Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home last night looking for the seat heater button (hey, it's Florida with doors and top off and it got below 80 degrees), I noticed a rear defrost button. I have a JLUR and no hard top option. It lights up when pressed, but not sure what it's hooked to.
Would be nice if there's wires back there near the back-up lights so I could wire them in for manual illumination offroad. Anybody know what's up with this? Older Jeeps I've owned only had that with the hard top or dual top option.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Side mirrors. Check and see if you have the defrost symbol on the side mirrors.

Typically if you order just the soft top, you won’t have the wiring harness for the rear electronics and window washer fluid. I have a 2019 JLU Soft top, no wiring for the hard top electronics, but that same defrost button is for my side mirrors.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Typically if you order just the soft top, you won’t have the wiring harness for the rear electronics and window washer fluid. I have a 2019 JLU Soft top, no wiring for the hard top electronics, but that same defrost button is for my side mirrors.
Ahhh....good point. I'll check the mirrors. They're in the garage. Doors still off for now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Got back home and checked the doors. Yep, defrost on the side mirrors. Doubt that will get used in FL, but might come in handy when we go out west this winter. Thanks for the lead.

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler 4XE Sahara
43 Posts
I wish they had a "hot weather" group for those of us in FL, it's not like I need the heated group stuff here...

·
Registered
4xe Rubicon, AP1 S2000
56 Posts
This brings up an excellent point that people may not realize. If you are torn between the HT and the ST, and you expect you might purchase one and add the other later in the aftermarket or used market, always order the HT. It’s much easier to add the ST, and much harder to wire in the rear defroster, wiper, and washer that the HT includes.

Reactions: Aaron

·
Registered
157 Posts
This brings up an excellent point that people may not realize. If you are torn between the HT and the ST, and you expect you might purchase one and add the other later in the aftermarket or used market, always order the HT. It’s much easier to add the ST, and much harder to wire in the rear defroster, wiper, and washer that the HT includes.
I can attest to this 100%. I made the mistake of getting the soft top and then bought the hardtop. I just didn’t run the wires.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can attest to this 100%. I made the mistake of getting the soft top and then bought the hardtop. I just didn’t run the wires.
My first Jeep was a 98 TJ with the dual top package. Had the wiring and everything. After about 5 years, the hard top never went on. Now it's a storage issue. Just depends on what you plan long term. I keep my toys in the garage so the soft top is the only way for me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My first Jeep was a 98 TJ with the dual top package. Had the wiring and everything. After about 5 years, the hard top never went on. Now it's a storage issue. Just depends on what you plan long term. I keep my toys in the garage so the soft top is the only way for me.
Yeah, I had an 06 TJ soft top before the JLU. We still used my wife’s rav4 for all family traveling. I got the JLU after my dog passed and I didn’t think we would get another dog for a while. Well, that changed and I needed a place for the kids AND the dog and all our crap for traveling. So i bought the hard top so I could put the cargo carrier on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts