Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I guess there is a difference between what a vehicle was designed and engineered to do, and what some buyers want it to do, or demand that it be 'fixed' so that it will do what they want.

Spoiled children really.

We bought a 4xe for my wife to drive around town. In the summer we go 4-months without buying a drop of gas. In the winter we let it operate as designed. Never been in FORM, never been in shop, never had a CEL. About 9k miles now. Are we lucky? Maybe. Did we learn as much as we could before deciding the Jeep was right for us? Yes. Does it's performance meet our expectations? No, so far it has exceeded them.

We're all capable of making the best choice. Unfortunately, some don't.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I guess there is a difference between what a vehicle was designed and engineered to do, and what some buyers want it to do, or demand that it be 'fixed' so that it will do what they want.

Spoiled children really.

We bought a 4xe for my wife to drive around town. In the summer, we go 4 months without buying a drop of gas. In the winter we let it operate as designed. Never been in FORM, never been in shop, never had a CEL. About 9k miles now. Are we lucky? Maybe. Did we learn as much as we could before deciding the Jeep was right for us? Yes. Does it's performance meet our expectations? No, so far it has exceeded them.

We're all capable of making the best choice. Unfortunately, some don't.

Well, I don't know about spoiled. I feel incredibly lucky to have this vehicle. I excitedly ordered my 4xe Rubicon 6 months before they ever hit dealers. So happy that Jeep took a chance and built a platform that does so much. However, Jeep has been terrible about answering legitimate ownership questions in regard to advertised vs. actual performance. When I ordered my Jeep, their marketing was touting much higher performance statistics, 30 plus miles of all-electric and 400 miles of combined range. They never mentioned any of the winter weather constraints we have come up against, either.

All this may be fairly common knowledge on this forum now, but when we ran into our issues a year ago, no one knew what was going on, especially the dealership we bought them from.

So like you, @bossboy302, I feel very fortunate to have a vehicle like this and appreciate how amazing it is for eight months of the year where I live. The other four months, when my vehicle slips into FORM and becomes a standard ICE-powered vehicle, I feel less stoked about my purchase.

My main point would be to set up your customers with some realistic expectations. Jeep really failed at this, in my opinion. Most other plug-in hybrids do not change their mode of operation as our jeeps do in the winter. In other plug-in hybrids, you stay within the battery capacity, and you get an electric vehicle. In my particular situation, I bought the 4xe, thinking I could drive it like an electric car/truck 95% of the time and use the gas motor on long adventures. I never saw any fine print or asterisks that said in cold conditions, you may not be able to use your vehicle in all-electric mode.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Most other plug-in hybrids do not change their mode of operation as our jeeps do in the winter
I don't know how much that is true. You hear people say that, and then you get owners of other phevs making posts like this:

41 - 43 of 43 Posts