Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

Have you had any issues with your 4xe?

• Yes, requiring a service visit immediately (breakdown / tow) and resolved same day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, requiring a service visit immediately (breakdown / tow) and at service for multiple days

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a 4xe badly. I‘ve had a JK in one side of the garage, and a Tesla in the other. The 4xe is the best of both worlds, for now (I’d rather it had more range or was full EV but, baby steps). I want to vote with my wallet here. I literally have a buyer’s order in hand.

I’ve seen issues on here for weeks. It really feels like there are more issues with this model than normal, even for Jeep and even for a new product rollout. To make matters worse, I helped a close friend buy a 4xe and her check engine light came on within 1000 miles (Appointment tomorrow). So it certainly feels like the gremlins are real and many.

But on forums like this, it could be that the perception is not reality. So I figured I’d take a show of hands. How many 4xe owners have problems, and how many are driving around perfectly? Would be great if after choosing an answer in the poll, you could leave a comment with how many miles and if you did have an issue, what it was found to be (If it has been found).

Ultimately I’m looking for a little reassurance. I’m no stranger to problems and I have a pretty high tolerance for imperfections (as I said, I have a JK in one side of the garage and a Tesla in the other) but some of the issues I’m seeing concern me.

Thank you to everyone who takes time to respond to this.

So without further ado...

·
Registered
138 Posts
I’m really enjoying mine. I had a JK and I was looking for something with more power and better gas mileage - best all around combo! Other than my back up lines coming and going this vehicle has been awesome.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Edit: Found the poll!

Don't see a link to a poll, but:

3062 miles, engine turned off on us once while driving, but cycling the ignition got us moving again with no issues since. Used as a daily commuter (56 miles round-trip), and have taken it off-roading in extreme desert heat. Love it, my only regret is not having a jeep sooner!

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Grand Cherokee and JK Wrangler have been the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. Having had a LOT of vehicles, including exclusive brands, I placed a 4xe order as a "wallet vote" of confidence in support of Jeep. I almost went to a Tesla X or Y but could not live with range phobia nor without the fun from a Lego-like Wrangler. Crossing fingers mine gets built on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.:LOL:

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is no option for “My issue is I can’t find one to buy!”

I am in the same boat as you. The comments on message boards make me nervous. But that is the nature of online forums. People go online when they have problems and are looking for solutions. So comments naturally gravitate towards the negative.

·
Registered
590 Posts
It would be interesting if we could limit the poll to users with a certain number of posts. Not to knock people with issues. But joining for an issues skews things. The 4xe forum also seems to draw way more issues than the JL Wrangler forum does.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Disagree. Early gas and diesel versions have plenty of issues and mad owners expressing regret with ESS and various powertrain changes over the years. Manual trans gas engines recently slammed with recall. Lots of issues all around but also eventually solved on an otherwise popular and long life platform.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1400 miles so far and no issues so far. I am cautiously optimistic about my trip from Dallas, TX to Sioux Falls, SD this weekend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I want a 4xe badly. I‘ve had a JK in one side of the garage, and a Tesla in the other. The 4xe is the best of both worlds, for now (I’d rather it had more range or was full EV but, baby steps). I want to vote with my wallet here. I literally have a buyer’s order in hand.

I’ve seen issues on here for weeks. It really feels like there are more issues with this model than normal, even for Jeep and even for a new product rollout. To make matters worse, I helped a close friend buy a 4xe and her check engine light came on within 1000 miles (Appointment tomorrow). So it certainly feels like the gremlins are real and many.

But on forums like this, it could be that the perception is not reality. So I figured I’d take a show of hands. How many 4xe owners have problems, and how many are driving around perfectly? Would be great if after choosing an answer in the poll, you could leave a comment with how many miles and if you did have an issue, what it was found to be (If it has been found).

Ultimately I’m looking for a little reassurance. I’m no stranger to problems and I have a pretty high tolerance for imperfections (as I said, I have a JK in one side of the garage and a Tesla in the other) but some of the issues I’m seeing concern me.

Thank you to everyone who takes time to respond to this.

So without further ado...
I’ve had mine for a month now, and 1200 miles. No major problems, just the backup camera lines and the Uconnect screen flickers every now and then when I use Apple car play, but I think that’s my phone because it would do the same with the Compass I had before.
But so far, I’m very happy with her ☺
Get a lease, maybe? You can take it as a trial period and you get to use the tax credit as a “rebate”. Also, by the time your lease ends, there is a probability that Jeep came out with a battery with more capacity.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’ve had mine for a month now, and 1200 miles. No major problems, just the backup camera lines and the Uconnect screen flickers every now and then when I use Apple car play, but I think that’s my phone because it would do the same with the Compass I had before.
But so far, I’m very happy with her ☺
Get a lease, maybe? You can take it as a trial period and you get to use the tax credit as a “rebate”. Also, by the time your lease ends, there is a probability that Jeep came out with a battery with more capacity.
Does FCA pass through the tax credit as incentive? Last I heard they weren’t doing that, but that was a couple of months ago at this point.

I generally don’t like to lease cars with high resale value. The economics are almost always in the favor of buying. Also I think the old adage of “a lease is temporary” is generally false. Financing is almost always the more flexible option. While a lease may only last 2 years at a place like BMW, they’re generally 4 years for the best terms at Jeep and you’re locked in. Lease swaps are a total pain and harder than just selling a car, and there can be fees and penalties involved in swapping or terminating early.

I keep my cars for about 2-3 years at most (the exception being my JK, which I’ve had for 6 years while the other side of my garage has cycled through BMW i3 [x2], Tesla Model 3 [x2] and a Miata). Because I choose my cars and deals carefully, I have always come out way ahead of a lease.

I did lease my i3s because BMW was passing the tax credit through as incentive, and combined with their rather aggressive volume-driven depreciation estimates that made the math very attractive. I paid about $3,000 total to drive those cars for 30 months, or around $100/mo. They paid for themselves in gas savings by letting the JK sit during commutes. Don’t think I can get the 4xe math to bend the same way.

·
Registered
462 Posts
105 miles. Check engine light came on once, went off after I pushed down a few fuses. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does FCA pass through the tax credit as incentive? Last I heard they weren’t doing that, but that was a couple of months ago at this point.

I generally don’t like to lease cars with high resale value. The economics are almost always in the favor of buying. Also I think the old adage of “a lease is temporary” is generally false. Financing is almost always the more flexible option. While a lease may only last 2 years at a place like BMW, they’re generally 4 years for the best terms at Jeep and you’re locked in. Lease swaps are a total pain and harder than just selling a car, and there can be fees and penalties involved in swapping or terminating early.

I keep my cars for about 2-3 years at most (the exception being my JK, which I’ve had for 6 years while the other side of my garage has cycled through BMW i3 [x2], Tesla Model 3 [x2] and a Miata). Because I choose my cars and deals carefully, I have always come out way ahead of a lease.

I did lease my i3s because BMW was passing the tax credit through as incentive, and combined with their rather aggressive volume-driven depreciation estimates that made the math very attractive. I paid about $3,000 total to drive those cars for 30 months, or around $100/mo. They paid for themselves in gas savings by letting the JK sit during commutes. Don’t think I can get the 4xe math to bend the same way.
They are doing leases thru Ally, pass the $7500 credit on in terms of lower payments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had an issue with my fuel door on day one of ownership which threw a CEL. It was still drivable and the dealership fixed it in one afternoon. No other issues, including no issues with the backup lines. I'm at 1,100 miles.

@Bren Chrysler Capital does pass the tax credit on as an incentive. There are still deals to be had on a 4xe lease. Some people over on Lease Hackr are buying out their leases already and reselling for profit. My lease numbers are listed below for anyone who might be curious.

Sahara 4xe
-MSRP $57k+ MSRP (pre-MSRP price hike, final MSRP $59k+)
-Sale price $52k+
-$7,500 government PHEV incentive taken off sale price of vehicle
-$1,200 down (custom build deposit) + taxes & fees paid out of pocket
-36 mo./10k miles
-66% residual
-.00203 money factor
-$353 per month
-Leased through Chrysler Capital

Reactions: mule65

·
Registered
5 Posts
Test drove the Wrangler 4XE for the first time today and it definately checked most of my boxes - what a beast. But just when I was getting ready to culminate my experience with a kick-down a goddamn red turtle pops up on the screen and all the power just disappeared. Instead of doing 0-60mph in 6 secs it took like 30. 🤪 What an anticlimax.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you try again (don't blame if you didn't), put the transfer case in 4H Auto, traction control off, shift into manual. In manual the engine will come on and you can launch in full hybrid power. Eliminates the initial lag. You can pop back to auto once you move. Some of the lag I think is there for trail control.

Where performance is really impressive is passing type acceleration, like 20 to 70. Almost feels like an electromagnetic rollercoaster launch.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts