Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find a clear explanation of the drivetrain on Jeep's website so trying to find my answer here.

In hybrid mode, does the 4xe still get the max power (375 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque) when the battery is empty? Or it will fall back to the gas engine purely and drag the battery as dead weight?

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Even when the battery is "empty" there is still energy in it the battery is 17.3 kwh and the Jeep will use about 15 kwh and show less then 1 percent or "empty" but the battery will still offer the boost of the electric motors all the time when needed That's how I've come to understand it. The 4xe is always a hybrid. Even if the battery is "depleted".

·
Registered
188 Posts
So I assume that reserved part of the battery (2.3 kwh) is charged while the car is driving? Otherwise it would eventually run out and the battery would be "real" empty.
The remaining battery capacity is divided into two sections. One for hybrid use which remains with some charge at all times and another section that remains uncharged.

This ensures the battery is never fully charged or never fully discharged.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So I assume that reserved part of the battery (2.3 kwh) is charged while the car is driving? Otherwise it would eventually run out and the battery would be "real" empty.
From what I've researched the engine can/will also act as a generator to power the battery as needed if it's never plugged in. You can actually select to do that more but it hurts fuel economy for a net-loss but is there if you NEED to I guess.

Kind of crazy the amount of tech work they did for it. Would've been easier to make a pure-electric Wrangler but I'm guessing they didn't due to battery tech it wouldn't get enough range.

·
Registered
264 Posts
From what I've researched the engine can/will also act as a generator to power the battery as needed if it's never plugged in. You can actually select to do that more but it hurts fuel economy for a net-loss but is there if you NEED to I guess.

Kind of crazy the amount of tech work they did for it. Would've been easier to make a pure-electric Wrangler but I'm guessing they didn't due to battery tech it wouldn't get enough range.
Range and cost. It would be hard for Jeep to drop a 6 figure Wrangler on the lot. What we have to keep in mind is that Jeep has to sell volume. An upstart can sell 5,000 units and there would be a celebration. If Jeep came out with a new model and only sold 5,000 units there would be some pink slips issued.

·
Registered
188 Posts

Manufacturers are scrambling to secure battery cells from the various suppliers. Jeep can make 5 PHEVs with the same allocation of battery cells as 1 BEV Wrangler. Plus, making BEVs is hard. Seems simple. It isn't. Just look at Ford, VW amd Kia. All have very viable BEVs in their portfolio yet they are struggling to get them to market in any meaningful quantities.

Don't expect to see the Lightning, BEV Bronco, BEV Wrangler or anything else cool for quite a while longer still. Maybe Rivian will get some units out this year but it will be limited. Even next year....maybe 30,000 trucks if they are lucky.

Jeep sold 70,000 Wranglers in Q2 alone. Everybody is saying they have all these cool BEV models coming soon. Yeah, if 2025 can be considered soon. My niece has been waiting for the VW bus and she is bow looking at 2024 at the earliest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts