you ever be in that situation?" and "Plan your trips around the weather"

Okay, well that is somewhat feasible and understandable. What I don't like is the fear of what could happen. Right now in Portland it is 106* and going to be 115* on Monday. Still safe operating temperature, but it has me thinking about how extreme weather patterns are more and more common.

I plan on using this Jeep as my weekend warrior (Unless I decide to trade-in my trusty 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth that I have had since 8 miles and am sentimentally attached to) I plan on taking this Jeep off-road, more overlanding type activities as I don't see myself doing any rock-crawling. I plan on lifting the Jeep, putting larger tires on it, roof-top tent, awning, etc. With the goal of me being able to take a week or so at a time (more during my summer vacation) to travel to various National Forests and camp/live off-grid.

I have tried to find videos on the internet from ACTUAL people driving this Jeep off-road and I can only find reviewers telling me specs. I know the specs, what I want to see is real life footage of this Jeep being a Jeep. So I'm on this forum to see if any of you have videos, or stories you can share about the 4xe that doesn't involve it's performance on pavement. I did not by the 4xe to be more fuel efficient. (I have a Fiat 500 Abarth that averages 35 MPG during my work commute of 3 miles to pick up my work vehicle) I bought the 4xe because of the instant torque, the ability to be out on the trail camping in silence, the possibility of replacing my other car one day and hardly having to buy gas, and the blue accents vs the red.

I want to know that I didn't make a mistake in buying the 4xe. I don't think I did, but not knowing if this 4xe is cut out for overlanding on semi long journeys, and has the possibility of not starting, and since people on numerous forums are saying that the 4xe can just "brick" itself doesn't make me feel very warm inside about it.

I loved how it rode, I love the concept of not sacrificing performance going to electric. I just need to see some real people doing real Jeep things with their 4xe. Or should I swap my order to the 2.0L all gas? Which would be a bummer, but that has predictable performance.

Help...

SDMilazzo

·
Registered
8 Posts
I say go w your gut...you loved it when you drove it. So keep it.

I also was a little concerned about the first model year. The issues are possible, but very unlikely. Its not like this is the first ever PHEV either. They've been around for years now, just not in the Wranglers. I got an extended warranty as part of my negotiations, cause it will cover all my concerns. No big issues so far!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I say go w your gut...you loved it when you drove it. So keep it.

I also was a little concerned about the first model year. The issues are possible, but very unlikely. Its not like this is the first ever PHEV either. They've been around for years now, just not in the Wranglers. I got an extended warranty as part of my negotiations, cause it will cover all my concerns. No big issues so far!
How long have you had yours? Have you taken it on any trails yet?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Okay I am ordering 4xe and I live in Quebec Canada. We surely see minus 30 for few weeks. But the benefits outweighs the risk. My commute is all around 20 miles so saving on gas and we have chargers everywhere. So saving on gas especially gas prices are higher than the USA. Other benefits if I would load the same Sahara( 2.0)L it will cost me more since LED, leather, big screen, colored top are standard in 4XE. Now back To YOU , if it is my secondary car and mostly for over landing then I will run away from the 4XE. Why? Do you know that due to the huge battery and ev engine it burns more fuel when battery is empty? Why you will have your 4V drag that extra ~700 pounds all the time when overlanding . Also for reliablity issues I will not take my 4Xe over landing. If your goal is over landing avoid 4xe it still had a lot of issues . If you want more city driving then it is the best Jeep ever created.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How long have you had yours? Have you taken it on any trails yet?
Owned since early April. And it's been offroad, but nothing like what others on this forum have already done. I'm East coast, our mountains aren't as big! Camp trails haven't been a problem tho.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have tried to find videos on the internet from ACTUAL people driving this Jeep off-road and I can only find reviewers telling me specs. I know the specs, what I want to see is real life footage of this Jeep being a Jeep. So I'm on this forum to see if any of you have videos, or stories you can share about the 4xe that doesn't involve it's performance on pavement. I did not by the 4xe to be more fuel efficient. (I have a Fiat 500 Abarth that averages 35 MPG during my work commute of 3 miles to pick up my work vehicle) I bought the 4xe because of the instant torque, the ability to be out on the trail camping in silence, the possibility of replacing my other car one day and hardly having to buy gas, and the blue accents vs the red.
I got my stock Sahara 4xe through about 1/4 mile of sugar sand deeper than the skid plates. It was an accident as the trail conditions are not normally like that. I couldn't turn around (given little ability to steer) or get into 4L. It felt like being on a boat.

I'd not want to do that again with the stock tires, lol. But it did fine, I just had to keep an eye on the transmission temps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would keep 4xe,not a fan of 2.0,don’t like all the turbo junk.the 3.6 is proven good engine with lots of power.it would be my other choice

·
Registered
325 Posts
I got my stock Sahara 4xe through about 1/4 mile of sugar sand deeper than the skid plates. It was an accident as the trail conditions are not normally like that. I couldn't turn around (given little ability to steer) or get into 4L. It felt like being on a boat.

I'd not want to do that again with the stock tires, lol. But it did fine, I just had to keep an eye on the transmission temps.
did you use left foot brake to have all wheel traction ? other you got only 1 wheel traction with the sahara. low tire psi is bad too in sand with this tires. is tricky, you are not the first one to dig into loose sand.

·
Registered
325 Posts
SDMilazzo with a 3.6 or 2.0 you will do okay for shure, but will the 4xe will will be a new age of pioneer. i don't give much what cars other people buy, your money you choose.

btw..diesel? or v8 ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts