Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a unique charging situation as I park about 200ft from my condo. I can run an extension cable from my patio to my parking spot. I've read online that the Jeep charger included with the 4xe is rated at 12 amps. I was thinking of purchasing this. But i'm no an electrician. Does anyone have any insight or warnings?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
592 Posts
The cord you link is only 14 gauge which at 200 feet and drawing 12 amps will only supply 107 volts, assuming your receptacle is providing 120 volts. That's a voltage loss of about 11%. Generally you want that to be less than 5% (that's the requirement by national electric code for branch circuits). And personally I'd try and keep it to less than 3%. 10 gauge will get you below 5% and 6 gauge below 3%. Both will be heavy! And likely expensive because of the copper content. Also, as the voltage drops the demand may go up to make up the difference. If the charger pulls 12 amps at 120 volts that's 1440 watts... So at 107 volts it would need 13.5 amps for the same 1440 watts. That's also more power than I'd want to draw from a 15 amp circuit for more than a few moments. Hopefully, you're starting with a 20 amp circuit. Below is a link to a random voltage drop calculator:

I have a unique charging situation as I park about 200ft from my condo. I can run an extension cable from my patio to my parking spot. I've read online that the Jeep charger included with the 4xe is rated at 12 amps. I was thinking of purchasing this. But i'm no an electrician. Does anyone have any insight or warnings?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
592 Posts
Years ago manuals used to have a table, based on the amp draw of their device, that would indicate length and gauge required. My assumption is that for liability reasons it's easier to just say don't do it so they've covered themselves for any issues that arise. But, sized correctly, an extension cord shouldn't matter...

I believe in the 4xe Supplement Manual it states "do not use an extension cord"...
Yes. Page 10 of the Hybrid Supplement:

View attachment 3254

·
Registered
267 Posts
All I can tell you is when I ran my extension cord 30 feet after about three hours it got extremely hot and started melting the cord. So I never use an extension cord anymore it could be I just had a really cheap extension cord but it kind of worried me

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
592 Posts
So it was you! You're the reason they say don't do it! 😆 Just kidding... (sort of).

Seriously though: the extension cord really shouldn't be the most dangerous aspect of a vehicle with a lithium ion battery (lithium spontaneously and violently ignites in the presence of air (oxygen) and is extremely difficult to extinguish), 17 - 20 gallons of gasoline (an extremely volatile, nearly explosive liquid that's also hard to extinguish once ignited), and a 400 volt battery (enough to stop your heart on contact).

All I can tell you is when I ran my extension cord 30 feet after about three hours it got extremely hot and started melting the cord. So I never use an extension cord anymore it could be I just had a really cheap extension cord but it kind of worried me

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have a heavy 10 ga extension cord for my shop. It has a 4 gang plug box on the end. I use that for L1 charging all the time.
Just make sure your plug and receptacles are firmly plugged in on both ends and you should be fine.

Same rules apply. Dedicated circuit with nothing else substantial on that circuit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is going to pose a problem for you. If it was 40 ft, I'd say do what I did and buy a j1772 extension cord from the charger/plug end to the car. But it would be way to expensive and I'm not sure worth the $2000 for extension cords. Talk to your HOA and see if they can provide a car charger for you. Convince them that within the next 3-5 years they're going to need multiple chargers for EVs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Noted.
Note also that I didn't say don't use an extension, just referenced what Jeep says.
Having said that, it's apparent by the comments in this thread that not everyone knows the load-carrying capacity of various gauge wires. Rather than sending everyone to electrician school, Jeep issued a blanket 'don't do it' statement which is probably good advice for the vast majority of 4xe owners and potential owners. Be safe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 50’ 12g extension cord running from my second story apartment window to the parking lot. Safest thing ever? No. Apartment complex won’t install a charging station. Occasionally the cord is warm to touch, but I’ve only noticed that when it was warm outside and the sun was shining on it. I’d love to upgrade the extension cord, but this works and I already own it. My wife gets annoyed that she has to unplug the extension cord before drying her hair, but that’s apartment life for you.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a 50’ 12g extension cord running from my second story apartment window to the parking lot. Safest thing ever? No. Apartment complex won’t install a charging station. Occasionally the cord is warm to touch, but I’ve only noticed that when it was warm outside and the sun was shining on it. I’d love to upgrade the extension cord, but this works and I already own it. My wife gets annoyed that she has to unplug the extension cord before drying her hair, but that’s apartment life for you.
Enter to use a 10guage, less restrictive and more voltage going to the jeep = less heat buildup and faster charge

1 - 14 of 14 Posts