Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Should I charge my 4xe to 80% if I don't use the 4xe every day?

Tesla has an Optimal Charging Limit for an extended period of battery.

I don't see "Optimal Charging Limit" in the 4xe manual.

or
Just charge Full and then if the battery range becomes short, go to the dealer to replace the battery while under the warranty?

Please advise what everyone does.

Any help or insight is appreciated

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think we are all too new at ownership to know that. However, there is nothing built in that would do this.

If you keep it plugged in, it will use the climate systems to keep the battery at optimal temperatures. It will also keep the 12V battery conditioned as long as there is enough charge in the 400V battery.

·
Registered
153 Posts
One of the reasons for the 80% things on Tesla’s is due to how much energy it takes to get from 80% to 100%. The internal resistance goes up inside Li-Ion batteries as they get to that last 15% SOC on a non-linear curve. So you can use just as much energy charging that last 20% as you did in the front 80%. If you are just doing normal daily driving, there’s no point using all that extra energy. A road trip is a different story.

Keep in mind, PHEV batteries are different from EV batteries. Not all Li-Ion batteries are the same. Tesla batteries have been made by Panasonic and now made by Tesla in-house where Samsung makes the batteries for the 4XE. Tesla batteries are round cells much like AA batteries where the 4XE uses a more modular, rectangular battery.

Long story short, if the manufacturer doesn’t recommend it, don’t carry over information from another manufacturer. If they haven’t designed a method in to the software to cut it off at 80%, it’s not a concern.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yeah, it's definitely a system to not to try and overthink. I've had a few German cars and some of the engineering complexity in the 4xe is impressive in comparison. Sure there are many PHEVs, but this was (for a short time) the fastest Wrangler and even gains in some off road abilities.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts