Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Not much experience yet as we’ve been mostly electric so far and feathering the gas mostly but I was surprised to see that the tach for the engine was consistently quite low (~2K) whenever it kicks on in hybrid, looking at the torque and HP curves for the inline 4 this seems like an inefficient operating point for the engine, what are others experiences so far?

Thanks!

·
Registered
264 Posts
What you may be seeing is when the 4XE operates in series mode rather than parallel mode. In parallel mode, the engine and P2 motor are connected and work together. In series mode, the ILE clutch located between the P2 motor and the engine opens up. Propulsion is coming from the P2 motor alone and the engine is turning the P1 motor which provides charge to the battery. It allows the engine to run at a constant RPM even though you can speed up and slow down a little. This happens at lower speeds.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Nice explanation!!!!!!!!
I guess I could better explain series hybrids vs parallel hybrids.

Parallel hybrids are where the gas engine and electric motors both have a physical connection to the drivetrain. Either or both can provide propulsion.

Series hybrids are sort of like an EV with a generator. The electric motor provides propulsion and the gas engine only serves a generator type of function. The BMW i3 and i8 are examples of series hybrids.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I guess I could better explain series hybrids vs parallel hybrids.

Parallel hybrids are where the gas engine and electric motors both have a physical connection to the drivetrain. Either or both can provide propulsion.

Series hybrids are sort of like an EV with a generator. The electric motor provides propulsion and the gas engine only serves a generator type of function. The BMW i3 and i8 are examples of series hybrids.
Thanks, super helpful information. What kind of drivetrain does the Wrangler 4xe have, series or series/parallel?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts