Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In my average daily driving I rarely use the ICE.

Considering we have 90 days to use the gas in our tanks I'm wondering if it would be better to stick to 1/4 or 1/2 tank. That is if we don't use much on a regular basis.

If we don't use gas that could equate to carrying 75 lbs of weight around for 1500+ miles.

Likely not much in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
462 Posts
This is a good question but I kinda like not going to the gas station. The convenience of not filling up is more valuable, to me, than any gains of lighter weight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My thoughts on carrying a full tank of gas v’s not is that the full tank will leave less air space inside the tank for fuel exposure/degradation of fuel to air and less air volume for condensation to form in.

I don’t know if the fuel tank pressurization helps with any of this or what other measures are in place but I’d be interested to find out. I’m watching this one.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe (on order)
25 Posts
Here in a northern State, the winter fuel stinks and we see a sharp reduction in fuel economy. Winter fuel additives and warming periods make a considerable difference in mpg. Would be nice to fill the tank on summer fuel and hope it lasts until spring. Gasoline weighs in at 6.2 lbs. per gallon so a half tank around 52 lbs.
This is a good question but I kinda like not going to the gas station. The convenience of not filling up is more valuable, to me, than any gains of lighter weight.
This is my thinking as well. A full tank with some Sta-Bil additive for the win!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My thought was if we hit the fuel timer and are forced to burn off a half tank or more.

Although, I think 4 gallons added may be the fuel refresh timer's reset trigger. So I don't think we would need to burn off the whole tank anyway.

I play too much Kerbal, so I'm always thinking about fuel weight and ∆v. 😆

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am going to do the same thing. I used just over 1/8 of a tank in the 1st 3 months I had the 4xe and 800 miles (obviously almost all local electric). Then I was forced to "refresh" and burned down to 1/2 tank with no "all electric" for a week or so (which I hated). So for most of the time I plan on keeping under 1/2 tank now until I have to go somewhere further that would require more range.

I hate going to the gas station too but it looks like we are forced to every 3 months or so no matter what.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For those who drive almost exclusively electric, what if you only carried 1/4 tank of gas? I wonder if that would minimize or eliminate the stale fuel burn cycle.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it would minimize it. But I do recall something about 4 gallons being a trigger. So keeping near topped off may work too.

I'm 33 days in from my last fill and have a near full tank.

I'm sure it's a topic other PHEVs owners have talked about.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Every 90 days your 4xe will require you to burn all the gas you hav in the tank. Meaning, if you only have .25 of a tank left and do not refuel it, it will burn that fule and require to to put more it.

In addition, do not over fill your 4xe. Some people fill up, then wait 30 seconds for the gas to settle in the tank then they fill up more. This can be done and you will get a few more gallons of gas in the tank. However, there is a pressure valve in the tank and it will break it with continual over tipping off. Translation, drop the tank and a $500 bill.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just keep in mind, Power outage, Natural Disasters, Wild Fires and no way to Charge in time. oh .. and some spare miles to run out the Huns

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just keep in mind, Power outage, Natural Disasters, Wild Fires and no way to Charge in time. oh .. and some spare miles to run out the Huns
Good point, we get hurricanes and the 4xe does not have great range.

I did get to miss that whole pipeline incident.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
511 Posts
Yes, if you add 4 gal or more that gets rid of the Jeep calling for ICE use only.

·
Registered
11 Posts
CONFIRMED, 4 Gallons worked for me. Had the 4xe 3 months and still had 3/4 of the original tank when it went to ICE only. Burned down to 1/2 tank and added 4 gallons and back to running normal (not ICE only).

·
Registered
8 Posts
My thoughts on carrying a full tank of gas v’s not is that the full tank will leave less air space inside the tank for fuel exposure/degradation of fuel to air and less air volume for condensation to form in.

I don’t know if the fuel tank pressurization helps with any of this or what other measures are in place but I’d be interested to find out. I’m watching this one.
Yep exactly. Pilots will understand this. You don't want to fly around with empty tanks that will build up with moisture/water in the fuel.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep exactly. Pilots will understand this. You don't want to fly around with empty tanks that will build up with moisture/water in the fuel.
On the flip side, they also don't want to fly with too much fuel. But it may be different in the GA sector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On the flip side, they also don't want to fly with too much fuel. But it may be different in the GA sector.
Yeah the context here was with low fuel in tanks = more moisture build up/accumulation = potential for freezing in fuel lines = engine stops... Pretty bad when over the Atlantic or Pacific! So same idea in that keep the tank full to help minimize water accumulation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts