Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you do the math, using a 17.2 gallon Gas tank, it comes out to 52 mpg. Yet, the Jeep shows 36.4? Just posting so people can see real gas numbers. This is a little below average for my usual driving. In general, the majority is driven this way:
33 mile each way commute.
I leave around 4 AMish
I drive 33 miles to work
Charge at work using level 1
Leave around 1630-1730
Drive 33 miles home
Charge level 1 over night.
sometimes I drive more on the way home going to sporting events for the kids groceries etc.
my commute is about half 4 lane state highways 45-60mph and half 2 lane country road 45-60 mph with Max Regen on.
I love it.
just wanted to share.
Gauge Font Auto part Measuring instrument Speedometer

·
Registered
2021 4xE Sahara
230 Posts
Yet, the Jeep shows 36.4?
I'm not quite sure how the lifetime MPG on the left is calculated. I have a trip that's lasted the entire life of the vehicle and it's MPG does not match. Somebody's code is broken or perhaps it's supposed to be this way. My average was ~40 before FORM mode. Now it's ~25. Hoping to stay out of that since driving in electric is gloriously quiet.

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
1,223 Posts
∞ isn't a number, it's a representation of a concept. And i don't think it applies here. When you're not burning gas you'd be getting zero miles per gallon not infinite miles per gallon, right?

The problem is how the Jeep is calculating MPG. When you run fully electric, the Jeep pegs your gasoline MPG at 99 rather than ∞ like it actually is. Your calculation is more accurate.

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
437 Posts
I built a spreadsheet to calculate the MPG displayed on the Jeep based on charging and gas mileage. Depending on the assumptions you use you can get as high as about 70 MPG displayed as it does take in to account eh equivalent MPG from the electricity in the overall calculation. You can find the spreadsheet here:

Jeep 4xe MPG Calculation

The key things to try are how many miles per charge you get (up to 31 miles I have tried) and what the gas MPG is in the car (where I have used 20 in my calcs) If you use these 2 numbers and do nothing but short drives and charge the jeep thousands of times you will get a displayed MPG of roughly 70 MPG maximum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yep the gauge is not the whole picture. My last tank I went a total of 400 miles between fill ups. I put just over 10 gallons in so 40 mpg but hybrid miles were only 187. So 18.7 mpg when the ICE is running. And making it even more complicated is that we had cold temps coming in so I got gas earlier than I needed to. I could have waited and racked up even more electric miles on the last tank before filling up. Regardless my display hovers at 30.

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
437 Posts
In the end what everyone really cares about is how much they spend to go a certain distance - so easiest way to keep it simple is to calculate the cost per mile you are getting as someone else recommended. I have included that calculation in the spreadsheet I linked to earlier. It seems that if you get your average around $0.10/mile you are doing well, but will of course depend on your electric rate and gas prices in your area.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The funny part is I work at a Nuclear power plant and charge for free there. The level one charging at home isn’t even visible on my bill the KWh is so low charging level one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.