Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At home I have a level 2 charger in my garage. Garage is heated, but I rarely turn the heat on. This morning the temps were mid 30s outside, but 60 inside the garage. At those temps, is there a need to precondition the car? I assume not. What would the inside garage temp need to be down to before preconditioning makes sense?

For when I'm not home, I don't have the option to precondition when plugged in. In those circumstances, is there a temp below which is makes sense to remote start and precondition the battery before driving? Will that use less energy than simply driving with a cold battery?

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am not sure we know yet. Generally speaking, the larger the HVB, the less sensitive it is to ambient temp extremes. The 4xe battery is reasonable size for a PHEV so it might tolerate ambient temps down to mid 40s before it wants some heat. Just guessing though.

If you are able, set your charge schedule to reach 100% about 30 min before your expected departure. The battery should retain some heat from the charge event and still be somewhat warm when you leave. You could even remote start with the HVAC in Auto and that should run the heater without starting the ICE.

However, I think there will come a point where the temps are so low that the ICE starts regardless of battery charge or drive mode. Not sure what that threshold might be though....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello,

Over the past couple of weeks the ICE has started when I remote start the Jeep in the morning and evenings as it’s gotten colder.

I am not sure if this is temperature dependent, load dependent or both.

I know for sure it is load dependent. If I have the heat cranked when I turn the vehicle off, the ICE starts up when I remote start. If I don’t have the heat cranked/leave it at low the engine doesn’t start up.

I also seem to remember the ICE starting even if I am stationary and then really turn up the heat.

Watch the hybrid pages, turn the heat up and look at the draw on the battery, it will increase, heating doesn’t seem to appear under climate draw, it doesn’t change.

Then turn off the climate control/fan and watch the battery consumption drop.

Heating the vehicle uses a lot of energy so I am not surprised that the ICE kicks in to assist.

When I b do this I am parked outside but plugged into a level 2 charger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello! I have the same general question.

Temps have fallen in Idaho as winter is approaching. I park my 4xe in the driveway overnight so it is exposed to whatever the temperature is outside. Last week the temperature was down in the upper 20's. The jeep was fully charged when I remote started it. The gas engine started up right away and stayed on for what seemed like 15 plus minutes as the windows slowly defrosted. I figured that it was using a lot of power to preheat the cabin and defrost the glass so it needed a boost from the gas engine. I'm not happy with this function. I bought this vehicle to feel a bit better about my impact on the environment. Seeing it spill exhaust in the cold morning air puts an exclamation on my dissatisfaction with this process.

I decided to leave the 4xe plugged in overnight so the next morning when I remote started it there should be no issues with battery load as it is still hooked up to our home. Just for note, we do have a 50amp 240 charger for the jeep. However, the same thing happened as the gas engine fired straight up. So I want to know if there is a solution for this or do I have to deal with my vehicle spewing exhaust every winter morning as my car defrosts. This would be a total bummer.

I reached out to Jeep customer care but they had no idea what I was talking about and had no place to send me besides our local dealership who I have found to know little about the 4xe when I have questions.

Hopefully, there is a jeep 4xe program engineer out there that might weigh in on the question.

Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts

Temps have fallen in Idaho as winter is approaching. I park my 4xe in the driveway overnight so it is exposed to whatever the temperature is outside. Last week the temperature was down in the upper 20's. The jeep was fully charged when I remote started it. The gas engine started up right away and stayed on for what seemed like 15 plus minutes as the windows slowly defrosted. I figured that it was using a lot of power to preheat the cabin and defrost the glass so it needed a boost from the gas engine. I'm not happy with this function. I bought this vehicle to feel a bit better about my impact on the environment. Seeing it spill exhaust in the cold morning air puts an exclamation on my dissatisfaction with this process.

I decided to leave the 4xe plugged in overnight so the next morning when I remote started it there should be no issues with battery load as it is still hooked up to our home. Just for note, we do have a 50amp 240 charger for the jeep. However, the same thing happened as the gas engine fired straight up. So I want to know if there is a solution for this or do I have to deal with my vehicle spewing exhaust every winter morning as my car defrosts. This would be a total bummer.

I reached out to Jeep customer care but they had no idea what I was talking about and had no place to send me besides our local dealership who I have found to know little about the 4xe when I have questions.

Hopefully, there is a jeep 4xe program engineer out there that might weigh in on the question.

Thanks!
You are verifying a concern of mine. I was hoping that when plugged in, it could condition the cabin without the ICE.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It would be nice if the vehicle would condition the battery when plugged in (do we know for sure if it does/doesn't?) but I can't help but be thankful to have that 2.0L as a backstop. A friend of mine got stranded for a while when he parked his Tesla S overnight at a hotel without the ability to plug in (had 50%+ charge). He waited for 10-20min before the car would let him drive. No pun intended, but that situation is a non-starter for me to adopt a pure EV. I like the 4xe PHEV setup. A lot!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are verifying a concern of mine. I was hoping that when plugged in, it could condition the cabin without the ICE.
This is a major drawback of this car. There should be a scheduler included where you can schedule battery warmup and/or cabin warm up, while plugged in, and a guarantee that the ICE won't come on. My garage is usually above freezing, but I'm not taking any chances and remote starting with the garage door closed. Opening the garage door to remote start doesn't make a ton of sense since that will allow cold into the car. A scheduler to warm up battery first, then warm up cabin, using only the battery, would be ideal, and I assume, relatively easy to implement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine is doing the same - I thought it was supposed to pre-heat the battery and interior with electric when plugged in and remote start - mine does not. It appears only some have this issue - maybe enough at some point that Jeep will address it.
Below 10C/50F mine starts the ICE every time (remote and from the dash) runs for around 10 mins.
0C/32F to 10C/50F it runs ICE progressively more
Below 0C/32F it will not run in electric at all.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe (on order)
79 Posts
At home I have a level 2 charger in my garage. Garage is heated, but I rarely turn the heat on. This morning the temps were mid 30s outside, but 60 inside the garage. At those temps, is there a need to precondition the car? I assume not. What would the inside garage temp need to be down to before preconditioning makes sense?

For when I'm not home, I don't have the option to precondition when plugged in. In those circumstances, is there a temp below which is makes sense to remote start and precondition the battery before driving? Will that use less energy than simply driving with a cold battery?

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this.
@Selbeast We are all pretty much in the learning stages on this forum. Some members have previous ev experience but the 4xe seems to be unique in many ways. I too have a heated garage so am not interested in remote starting or preconditioning. The 4xe here is parked near 1,000 gallons of hot water storage that is used for home heating. The parking area rarely gets below 60F over the winter. Even when the outdoor is minusF temps.
@John Yarnell I prefer to begin a drive with the ice propulsion (hybrid mode and M trans mode) until the engine coolant reaches temperature, and then switch to regular auto trans mode. This is to allow the ice to initially bear the burden of cabin heating due to being quite a demand on the battery. I guess it comes down to what a person prefers, I prefer to use the battery for propulsion. I understand a different strategy may suit others' priority.

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
For some odd reason Stellantis didn't bother developing new app functionality for the 4xe. Even the 2015 Fiat 500e (same company) had a preconditioning feature in their original app and the much older Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV had preconditioning with scheduling so it's not like they didn't know this was a basic feature. They probably just didn't have the developer resources.

Given the difficulty in hiring software engineers in secondary markets I'll bet this doesn't get resolved anytime soon unless they decide to outsource the whole thing rather than mess around with it in-house.

This is a major drawback of this car. There should be a scheduler included where you can schedule battery warmup and/or cabin warm up, while plugged in, and a guarantee that the ICE won't come on. My garage is usually above freezing, but I'm not taking any chances and remote starting with the garage door closed. Opening the garage door to remote start doesn't make a ton of sense since that will allow cold into the car. A scheduler to warm up battery first, then warm up cabin, using only the battery, would be ideal, and I assume, relatively easy to implement.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Here is the cold weather post. I put it on another thread here.

Cold Weather Operation of the Wrangler 4xe

Remote start and regular button start will both work, with an EVSE plugged in. That’s a great way to warm the battery and the cabin using energy from the wall. The Jeep will not shift out of Park until you remove the charge handle, to prevent accidentally driving off while plugged in. The plug icon in the cluster gives you a heads up.

You might see Fuel/Oil Refresh more frequently in cold weather. That’s because short engine runtimes in cold temperatures are most conducive to fuel dilution into the engine oil. If this happens, the solution is to get the engine warm and keep it running for up to an hour and a half to evaporate the fuel out of the oil… or change the engine oil.

Here’s what to expect as mornings get colder. All of this logic is true, whether an EVSE is plugged in or not:

Above ~32°F, and with sufficient battery and fuel, the vehicle will usually power up silently (ICE not running). The exception is if you have a very high HVAC demand.

Below 32°F but above 10°F, the ICE engine will also run at startup. You can select Electric mode to shut it off, relying instead on the electric heaters. There will be a range penalty. If you use remote start in a cold garage, take note exhaust will be emitted.

Below 10°F, the engine will always run until various systems are up to operating temperature. Electric mode will be unavailable during warmup. At these temperatures, the electric heater really isn’t an efficient way to heat the cabin, and your EV range would be greatly reduced by that anyway. The same is true of BEV’s, but they don’t have an ICE to help.

If it’s below ~5°F outside when you shut down, the instrument cluster will advise you to plug in an EVSE to maintain battery temperature. This is only strictly necessary in case the battery temp falls below -20°F overnight. Level 1 or Level 2 are suitable.

All the way down to -20°F, the Jeep can start unassisted (without an EVSE connected). This is the same capability as other Wranglers and most ICE vehicles.

If outside temperature is likely to fall below -20°F, you definitely want to connect an EVSE overnight. The Jeep will wake up periodically and warm and circulate coolant to facilitate a restart. It’s not necessary to also connect a block heater.

With an EVSE connected, the Jeep can start as low as -40°F. This is the same performance a other Wranglers and the best production ICE vehicles - they require block heaters in these temperatures.

Happy Snow-Jeeping! 🙂

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is the cold weather post. I put it on another thread here.

Cold Weather Operation of the Wrangler 4xe

Remote start and regular button start will both work, with an EVSE plugged in. That’s a great way to warm the battery and the cabin using energy from the wall. The Jeep will not shift out of Park until you remove the charge handle, to prevent accidentally driving off while plugged in. The plug icon in the cluster gives you a heads up.

You might see Fuel/Oil Refresh more frequently in cold weather. That’s because short engine runtimes in cold temperatures are most conducive to fuel dilution into the engine oil. If this happens, the solution is to get the engine warm and keep it running for up to an hour and a half to evaporate the fuel out of the oil… or change the engine oil.

Here’s what to expect as mornings get colder. All of this logic is true, whether an EVSE is plugged in or not:

Above ~32°F, and with sufficient battery and fuel, the vehicle will usually power up silently (ICE not running). The exception is if you have a very high HVAC demand.

Below 32°F but above 10°F, the ICE engine will also run at startup. You can select Electric mode to shut it off, relying instead on the electric heaters. There will be a range penalty. If you use remote start in a cold garage, take note exhaust will be emitted.

Below 10°F, the engine will always run until various systems are up to operating temperature. Electric mode will be unavailable during warmup. At these temperatures, the electric heater really isn’t an efficient way to heat the cabin, and your EV range would be greatly reduced by that anyway. The same is true of BEV’s, but they don’t have an ICE to help.

If it’s below ~5°F outside when you shut down, the instrument cluster will advise you to plug in an EVSE to maintain battery temperature. This is only strictly necessary in case the battery temp falls below -20°F overnight. Level 1 or Level 2 are suitable.

All the way down to -20°F, the Jeep can start unassisted (without an EVSE connected). This is the same capability as other Wranglers and most ICE vehicles.

If outside temperature is likely to fall below -20°F, you definitely want to connect an EVSE overnight. The Jeep will wake up periodically and warm and circulate coolant to facilitate a restart. It’s not necessary to also connect a block heater.

With an EVSE connected, the Jeep can start as low as -40°F. This is the same performance a other Wranglers and the best production ICE vehicles - they require block heaters in these temperatures.

Happy Snow-Jeeping! 🙂
What can we do if our Jeep doesn’t operate this way but Jeep tech line is telling the dealer that it is operating properly?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts