Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm trying to decide which to order and here in Europe the Rubicon and Sahara are both around the same price (Rubicon is about 3% more). Which would you choose for 90% plus on road, albeit some of that will be in winter snow (I live in a ski resort)? For everything I need off road my soon to be departing Sahara has coped without problem so I doubt I'll need the full Rubicon off road potential. Would you always go for the Rubicon or if not, why?

Also, separate question...I'm trading my 2019 2 door Sahara and I had a test drive in the 4xe Rubicon and the steering felt much less precise - is that normal for the Rubicon or is it a result of going from 2 door to 4 door?

Dealers here only seem to have the Rubicon as demo cars so I can't do a back to back test.

Thanks all

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
74 Posts
Rubicon will be slower, and less gas efficient due to the extra weight of the stronger axels, lockers, sway bar disconnect, bigger wheels, extra skid plates and underbelly protection.

Both will be very capable in dealing with snow on paved roads.

The bigger wheels and tires on the Rubicon will make it drive differently than the Sahara. The Sahara sits lower and does not need to turn big wheels, it will also track better on the road with the all season tires vs the all terrain tires of the Rubicon.

I bought a Rubicon because it goes off roading at least twice each month. If you are leasing it, and not taking it off road a lot, and not planning on taking it on moderate or difficult trails, stick to the Sahara. If you are purchasing it, and plan to use it as an off road vehicle, and you head down that path of customizing it with more off road equipment, the Rubicon might make more sense, and might be a better starting point to get you on the moderate and harder trails more quickly.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The Sahara will be a little smoother ride but not by much. I test drove a Sahara. But I just like the look of the Rubicon so it was an easy decision for me!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all, I'm trying to decide which to order and here in Europe the Rubicon and Sahara are both around the same price (Rubicon is about 3% more). Which would you choose for 90% plus on road, albeit some of that will be in winter snow (I live in a ski resort)? For everything I need off road my soon to be departing Sahara has coped without problem so I doubt I'll need the full Rubicon off road potential. Would you always go for the Rubicon or if not, why?

Also, separate question...I'm trading my 2019 2 door Sahara and I had a test drive in the 4xe Rubicon and the steering felt much less precise - is that normal for the Rubicon or is it a result of going from 2 door to 4 door?

Dealers here only seem to have the Rubicon as demo cars so I can't do a back to back test.

Thanks all
After much debate we went with the Sahara..we're sticking to simple to moderate trails and no intense rock crawling so the added on-road comfort sealed the deal. Plus, I'm not a fan of the hood and badging on the Rubicons.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Does the Rubicon 4xe have more skid plates? The 4xe has more than typical to protect the electronics.

While I like the hood and more buttons/switches, I'd probably have gotten a Rubicon if I lived around Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, parts of California, etc. where I could use the features.

·
Registered
39 Posts
After much debate we went with the Sahara..we're sticking to simple to moderate trails and no intense rock crawling so the added on-road comfort sealed the deal. Plus, I'm not a fan of the hood and badging on the Rubicons.
It’s funny because that’s why I got the rubicon lol.

I find 20 inch wheels and color matched fender extremely distasteful on sahara; everyone has their preferences though.

And the tires play a big role in steering feel, sahara will just drive better on road in general due to wheel setup

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
74 Posts
Does the Rubicon 4xe have more skid plates? The 4xe has more than typical to protect the electronics.

While I like the hood and more buttons/switches, I'd probably have gotten a Rubicon if I lived around Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, parts of California, etc. where I could use the features.
The front skid plate is made of steel on the Rubicon, and the Sahara is made of plastic, the Sahara’s plastic skid plate is not functional, they rip off going over rocks and when ripped off they become a shovel when driving backwards.

Rubicon also has rock sliders underneath the doors, and skid rails under the parts of the Jeep, that Jeep does not want sharp rocks near. I am not 100% sure on this, but I think there is some additional armor on the gas tank, but I could be wrong on that.

I live in Arizona, and slowly getting my Jeep ready so I can go on some Jeepers Jamboree’s in 2022 or 2023, will see how this pandemic goes. Much of my factory skid plates and sliders will need to be replaced for stronger stuff before taking it on those adventures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I struggled with the same inner debate. Ultimately for such a small price difference, I didn't want have the regret that I didn't have the capability that comes with the Rubicon. Better to have it and not need it than the contrary. Plus there's resell value and ease of sell. And lastly, I couldn't stand the idea of spending all this money to end up with something that looks like a soccer mom mall crawler. I just hate the tires and wheels that come on the Sahara🤢. I just think the value for the money is squarely on the side of the Rubicon🧐.

·
Premium Member
2011 JKU Rubicon 2021 4xe Sahara
14 Posts
This was a tough one for me.. Im struggling with the 20" wheel look even though I put 35's on it. My hard core wheeling days are done though so I went with the sahara. I also loved the look of the hood on the rubi not to crazy about the badging. It is a very different ride than my JK. I love it so far. You said 90% off road? I would go the rubicon route if I were you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This was a tough one for me.. Im struggling with the 20" wheel look even though I put 35's on it. My hard core wheeling days are done though so I went with the sahara. I also loved the look of the hood on the rubi not to crazy about the badging. It is a very different ride than my JK. I love it so far. You said 90% off road? I would go the rubicon route if I were you.
90% on road, not off...

·
Registered
31 Posts
A lot of the issues of wheels, tires, and hood may be moot if the Sahara you are considering is a EU version that looks like this:

Wheel Plant Tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
613 Posts
Why are things always better in the EU!

You probably get real turn signals in the back as well. In the US they share them with the brake lights.

I love the hood. My preference would be for black fenders but it's nice the Sahara gets the Rubicon colored fenders.

I'm looking to see if I can swap my fenders or do a wrap of some kind.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Starting price may be close, but add all the trim features the Saraha has to a rubicon and it's a big difference. All personal preference, no right answer

·
Registered
21 Posts
Starting price may be close, but add all the trim features the Sahara has to a Rubicon and it's a big difference. All personal preference, no right answer
The only thing that is upgraded is the body colored fenders and leather seats. But you lose the blue stitching, which I think most people love. Like you said, its all personal preference. I think the Rubicon has the classic rugged good looks of a trail ready Jeep. The Sahara is more of pavement princess G-wagon look. They should just remove the solid front axle and build an all wheel drive "Wrangler Light" for people who don't want or need the full on rock crawler setup.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only thing that is upgraded is the body colored fenders and leather seats. But you lose the blue stitching, which I think most people love. Like you said, its all personal preference. I think the Rubicon has the classic rugged good looks of a trail ready Jeep. The Sahara is more of pavement princess G-wagon look. They should just remove the solid front axle and build an all wheel drive "Wrangler Light" for people who don't want or need the full on rock crawler setup.
My current ride (waiting on my 4xe) is a JK special edition based on Sahara (the dragon edition). I really liked the looks of the painted fenders and top, but it was black on black. On my 4xe I wanted yellow, but had to settle for red. On the configurator I really like the black fenders providing contrast to the red body.

I've gotta say too, that I think that since they started putting in limited slip differentials with the brake-based anti-slips that they are all 'rubi light'. My only limitation in the Saraha is clearance, which you don't gain much of with rubi.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My current ride (waiting on my 4xe) is a JK special edition based on Sahara (the dragon edition). I really liked the looks of the painted fenders and top, but it was black on black. On my 4xe I wanted yellow, but had to settle for red. On the configurator I really like the black fenders providing contrast to the red body.

I've gotta say too, that I think that since they started putting in limited slip differentials with the brake-based anti-slips that they are all 'rubi light'. My only limitation in the Saraha is clearance, which you don't gain much of with rubi.
That was something I was confused about. If you already have brake based traction control, what are you really gaining by adding the optional "anti-spin" rear axle?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts