Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Wrangler Sahara 4xe '22 had been working fine with no issues since I bought in February. All of a sudden the "Service Charging System" light came on when plugging in a level 2 Chargepoint charger at local parking lot (had used before with no problems). Thought maybe that charger wasn't working so plugged in at home using my installed Chargepoint, same result. Tried other level 2 chargers, same. Took to dealership and they just said they called Chrysler and got response I could only use Mopar chargers!!! First of all that makes no sense, why buy a car that you can only charge at home (assuming you buy their charger) and can not charge on the road (unless you happen to go to a Jeep/Chrysler dealer)? I have seen others having same issues with light, but wondering if anyone got same response? I reached out to Dealer Director of Sales and told him I would either have to return car, start a lemon law claim or whatever I need to do if that is their official stand as if that is the case then that should have been disclosed during sales process at which point I would have not even considered buying...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Problem is dealer agrees with me it makes no sense, the direction is coming directly from Chrysler product team...
Your dealer isn’t being honest with you. Take it to another one. There are several posts on this forum with owners seeing the same error message, and they’ve never been told by a dealer or Stellantis (Chrysler hasn’t been the parent company for several years now) that they must use a Mopar EVSE. Typical root-causes have been a faulty wiring harness, a bad charger unit in the vehicle, or an issue with the high-voltage battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your dealer isn’t being honest with you. Take it to another one. There are several posts on this forum with owners seeing the same error message, and they’ve never been told by a dealer or Stellantis (Chrysler hasn’t been the parent company for several years now) that they must use a Mopar EVSE. Typical root-causes have been a faulty wiring harness, a bad charger unit in the vehicle, or an issue with the high-voltage battery.
That is helpful, thanks, major pain but will try another dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I picked up my 4xe end of May, and then I had this same “Service Charging System” issue beginning of June (~800 miles in)…everything was fine until I tripped the Service Charging System when I plugged into a suspect standard level 1 outlet somewhere that the Jeep didnt like….

Took it to local dealer early June..they had no idea really and said they need to order and replace ICDM part… several weeks and part delays go by and more mis-direction from dealer…

End of June, still waiting, cant get any answers…. I went in to talk to service manager I asked over and over again what they actually did and why i am waiting for a part that who knows when will ever come in and what code errors were showing up and if they tried to reset it and charge to see if it works (my assumption is they did nothing).. I had no other issues and my battery was recharging still in hybrid mode, driving ICE just fine for the month of June.

I repeatedly asked for them to try and reset code to charge - he said he would check into and see what service guys did and call me back next day. Calls me back and tells me they did try everything, including trying to clear the code and recharge, and the ICDM was bad and would need to be replaced. Part wouldnt get here until end of July…

Solution??? —> I decided to go to AutoZone and buy an OBD scanner / reader as i didnt believe a word from the service managers mouth, I came home, cleared the code in seconds (never personally done this on any vehicle but its simple), plugged in and been charging happily ever since. Even got my own Level 2 installed in July - GAME CHANGER. No issues. Finally been getting to really enjoy the 4xe - just crossed 2500 miles yesterday.

Oh and that ICDM part that was supposed to come in end of July? Still haven’t heard anything from dealer and when i do im not going to let them gut the Jeep to replace a part for their own experience and income (Unless i have issues down the road).

Its frustrating but take matters into your own hands and hope you can clear the code and move forward!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up my 4xe end of May, and then I had this same “Service Charging System” issue beginning of June (~800 miles in)…everything was fine until I tripped the Service Charging System when I plugged into a suspect standard level 1 outlet somewhere that the Jeep didnt like….

Took it to local dealer early June..they had no idea really and said they need to order and replace ICDM part… several weeks and part delays go by and more mis-direction from dealer…

End of June, still waiting, cant get any answers…. I went in to talk to service manager I asked over and over again what they actually did and why i am waiting for a part that who knows when will ever come in and what code errors were showing up and if they tried to reset it and charge to see if it works (my assumption is they did nothing).. I had no other issues and my battery was recharging still in hybrid mode, driving ICE just fine for the month of June. i also explained that I’ve probably read more about 4xe’s in past 9 months than him or his service guy and these issues are happening to a lot of people for varying reasons and everyone seems to get a different answer, but my case seemed like it was the software glitch…

I repeatedly asked for them to try and reset code to charge - he said he would check into and see what service guys did and call me back next day. Calls me back and tells me they did try everything, including trying to clear the code and recharge, and the ICDM was bad and would need to be replaced. Part wouldnt get here until end of July…

Solution??? —> I decided to go to AutoZone and buy an OBD charger as i didnt believe a word from the service managers mouth, I came home, cleared the code in seconds (never personally done this on any vehicle but its simple), plugged in and been charging happily ever since. Even got my own Level 2 installed in July - GAME CHANGER. No issues. Finally been getting to really enjoy the 4xe - just crossed 2500 miles yesterday.

Oh and that ICDM part that was supposed to come in end of July? Still haven’t heard anything from dealer and when i do im not going to let them gut the Jeep to replace a part for their own experience and income (Unless i have issues down the road).

Its frustrating but take matters into your own hands and hope you can clear the code and move forward!
Sorry for dumb question but what is an OBD charger (and specifically which one did you get) and what did you do with it? I already have a L2 charger at home I had been using for months, and used with my previous EV, just need to figure how to get the Jeep charging again... thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sorry for dumb question but what is an OBD charger (and specifically which one did you get) and what did you do with it? I already have a L2 charger at home I had been using for months, and used with my previous EV, just need to figure how to get the Jeep charging again... thanks
He should’ve said OBD (On-board diagnostics) scanner. It’s a device you can use to clear any warnings and error codes from the vehicle’s computer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
a code reader - there is a plug under your steering wheel - see link —> (tons of brands on Amazon or otherwise)

INNOVA 6030P OBD2 Scanner ABS Code Reader-Check Engine Light-Diagnostic Scan Tool Live Data with Battery & Alternator Test-Code Severity Levels-Full OBDII Modes https://a.co/d/fGryhqe

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yep. Ordered one as well. Took the dealer 10 seconds to clear the code. They where actually very up to date on the issue. Checked for any recalls. Came me a 2 page document saying how this can happen (basically a million reasons; low voltage, to high voltage, defective charger, etc

this is a bit of a design flaw, I get that the system will try and protect its self when it gets a bad plug/input but it should reset when you unplug that “bad”charger.

Anyways, hopefully I can just clear the code quickly in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: after 4 days of back and forth and getting Sales Manager and General Manager involved, got my Jeep back and is working/charging fine (with my Chargepoint charger, not Mopar...). They finally conceded that Mopar charger was "recommended" but not needed. Still not sure what triggered the "Service Charging System" light but once it was reset we seem to be back to normal, think with 4xe being still relatively new, their technicians need more training on EVs in general. Saved myself from having to buy the ABS code reader mentioned earlier but may have to do it if same situation happens again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts