Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered my Snazzberry Sahara 4XE on Aug. 14 and took delivery Oct. 14. The CEL popped on around 1,000 when I was driving in Electric mode on the expressway going 70 mph. CEL has been on since then. When it first popped on, I got a message on the dash that electric service mode was temporarily unavailable, and the vehicle would revert to hybrid. I was no longer able to select Electric mode with the button. It operated fine in hybrid mode, switching from gas to electric and back when necessary. When I would park and turn off the 4XE for an extended period of time (like overnight), I would be able to select Electric mode the next time I started the vehicle. However, anytime I would drive in Electric mode at a higher speed, such as on the expressway, or following a heavy acceleration, the car would ding and pop up the message saying Electric mode was temporarily unavailable. With the CEL on, I have been unable to use remote start to preheat my Jeep. This especially sucked last week when we had really cold temps here in the Chicagoland area. I have also noticed that when driving in Electric mode, the transmission would get really loud when winding up in 2nd and shifting into 3rd. It was so loud it sounded like the gas engine had kicked on, but it was still in all Electric mode.

When I hooked my ODB2 reader up to check codes, the only one I got was a stored/permanent code on the A/T labeled P2E46. Can't really find much info on this DTC code. Seems to be related to battery cooling or something. I figured this might be the usual suspect of an air bubble in the battery coolant line that so many are reporting.

I was finally able to get it dropped off at the dealership for service this past Monday night (Dec. 6) for a 2:30 pm appointment on Tuesday. Had 1,600 miles on it. I hadn't heard anything from them as of today (Friday). So, I texted my service advisor. She just texted back that their foreman is the service technician on my vehicle. They have ordered a new battery pack for my 4XE!!!

Holy cow! What has failed so horribly with my brand new 4XE that they just straight-up ordered a brand new battery pack without even saying anything to me about it?

@JeepCares, is there a known issue with this DTC code P2E46? Is it something bad that means a new battery pack?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also have a very loud sound from the transmission when going from 2nd to 3rd in all electric mode but only when accelerating hard. Has been that way since I got it from the dealer, no error code. It doesn’t sound like that was part of the problem though right??

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also have a very loud sound from the transmission when going from 2nd to 3rd in all electric mode but only when accelerating hard. Has been that way since I got it from the dealer, no error code. It doesn’t sound like that was part of the problem though right??
I don't think the loud transmission sound is/was part of the problem. Who knows? But I decided to include it in my post and also in my notes with the service advisor at the dealership, just in case it's related.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@JeepCares Would you be able to provide any assistance with the service on my 4XE? It's been just about two weeks since I dropped it off at the dealership. The only communication I've received from the service department is a very short text that they have ordered a new battery pack and there's no ETA on when it will arrive. This is the second "first model year" PHEV vehicle I have bought from FCA that has had a catastrophic failure of a major component. The other vehicle being our 2017 Chrysler Pacifica PHEV. The transmission on the Pacifica had to be replaced, and it took 3 months for the dealership, @ChryslerCares, the Star Case system, and a couple vice presidents at the top of FCA North America to get it resolved. I sincerely hope I am not going to have the same experience with my Wrangler 4XE.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got a call from Rohan this morning. He's the Star Case manager that's been assigned to my case. It's been 3 weeks since I dropped off my 4xe at the dealership. Rohan said he had just gotten off the phone with the dealership. The service department told him that it's now a transmission issue, and they are currently working on the problem. Still no ETA on when it will be done. Rohan will call the dealership back on Thursday to get an update.

I'm trying to figure out how this went from: 1). Definitely a battery pack issue and they've already ordered a new battery pack; to two weeks later 2). We're working with Chrysler Corp. and waiting for the engineers to give us a part number; to another week later and 3). Now it's a transmission problem that they're working on, but still no ETA.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who knows. It may be part of the original problem now that the dealership is telling Chrysler Corp that they have determined it is a transmission problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts