Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lease my house from a rather large REIT that touts their ESG policies and commitment to reduce carbon emissions.

Anyway I asked if I could install a Level 2 charger at my own cost, showed them their own ESG policy from their investor's portal, etc. and they wouldn't even listen to or entertain the request.

When maintenance came for some work the technician basically just told me to not ask and just diy as it would require no permanent modification. He said he wouldn't tell, lol.

It sucks as the panel is directly in front of where I park. I'm being teased by how easy of a job it would be.

I typically like to do things legit but have limited rights here as a lessee. I'd need a permit and would need to go through the company.

Anyone else in a similar situation and had any luck?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I lease my house from a rather large REIT that touts their ESG policies and commitment to reduce carbon emissions.

Anyway I asked if I could install a Level 2 charger at my own cost, showed them their own ESG policy from their investor's portal, etc. and they wouldn't even listen to or entertain the request.

When maintenance came for some work the technician basically just told me to not ask and just diy as it would require no permanent modification. He said he wouldn't tell, lol.

It sucks as the panel is directly in front of where I park. I'm being teased by how easy of a job it would be.

I typically like to do things legit but have limited rights here as a lessee. I'd need a permit and would need to go through the company.

Anyone else in a similar situation and had any luck?
mybrenters split the $2000 cost with me. Win win

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are there two non-GFCI outlets on two different circuits in the garage?
Interesting :unsure: I don't think so but I'll check. There are some odd runs I can see but I haven't traced the circuits. I usually try to not run anything like my power washer when I'm charging as I assumed they were all the same.

The dryer line is inside and nothing else I could tap into unless I give up my hot water heater. Other than the panel with an open spot right next to my charging port, lol.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Interesting :unsure: I don't think so but I'll check. There are some odd runs I can see but I haven't traced the circuits. I usually try to not run anything like my power washer when I'm charging as I assumed they were all the same.

The dryer line is inside and nothing else I could tap into unless I give up my hot water heater. Other than the panel with an open spot right next to my charging port, lol.
Unless it's bigger than a standard 40gal, your water heater isn't on a large enough breaker. I believe the Level 2 charger is designed for a 40 amp circuit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Listen, two types of level 2. One is hardwiring the other type require zero modifications which plug and play if you have dryer outlet or 220V.
If you have 220V you need no permission from anyway.
Careful with this option as you might find yourself under charging. Many but not all 40amp drier circuits are only wired with one hot leg and for proper level 2 charging you need to hot legs (120 volts per leg) plus neutral and ground (4 wires total). Some existing 50amp circuits also might be in compatible where a 20 and 30 amp breaker have been bridged together to make 50amp for things like motorhomes and travel trailers.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My dryer circuit is fine, it's just located inside the house.

I've been having a hard time this week. If I can get on the charger by 6PM I'm not fully charged before it's time to leave for work. I'll need to visit Whole Foods to get caught up!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Are there two non-GFCI outlets on two different circuits in the garage?
This is weird, I just inspected my panel again and I see there are 3, 20 amp circuits that were added post construction to the panel. They are not marked. Coming out of the ceiling, I can see the garage GFI circuit where I'm currently charging from.

Coming out of the panel and routed externally are 3 separate wires. Two go down one run to two separate outlets, about 3 or 4 feet from each other. The other wire heads to the other side of the garage to four outlets installed just below the ceiling. I had often been wondering why there were so many high outlets up there. This work looks DIY post construction.

So it very well looks like I have two non gfi outlets on different dedicated circuits just feet from where I park. I could easily modify the run to terminate both circuits to the same junction. I'll test later to see if they are independent. I just need to wait for everyone's remote college sessions to be over before I start throwing switches. What I don't know is if they are on separate busses.

I suspect perhaps a previous occupant had a workshop in the garage and may have added these for machines.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I confirmed they are separate circuits but unfortunately, they are in phase with each other. The hot sides have 0V potential

So close, yet so far to having a solution! There are literally two outlets 3 feet from each other next to my charging port on independent circuits.

Anyone know how feasible it would be to swap one circuit to a different leg? All 3 of these dedicated garage breakers are on the top right of the panel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts