Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to buy a good bike rack for my Rubicon but having trouble finding one that will fit good with the spare mounted. Anybody have any recommendations?

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have the Allen Premier locking with spare. My hand has plenty of clearance between the rack and spare and I can even still see with the camera. The downside is that it's a hanging style. So if you have carbon fiber frames it wouldn't be a good choice. Also, the bikes need to be off to open the tailgate but it does lower enough to clear.

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler 4xe
15 Posts
Sjack is on target. We purchased a Kuat Sherpa 2.0 two bike rack but needed an extension for our hitch (we got an 8 inch extension) because of the spare tire. Look for an extension that has anti-rattle built in or you will need to purchase that separately. The Kuat Sherpa has anti-rattle built in so you won't need anything there if you decide to go that route but the extension will need some kind of anti-rattle. I also picked up a Bolt Receiver Hitch lock as you can use your Jeep key with these locks (BOLT Lock: Types of Locks), I hate carrying a lot of keys.

Happy Trails :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've used the 1up rack system for years now with jeeps. There is an extension available that allows plenty of room for two bikes without tire interference . The system is really durable / secure.

1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE (1up-usa.com)
This is what we have for my partners Cherokee. It fits well on my Wrangler w the spare. We got the extender just in case, but didn't need it.

Also, you can get the 1UP system for 4 bikes. And it's modular so you can do 2, 3 or 4...not always carrying the 4 pack around. And agree w the durability. We've had ours for maybe 4 years-ish. Love it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is what we have for my partners Cherokee. It fits well on my Wrangler w the spare. We got the extender just in case, but didn't need it.

Also, you can get the 1UP system for 4 bikes. And it's modular so you can do 2, 3 or 4...not always carrying the 4 pack around. And agree w the durability. We've had ours for maybe 4 years-ish. Love it.
Agree ! I have the extension for the fat tire bikes now (Should have mentioned) - No need to remove pedals

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have added some photos of a 1up bike rack and my stock 4xe Rubicon. This is what I have: A Kuat Hi-Lo hitch adapter with two pin holes (7" or 10" length). They make a Hi-Lo Pro hitch extender. However, the Pro model only offers a 10" extension. On my stock receiver it is mounted for the adapter in the shortest position, with it extended only 7". Without the rack attached the adapter only extends to the rear of the spare. I leave it on and the risk of smashing my shin or leg is almost never with the door closed. The 1up rack is attached at the closest distance and I will move it out just a bit when I use it. I pushed it all the way in for demonstration purposes. There is room to pull either the hitch extension out further and/or the rack depending on your needs. With the rack attached and no bike mounted, the door will not open without hitting the rack. If I tilt the rack down and away from the jeep I can fully open the rear gate as long as a bike is not on the rack. Ther is approximately 2.5 inches of clearance between the rack and the bottom of the tire when tilted. With a bike mounted on the rack and the rack is tilted down and away I can get 2 feet of space between the jeep and the open gate. With the rack attached, the clearance from the bottom to the ground is 15 3/4 ". The rack will tilt up into its upright position. The rack is the 1up Super Duty Single. I have the add on for an additional bike. Adding the additional bike should not change any measurements.
Bicycle Wheel Tire Land vehicle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Tire Bicycle Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Bicycle Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Bicycle Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tread

Both the hitch extension and rack tighten and there is no rocking motion. Both of these companies provide excellent customer service.

I have seen options to order the side plates in a reverse direction from 1up. It is not on their website. But, I am told it can be ordered if you call them. Personally, I want the height and if I use this on my wife's vehicle I will need it to be higher.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts