Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the Jeep family so I immediately took my 4xe to a moderate trail. Upon doing an inspection of the under-body I noticed rust on both sides of the frame. Is this just a Jeep thing or is this something I should take back to the dealer and have them clean and respray? I took delivery in AZ and have never seen this issue with any of my other cars, so its a bit shocking to me to already see a smear of rust. I understand that this is little to no rust, but still shocking none the less.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
87 Posts
I'm new to the Jeep family so I immediately took my 4xe to a moderate trail. Upon doing an inspection of the under-body I noticed rust on both sides of the frame. Is this just a Jeep thing or is this something I should take back to the dealer and have them clean and respray? I took delivery in AZ and have never seen this issue with any of my other cars, so its a bit shocking to me to already see a smear of rust. I understand that this is little to no rust, but still shocking none the less. View attachment 1740 View attachment 1741
That is unusual for AZ, but it has been really wet here lately. If the dealer won’t do anything, I would wire brush the rust off, and get a rustoleum black underbody paint, and just touch it up myself.

That reminds me, that I need to check my Jeep, I tried taking it to a car wash after driving in the mud last weekend, and while the car wash did an ok job on the body, the underbody was still really caked with mud. I eventually got to washing the underbody myself yesterday, but I should check if I got some rust from leaving mud on the underbody for over a week.

For us in AZ, we need to be diligent on getting the monsoon mud off our Jeep’s after we hit the trails, as that is probably the only thing that can cause rust on our Jeep’s out here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Interesting. Definitely wouldn’t expect that for an AZ vehicle. I agree with hairamess, but it also wouldn’t be a bad idea to at least have it documented with Your dealer though just in case there’s a bigger issue going on.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,213 Posts
I’d take that back and show them immediately! That’s unacceptable for a new vehicle. Hell I’ve had trucks that have gone through a winter on salted roads that didn’t have rust on the frame like that. They should spray it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Personally, I'd rattle-can some Rustoleum on the places paint scraped or rust formed; forget the dealer. After it dries, apply liberal Amsoil HDMP (spray can) everywhere on the frame and suspension. I did this on my 2012 JK every year since new and the only rust I had was from scrapes I overlooked. You can apply it right on rusty spots too to stop rust.

It needs to be applied twice per year but is cheap and works very well. One can of it could do a JLU chassis no problem. It looks like WD-40 when first sprayed on, but then dries to a thin wax-like film and does not plug up drainage areas. After about 24hrs it will be fully dry and smell like Crayola crayons for a couple days after which the smell goes away. No harm to any rubber bits even after 9 seasons on my 2012 JK.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would also take it back. I wonder if they added chains in those areas for transit? I am also in AZ but dont have that issue yet.
Sidenote, do you have the tire fill alert on your Jeep? My dealer said that the others he checked none of them had the option even though it is listed as standard features.

·
Registered
149 Posts
when I was test driving stuff, i saw a brand new 4Xe with a rusted bolt on the back bumper. after a few days of constant rain in GA

Reactions: david365602

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called the dealership, but of course no one answered. I will probably end up fixing the issue myself. I didn't have the best of times at my dealership. (Charged me 600$ for tint, because the tint "was installed by them and not the manufacture" I'm pretty sure deep tint is installed at the manufacture. Too add, there are two paint defects.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I called the dealership, but of course no one answered. I will probably end up fixing the issue myself. I didn't have the best of times at my dealership. (Charged me 600$ for tint, because the tint "was installed by them and not the manufacture" I'm pretty sure deep tint is installed at the manufacture. Too add, there are two paint defects.
That's a bummer. Sorry they did that. I specifically told my dealer that I didnt want the "expensive tint" or any of the other items they add to every car on the lot. I made them specifically add that to when I gave them my deposit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a bummer. Sorry they did that. I specifically told my dealer that I didnt want the "expensive tint" or any of the other items they add to every car on the lot. I made them specifically add that to when I gave them my deposit.
This was my first new car. I learned a lot while trying to buy it. I won't make the same mistakes again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was gonna say that I'm a little iffy on the OP's sincerity (who am I to judge, my 1st new car was NOT a $67K Jeep 4XE, but good for you!). And then there was HWEO's semi-incoherent rant about "rusty, liberals". No judging or name calling here; I could be accused of being liberal on occasion, just not sure where paint fumes come into play.

FYI - 2K miles in and only sporadic missing back up cam lines to complain about!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was gonna say that I'm a little iffy on the OP's sincerity (who am I to judge, my 1st new car was NOT a $67K Jeep 4XE, but good for you!). And then there was HWEO's semi-incoherent rant about "rusty, liberals". No judging or name calling here; I could be accused of being liberal on occasion, just not sure where paint fumes come into play.

FYI - 2K miles in and only sporadic missing back up cam lines to complain about!
For clarification, it's my first NEW car. I've only bought used cars in the past. I've never wanted to buy a new car since all cars of the same model are pretty much the same for several years at a time. This year and car are very differnt since a used 4xe costs the same as a new one for a multitude of reasons. All that said, all my used cars where 1-3 years old and none of them has rust. I'm new to the community and just wanted to know if this was normal or not. Seems like it.

·
Registered
901 Posts
David, I decided to check under mine again and found a very small amount of rust in the same location. That is right under the front passenger seat. That's the only spot I could find under mine. It does not look as bad as yours.

I did not do a good job of washing the undercarriag!

I'm in a humid climate, April 1st build date, 4500 miles, and have been through thick clay mud, and forded some streams.

I'll keep an eye on it but it doesn't look like it would get serious.

We have more opportunity to see what's going on with the undercarriag than most cars.

·
Registered
135 Posts
That is unusual for AZ, but it has been really wet here lately. If the dealer won’t do anything, I would wire brush the rust off, and get a rustoleum black underbody paint, and just touch it up myself.

That reminds me, that I need to check my Jeep, I tried taking it to a car wash after driving in the mud last weekend, and while the car wash did an ok job on the body, the underbody was still really caked with mud. I eventually got to washing the underbody myself yesterday, but I should check if I got some rust from leaving mud on the underbody for over a week.

For us in AZ, we need to be diligent on getting the monsoon mud off our Jeep’s after we hit the trails, as that is probably the only thing that can cause rust on our Jeep’s out here.
If you have a power washer, there's an underbody sprayer you can get specifically for the underbody. Amazon has them, pretty cool if you ask me, or just hook up an oscillating sprinkler to your garden hose and shower er underneath..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.