Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I already ordered my Sahara 4XE but I can鈥檛 seem to wonder 馃挱 if the Rubicon would have better resale value in 3 years?

I wanted the slightly better on road ride so I chose Sahara.

Registered
So I already ordered my Sahara 4XE but I can鈥檛 seem to wonder 馃挱 if the Rubicon would have better resale value in 3 years?

I wanted the slightly better on road ride so I chose Sahara.
My guess, the Rubicon. I wanted the Rubicon 4xe (for looks more than serious off-roading) but the Sahara 4xe was already a financial stretch and I just could not pull the trigger on a Rubicon. But in an attempt to justify the higher price, I did consider the resale value and after a little research concluded that the Rubicon would be easier to sell later and probably hold its value a little better, (although as you know Wranglers are great in general at holding their value).

Personally, I could care less what my vehicle might be worth in three years. All that matters is that I LOVE getting behind the wheel every single day.

I got the Sahara because I felt it drove better for my needs, I like the looks/style much more than the Rubi, and I鈥檓 not going to off-road much.

if it means it鈥檚 worth a little less than the Rubi in a few years, that鈥檚 fine. I鈥檇 rather have that than stuck driving a model I don鈥檛 like everyday.

Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Just look at the prices of the used ones. The older the Wrangler gets, the more the Rubicon gets and the sell ability seems better. But in three years it might be easier to sell a loaded Sahara compared to a less equipped Rubicon.

Registered
If you look at Jeep鈥檚 own residuals for their leases, they believe the Sahara maintains slightly higher resale value. I鈥檓 not sure that鈥檚 true in practice though. The PHEV is a bit of a wild card on resale value, I think the more fascinating question will be 4XE resale vs the rest of the line up. Traditionally plug ins have not had strong resale (Tesla being the exception) but in the past PHEVs have been rather compromised commuter appliances and I鈥檓 not sure any of that history applies to this Jeep, which uses its hybrid tech to objectively be a better Jeep. I tend to think the 4XE models will both remain strong because electrification is increasingly desirable, and because powertrain obsolescence is less of a factor on a vehicle that is highly desirable on its own.

As has been mentioned, the PHEV factor is really an unknown. Especially given that only new buyers are eligible for the $7500 tax credit. There have been several potential changes floated to the tax credit, including one that would give a $2500 credit to those that buy a used PHEV, but I'm not putting a lot of faith in those changes making it through Congress.

My Sahara 4xe is my first Jeep and I honestly haven't looked much into the market of used models, but I would still expect the normal factors like mileage, condition, history (maintenance and accidents) to weigh heavily coupled with what features a model has. As someone said, I would expect a fully-loaded Sahara would still go for more than a low-end Rubicon if they had similar normal factors.

Registered
As has been mentioned, the PHEV factor is really an unknown. Especially given that only new buyers are eligible for the $7500 tax credit. There have been several potential changes floated to the tax credit, including one that would give a $2500 credit to those that buy a used PHEV, but I'm not putting a lot of faith in those changes making it through Congress.

My Sahara 4xe is my first Jeep and I honestly haven't looked much into the market of used models, but I would still expect the normal factors like mileage, condition, history (maintenance and accidents) to weigh heavily coupled with what features a model has. As someone said, I would expect a fully-loaded Sahara would still go for more than a low-end Rubicon if they had similar normal factors.
Those proposed tax credit changes would also lower the credit on new 4XE to $4,000 (because battery is smaller than 40kwh).

It's not clear to me if the "bonus" incentives of being assembled at a union plant with batteries sourcing 50% of components from USA can be added on top, but current reading makes it sound like all vehicles with batteries under 40kwh are capped at $4,000. If true that could give the resale some buoyancy for those who bought with the $7,500 credit.

Those proposed tax credit changes would also lower the credit on new 4XE to $4,000 (because battery is smaller than 40kwh).

It's not clear to me if the "bonus" incentives of being assembled at a union plant with batteries sourcing 50% of components from USA can be added on top, but current reading makes it sound like all vehicles with batteries under 40kwh are capped at $4,000. If true that could give the resale some buoyancy for those who bought with the $7,500 credit.
There's also another proposal that would raise the credit to $12,500, but also change the credit to 1) only apply to vehicles less that $40k MSRP and 2) only apply to buyers whose income is less than $100k.

Registered
There's also another proposal that would raise the credit to $12,500, but also change the credit to 1) only apply to vehicles less that $40k MSRP and 2) only apply to buyers whose income is less than $100k.
Yeah, clearly this continues to develop. The version I'm mentioning is fairly recent (last week) and is also a $12,500 version, but the income cap is higher ($400k) and vehicle cost cap broken out by category:
  • Sedans under $55,000
  • SUVs under $69,000
  • Pickup trucks under $74,000
  • Vans under $54,000
Hard to keep up with which versions are most recent, will just have to let the cards fall where they may.

Yeah, clearly this continues to develop. The version I'm mentioning is fairly recent (last week) and is also a $12,500 version, but the income cap is higher ($400k) and vehicle cost cap broken out by category:
  • Sedans under $55,000
  • SUVs under $69,000
  • Pickup trucks under $74,000
  • Vans under $54,000
Hard to keep up with which versions are most recent, will just have to let the cards fall where they may.
The infrastructure bills the changes would be part of appear to be collapsing in the Senate for numerous issues, so I鈥檓 not expecting anything to get passed at this point!

Registered
For me, one indication of "holding value" is what the residual value is at for a lease. From what I have seen, higher end models like the Sahara's and some of the "special" editions like Willys do very well. Rubicons are in the middle. In real world resale, Im not sure. I have seen them all over and am not sure you can sale one model is has better resale over another. They ALL do really well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.