Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please read:

Before you watch this video, please raise your right hand and repeat after me:
“I (insert your name here) promise to not use the information contained in this video for any purpose other than the intended concept.”

I made a little design modification that allows me to temporarily disable the Pedestrian Warning System in the Wrangler 4XE. I believe this system is important but I also believe there are times that being able to turn it off would be beneficial. The method I have used makes sure that the system will reset on the next vehicle power cycle. If you are considering disabling the PWS or installing a bypass switch, I recommend doing something like this so the system resets on the next key cycle.

#wrangler4xevideo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Please read:

Before you watch this video, please raise your right hand and repeat after me:
“I (insert your name here) promise to not use the information contained in this video for any purpose other than the intended concept.”

I made a little design modification that allows me to temporarily disable the Pedestrian Warning System in the Wrangler 4XE. I believe this system is important but I also believe there are times that being able to turn it off would be beneficial. The method I have used makes sure that the system will reset on the next vehicle power cycle. If you are considering disabling the PWS or installing a bypass switch, I recommend doing something like this so the system resets on the next key cycle.

#wrangler4xevideo
Thanks so much for making this. I just ordered the relay but would you mind posting a schematic for posterity? Even a crude one would be awesome sir. Off roading without the alien whir will be amazing!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for making this. I just ordered the relay but would you mind posting a schematic for posterity? Even a crude one would be awesome sir. Off roading without the alien whir will be amazing!
I've been a little reluctant to post that kind of information. The information could be used by people to disable the PWS so I'm still on the fence about sharing.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wanted a system that wouldn't allow me to forget that it's bypassed. You could totally just do a switch but I wanted something that would reset when the vehicle was restarted. The relay is Normally Closed. So when it's powered down, the relay is closed. That way it's totally passive when not used. When it's powered up, it opens. I had to have a relay in place to be able to use the aux button. Then the aux button is set to default to off at restart in the Uconnect.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wanted a system that wouldn't allow me to forget that it's bypassed. You could totally just do a switch but I wanted something that would reset when the vehicle was restarted. The relay is Normally Closed. So when it's powered down, the relay is closed. That way it's totally passive when not used. When it's powered up, it opens. I had to have a relay in place to be able to use the aux button. Then the aux button is set to default to off at restart in the Uconnect.
I love this idea! The use of the Aux button as an auto reset is just like as if it were a factory option. I assume the main reason to turn off is to really quite this thing down while crushing the trails or cruising along the beach. Secondly this would be great for repair shops when listening for a noise while driving. Being able to turn off that last bit off noise will be very helpful to technicians. I will definitely perform this modification. (y)

·
Registered
| 2012 JKU Sahara | 2021 4xe Sahara |
70 Posts
Service technicians probably just temporarily pop out the F47 fuse to silence it without triggering any error codes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been a little reluctant to post that kind of information. The information could be used by people to disable the PWS so I'm still on the fence about sharing.
Understandable, though I think the ner-do-wells that will disable the system will simple unhook the speaker at the tire or hood area to break the circuit and leave it dead. I just want to Jeep through the slower trails with the windows down, the top off and my bald head blowing in the wind without that off-white noise whir happening. I plan on hooking up to an Aux switch like your YouTube video to keep it on in the city. Would you be willing to PM me the info instead of a public post?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Understandable, though I think the ner-do-wells that will disable the system will simple unhook the speaker at the tire or hood area to break the circuit and leave it dead. I just want to Jeep through the slower trails with the windows down, the top off and my bald head blowing in the wind without that off-white noise whir happening. I plan on hooking up to an Aux switch like your YouTube video to keep it on in the city. Would you be willing to PM me the info instead of a public post?
Pretty simple really, just connect the relay coil to the aux line and run the speaker through the NC side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts