Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 4XE and am thinking of switching to a 2022 Rubicon 4XE because I can get all my money back including taxes on my current Jeep and have regretted not getting a Rubi from the start.

Can you please share the ride quality/suspension difference between the Sahara and Rubicon? I never got to drive the Rubi but am happy with the ride quality on my Sahara 4XE. Let's be honest here - I mostly just offroad to Costco and Trader Joes but just like the look of the Rubicon better :sneaky:

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh boy. The biggest difference between the two are the tires. The stock duellers are great on road. They provide less noise, track the road better (don’t follow grooves and imperfections), and absorb the harshness better. Next would be the shocks. The rubis shocks are tuned to provide the most flex off-road. The Sahara’s are tuned for best road manners. So I guess to sum up, expect a less planted feel, more body sway, some more harshness and more road noise from a rubicon.

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler 4xe
27 Posts
If your buying it because you want to drive it, on road at highway speeds get Sahara or High alt. If you're buying it because you want it to look tough, but dont care how it drives on road get a rubi, jeep owners have been making htis trade for 75 years. If you've driven your sahara when there are 30+ mph winds thats how the rubi will feel...Having said that, I put some money into making my sahara look better, more offroad capable and handle better. I hated the 20" with 55 sidewall grand cherokee rims traded for 17" with 70 sidewalls, added FoX steering stabilizer... and at 5k cheaper, the sahara left me room to have fun(read - Just Empty Every Pocket), also saved the money on the hard top, one touch etc. and swapped out to MyTop.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is really odd and against the majority of posters but I found the Rubicon had a softer ride. So it could depend on what you consider a good or bad ride. The Rubicon has smaller wheels but larger tires. More rubber means more cushion. As many have pointed out, it has an off road tuned suspension which should give a softer, mushier ride over road imperfections. The salesman told me all of this. That being said I'm new to Jeep, do not own one yet, and the salesman could have been trying to upsell me but like I said, I drove both and found the Rubicon had a softer ride. Of course if you want to take highway entrance and exit ramps at full speed, the larger wheels with less rubber between the wheel and road plus the on road suspension of the Sahara would do better.

·
Registered
315 Posts
This is really odd and against the majority of posters but I found the Rubicon had a softer ride. So it could depend on what you consider a good or bad ride. The Rubicon has smaller wheels but larger tires. More rubber means more cushion. As many have pointed out, it has an off road tuned suspension which should give a softer, mushier ride over road imperfections. The salesman told me all of this. That being said I'm new to Jeep, do not own one yet, and the salesman could have been trying to upsell me but like I said, I drove both and found the Rubicon had a softer ride. Of course if you want to take highway entrance and exit ramps at full speed, the larger wheels with less rubber between the wheel and road plus the on road suspension of the Sahara would do better.
I put some Rubicon takeoffs on my Sahara and I feel like the ride is slightly better and slightly noisier.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I find the ride in the Rubi4xe to be very enjoyable on road and almost better than what I had in the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Yes the KO2 tires have some lug noise on pavement at lower speeds (highway speed covers tire noise). The suspension tune in my opinion on the Rubi is amazingly forgiving. Lastly, I feel all Wrangler 4Xe versions get some ride feel improvements due to a more 50/50 front to back weight balance for corners and bumps....

·
Registered
156 Posts
We have both in the household. Sahara drives nicer. Sahara feels lighter, has a bit more pep, steering a little more direct. Ride quality is negligible I think, they're both tanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I test-drove both. Sahara is definitely more road friendly, in terms of ride quality, handling, cornering, etc... but the Rubicon had a better fun factor... especially with a mentality that i could go anywhere with it... so i ordered the Rubicon.... and am still waiting.... The wait is very unbearable, especially when you are in Canada and can't get any information..

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had a lot of seat time (like 45min) in a Sahara 4xe back in March 2021 when my dealer had one on the lot. It rode I would say "sporty" but when it came time to order I went Rubi. The Rubicon 4xe definitely soaks up the tattered roads better than the Sahara I drove. The bigger tires are certainly a factor; the shocks are usually different as well between the Sahara and Rubi although I didn't look to compare. Resale value 5yrs down the road is definitely very good for Rubicons; Wranglers in general do very well but Rubis are tenaciously sought after in the used market.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts