Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do all of you avoid rust on your jeeps? I installed an electric rust prevention machine that works by passing some current through the metal parts of the car, preventing rust from starting but I also sprayed a slight layer of oil on some bolts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I live in the mid-West where roads are heavily salted and have come up with a routine for the cars we drive on salted roads. Sometime in November I prep the vehicles for road salt. After cleaning the underside and inner fender wells thoroughly with a home car wash wand that dispenses soap, I spray all sheetmetal edges, bolts and connectors with Gibbs penetrating oil. I then follow up with spraying a light coat of “fluid film” which is a Lanolin-based (animal fat) spray over the same parts plus all sheetmetal in the under belly, fender edges and rear of car. Basically anywhere exposed to road salt kicked up by your tires that typically rusts on a car. I have a hot water hose bib in my garage and will do a full wash including underbody hot spray wash on days that are above 40 degrees in Winter first chance I get after a big snow. I typically only hand wash my vehicles because car washes can be hard on the finish, but in winter I buy an automatic car wash booklet with underbody spray option for January and February when it is just too cold to wash and run it through after a big snow (i.e. salt) event. Once it warms up I do another hot water spray to blast off loose bits on the Lanolin which at this point has picked up salt and road grime, but I believe has done its job in preventing salt from penetrating. The spray prep takes about an hour per vehicle and I probably use about $10 of chemicals each time. I started this routine a few years ago and it is working well although I think the real proof will be in year seven or eight. Am I crazy to do this? Probably as it would be so much easier just to either not care or to lease a disposable car every three years, but we are all probably a little “touched” electing to drive a Wrangler in the first place 😉

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been thinking a lot about this lately. I usually just wash before and after winter storms similar to @Hybrid3.0 . Apply FluidFilm and take it to a shop in the fall for more thorough undercoating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts