Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a solution for handgun gun storage in a 4xe? There is zero "under the seat space" where a safe would normally go. One could probably go with one of the safes that wraps around the seat posts, but I hate having something like that just sitting out there even if it is secure(ish). I really don't care for the in-console safes, but if that's what I have to go with that's what I have to go with.

I did search the forum and did not see anything, so if there's already a thread please send me that direction.

And yes, I totally understand that the safest place for a gun is on your person or at home. However there are situations where a gun safe in vehicle is necessary.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have the Aliengear full holster with the tensioner perfect for draw. I love it.

The trigger is completely enclosed and secured within the holster, and it just goes in the center console. When I leave the Jeep it comes out, goes on the paddle on my hip, and off we go.

In my truck I've drilled and installed the plate under the wheel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is what I went with and it's working out well. I switched out the included screws for security bit screws from Home Depot. It can fit a Glock19 in a Kydex holster with room to spare. Took about 20min to install.
This could be defeated by a determined thief with a good dremel.

Motor vehicle Trunk Gadget Automotive design Camera

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about those slim gun safes mounted somewhere in the back?
If there are any points to mount it that I'm missing, I'd love to hear! I'
What state do you live in? Does your state require a secure storage area for handguns?
I am pretty sure Nebraska requires a handgun to be locked in a vehicle if you are not carrying it. The thing is I do have to briefly go into places during the day where I can not carry (legally) so my only option is keeping it in a safe in the Jeep. That said, even if the state didn't require it to be locked up, I probably still would out of responsibility.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the Aliengear full holster with the tensioner perfect for draw. I love it.

The trigger is completely enclosed and secured within the holster, and it just goes in the center console. When I leave the Jeep it comes out, goes on the paddle on my hip, and off we go.

In my truck I've drilled and installed the plate under the wheel.

I already have a holster. I just need a safe to keep it in for a 20-30 min on occasion and I am not comfortable with just locking it in the glove box or console.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is what I went with and it's working out well. I switched out the included screws for security bit screws from Home Depot. It can fit a Glock19 in a Kydex holster with room to spare. Took about 20min to install.
This could be defeated by a determined thief with a good dremel.

View attachment 2982
Even though this is the kind of thing I was trying to avoid, It's not looking like I have many options without spending hundreds, so I am going to give it a shot. Especially with the security screw idea.

Thank you all for the input!

·
Registered
209 Posts
In the case of the Wrangler, there are the same weapon security considerations that law enforcement has for patrol SUVs. I'll refrain from discussing means/methods of law enforcement weapon security online, but, for the Wrangler, a good first step is a security box for the cargo area (i.e. Tuffy, Diabolical, etc) or even something custom. The next thing would be parking in a good, visible, safe spot preferably one where you can see your vehicle so a thief has to weight time frame with risk/reward.

After a security cover or box is in place, store the unloaded gun(s) trigger locked and place into an inconspicuous container/bag in the secured cargo area or maybe another, heavier-duty lockbox secured to the floor. Ideally, if weapons/valuables are left in a vehicle, they and/or their cases are better off hidden/obscured from immediate sight IF your secured vehicle is breached. Basic stuff but we all forget or get complacent sometimes.

I'd also avoid stickers referencing that you're a gun owner or aficionado. Reduce your profile as a potential target and, when securing a weapon/valuable, no matter what security box/cover you have you obviously should store those things in a secretive way when you park (or before parking); thieves are always watching.

(y) to all the responsible firearm owners out there that care about securing their weapons.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you loose access to charge ports in the console with the Hooke Road locked?
There is access to all the ports inside. This acts more like a shroud that drops into the console, only going down a few inches (No bottom so to speak). Once opened you have access to everything inside the console. Lifting the lid can be frustrating if you have no fingernails.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.