Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellow 4XE owners!

I just leased 2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4XE yesterday. I leased from out of state so we actually flew out from Seattle to Las Vegas to pick one up from a volume dealer out there.

I am pumped to have the 4XE and its an amazing vehicle so far but....

We are about half way on our trip back to Seattle (stopping Boise).

On our way into Boise, we noticed a flapping noise and saw that as it start to drizzle there was a light misting of rain coming in.

We stopped and saw that right above the driver's side on the left, the fabric has about a half inch 'gap' between it and the railing, we can see straight through the gap. On the passenger's side, the fabric is very clearly synched in and is sealed tight. We reopened and opened the roof to see if it would correct itself but it is clear it needs to be re-attached or adjusted.

Does anyone have any ideas on what we should do? We are only halfway to our destination and are thinking of stopping to get a hotel to try to see if a local dealership can quickly fix it as anytime it rains we are misted. Maybe JeepWave can help or does anyone know which dealer in Boise could really help out?

I don't like the idea of driving another 800 miles with an open top on 80 mile an hour highways.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Duct tape...
Yeah, I don't have an exact sense of what the OP is describing (maybe a pic?), but I was going to suggest the same thing - and not in a joking way, seriously, if there's a gap in a solid roof, then a little duct tape might give you enough "waterproofing" to get it home, vs.trying to coordinate with a dealer while you're still on the road (with a canvas/soft top, tape may not be an option ...)

FWIW, I've used duct tape on painted surfaces, never had any issues, if you wanted something a little easier to remove, wide (usually blue) painters tape might work, it's less water resistance, but still decent, and easier to remove, and that's what I always used for paint protection at track events (I'm talking 8-10" sections of the car covered in painters tape :D Talking events where I drove 2-3 hours away, sometimes in rain, and it was mostly intact when I got home)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes it is!

Ahh, OK, that makes sense. Almost sounds like the soft part of the top, isn't connected/stitched/fastened to the (what I'd assume) is a metal frame, I haven't seen that top in person, but I own a convertible, so I kind of figure the execution is along the same lines.

Since that's a modular piece, I think I'd have them replace the entire top (if that's where the issue is).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is the soft part of the top, unfortunately, we can't find anyone locally to help fix it, not sure what to do as we don't know if we should keep driving with it open or not.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It is the soft part of the top, unfortunately, we can't find anyone locally to help fix it, not sure what to do as we don't know if we should keep driving with it open or not.
Maybe - again - some duct tape and trash bags, I mean, they're both water resistant, maybe you could do it from the inside[?] Maybe not a completely air tight seal, but enough water prevention to get the vehicle home.

@Shakes Yeah, that would really help, I'm pretty good at MacGyver-ing stuff, heck, I keep a roll of duct tape in all my vehicles :D With some pics we could all probably make better suggestions. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
@islandsahara4xe I guess the other, sort of more involved solution is to contact a closed transport company, see if you can get it home that way, of course, you'll need to rent a car too, so it might get costly pretty quickly.

So bummed to hear about this, it's one of the downsides of a cross country type purchase where you're driving the car home.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For experienced Jeepers, duct tape for leaks, lose electrical, and cracked lighting; baling wire for rattles and spinning parts. Factory should have provided a starter kit for you. Then come the off road issues...

you can get it home that way, of course, you'll need to rent a car too, so it might get costly pretty quickly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts