Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 4xe Sahara and have been driving it for only 3 days. First 2 days I drove in complete electric, never activating the ICE engine. 40 miles in total, no issues what so ever. Today I figured I'd force the ICE on to put some miles on it as well. I switched over to esave mode to see what it felt like to drive, didn't have any issues except for the transmission feeling a bit clunky when the engine would fire back up pulling away from a stop. Assumed that was probably just normal and that it would possibly smooth out with time. When I got home and put the Jeep in park, which of course had shut the ICE off already, is where I encountered the issue. The entire engine rocks like it's trying to start. You can hear and feel what feels like the etorque motor up front trying to start the ICE, but the ICE does not start. It pulses every 3-5 seconds, with a clunk sound similar to a rough downshift, and the entire engine "shakes" like an old V8 when they start. I wouldn't say it's "violent", but VERY noticeable. It actually spooked me when it first "cranked" over. The longest I kept the power on was about 20-30 seconds, just trying to see if it would stop .It continued until I shut the ignition off. Once power cycled the problem goes away. No CEL or service messages.

I then went back out and drove in only electric and had no issues putting it back into park. I tested the issue multiple times, and have found whenever the gas engine turns on while driving I run into the problem once I put the Jeep into park. If I just sit stopped, but in drive, no issue. If, while the problem is happening, I put it in drive or reverse, it goes away, only to come back as soon as I put it back in park. If I power cycle the Jeep, the issue goes away.

I have checked all the fuses under the hood, all was well. No open recalls or RRT's on my VIN, made sure my local service department checked when 4xe arrived, and it was built 9/15. My local dealer doesn't have any experience with the 4xe platform, so I figured I'd throw up a post in here to see if anyone has experienced or heard about this happening. I've been researching everything 4xe for the past month and have not come across anyone with this issue. I've got about 80 miles on it now total.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally found someone with the same noise, he posted a video on the 4xe fans facebook page. His Jeep needed a complete new transmission, and took over 2 months to get the part. NOT looking good. Another person in the comments also posted a short video of a 4xe in park after he took it for a short test drive making the same noise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
engine shakes ..not all cylinder working ..sparkplug not connected or loose spark. low motor oil . getting not enough gasoline ( pump).
to say more ..must see feel taste :)
My bad for not making that clear, the ICE engine is OFF in park when it makes the noise. Vehicle is on in READY state with electric only. When I cycle the power the noise goes away. If I drive in only electric I have no issue when I put it into park. Dead silent, perfectly fine. But it happens every time if/when the ICE (gas) engine is used during the drive. When the noise is happening, which is a one second pulse about once every 2-3 seconds in park, it goes away when put into drive or reverse. Comes back when put back into park. Only goes away once I cycle the power off/on.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you are in PARK and elec only drive and hit the car accelerator the ice will jump on, the idle is high if the ice starts at 4xe but shaking is not normal. maybe you need to finish the breakin period for the ice.
The Motor will go on if the system needs cooling and charging the 12 volt battery as well.
in Mode electric only the ice will turn on if you press the accelerator more .
so i guess your 4xe is fine .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are in PARK and elec only drive and hit the car accelerator the ice will jump on, the idle is high if the ice starts at 4xe but shaking is not normal. maybe you need to finish the breakin period for the ice.
The Motor will go on if the system needs cooling and charging the 12 volt battery as well.
in Mode electric only the ice will turn on if you press the accelerator more .
so i guess your 4xe is fine .
The engine is not on when the issue happens. The Jeep is in park, ICE off, vehicle in ready state. I thought the noise was the ICE engine trying to start over and over, but it looks like it might be the transmission. Strange that it's fine if only electric was used. But like I said, I found someone else that had the same exact problem and the dealer is replacing the transmission and wiring harness. In my case, with only 80 miles, obviously something wasn't right when it left the factory. I'm assuming my problem would have appeared sooner if I had gotten the ICE engine to turn on earlier, but my first 2 days I drove on battery only.

·
Registered
| 2012 JKU Sahara | 2021 4xe Sahara |
159 Posts
Just for a reminder, the noise ONLY occurs when the Jeep is in PARK, after driving with ICE use.
Your description sounds similar to @Nelly few months back:

Will need a follow up from him/her to see if after some time and usage, it went away like their dealer service claimed it would.

Check your transmission fluid level just in case?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine is perfect when in all electric. It doesn’t start giving problems until it hits the <1% and goes to hybrid mode. Mine will then do that cycling when sitting in park and also sometimes in a drive thru while sitting in D. Also when the gas engine kicks in, it engages really hard, almost jarring. nothing smooth at all. Feels like it will tear up the transmission if it keeps it up.

Strange enough, if I put the Jeep in e save mode before it it hits the 1% level, it runs perfectly. The engine switches on and off very smoothly with the electric and doesn’t do the crazy pulse in park or when sitting in drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine is perfect when in all electric. It doesn’t start giving problems until it hits the <1% and goes to hybrid mode. Mine will then do that cycling when sitting in park and also sometimes in a drive thru while sitting in D. Also when the gas engine kicks in, it engages really hard, almost jarring. nothing smooth at all. Feels like it will tear up the transmission if it keeps it up.

Strange enough, if I put the Jeep in e save mode before it it hits the 1% level, it runs perfectly. The engine switches on and off very smoothly with the electric and doesn’t do the crazy pulse in park or when sitting in drive.
I switched into esave mode on my drive today with about 50% battery remaining, and drove for another 10min or so. My Jeep ran very smooth in and out of electric just like yours. Also, when I got home and put the Jeep into park it didn't make the noise, so it sounds like you and I are having almost the same exact problem. I have yet to experience the issue in D yet, only when in park. Still driving 100% fine when operating on battery only.

Starting to wonder if it's NOT a problem with the transmission itself, since the trans does shift fine when in electric, and operated fine in esave without any "spirited" acceleration. I'm at a loss right now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have forced the ICE on over the past couple of days to see what would happen with the noise and so far everything has been all good. Not ready to say I'm in the clear yet, definitely still nervous about laying into the throttle, keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

To the others in this thread with the same issue, has your noise gone away for lengths of time, only to come back? Like I already said, mine is fine in all electric, it was ICE use that triggered the issue. But so far the past couple of days it has been all good.

·
Registered
303 Posts

Have forced the ICE on over the past couple of days to see what would happen with the noise and so far everything has been all good. Not ready to say I'm in the clear yet, definitely still nervous about laying into the throttle, keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

To the others in this thread with the same issue, has your noise gone away for lengths of time, only to come back? Like I already said, mine is fine in all electric, it was ICE use that triggered the issue. But so far the past couple of days it has been all good.
If either of you plan to bring your Jeep to the dealer, we are here to help. Send our team a private message at that time to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.