Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just picked up our new Sting Gray JLUR 4xe, our first real jeep.

I had some questions about carrying our kayaks. It seems like there are generally two systems available for roof racks out there: the "cage style" that attaches to the rear bumper and in front of the windshield and looks sorta like an exo cage, and the rain gutter style which clamps onto the raingutters of a hardtop.

However, all of the cage style racks that I have seen attach in front of the windshield right where the charging port is, so being that we have a 4xe, those are seemingly ruled out.

The other thing is that we have a soft top. So the rain gutter kind of roof rack is also out because there aren't any rain gutters on the hard top. Another concern with the rain gutter kind of rack is the weight. A couple of racks like this that I have seen have a weight limit of less than 100 pounds, which worries me because our sea kayaks weigh about 50 pounds each. Add the weight of the actual kayak rack, and were easily over the weight limit.

Not sure if anyone else came across a similar problem. Any ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are rain gutters… mine has them, my wrangler before had them… they run down the whole length of the truck. I use my Thule rack and Thule box all the time. It fits. I forgot the Thule tower kit number. But the jku tower works on my 4xe

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
70 Posts
I use this combo:

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
70 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a 3rd option. Look at the Rhino Rack Backbone system -- but I don't think that works with the soft top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts