Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

Shut down on Freeway

8K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  JeepRocks!* 
#1 ·
Driving on I-35 in Northern MO. about 75 MPH. I had ACC on. Freeways pretty clear. Batt <1%. Just over 700 miles on the odometer. Jeep shuts down on me. I've had Jeep in my posession for 6 days. Had my son with me who is a mechanic and he was able to look up for this issue and explained what happened and what an issue this is. I had a Jeep dealership 6 miles from where we shutdown so once I was able to get the Jeep restarted (after it shutting down on me once more after 1/2 mile), we were able to get the thing looked at. They did what they could there to ensure I could drive this home. When I got home from the road trip I took it to the dealership and the Jeep is still in the shop.

This is my fifth Jeep so I am familiar with Jeep foibles and frustrations but I am beyond ticked off. Especially after seeing that this issue has been ongoing for so long. Where is the federal government on this? Are any state AG's looking into this? This is downright dangerous.

#3 ·
It is scary how many such cases, just few examples from the search:

LaurenC, 33 Posts

HedoRick1976, 107 Posts

pkm0822, 10 Posts

RubiXe, 9 Posts

zhernandez41, 4 Posts

Blackcat26, 5 Posts

4XEGGA, 6 Posts

pkm0822, 10 Posts

Jeepsrock1972, 2 Posts

DoctorKBG, 338 Posts

#4 ·
Sorry to hear. I know how frustrating it is as I am quoted below. I hope yours gets fixed quickly because it’s so much fun driving when working. I don’t understand why the Jeep brand is coming out and making a statement. There are so many Jeep loyalists out there that love the Jeep brand. you would think they would care about it.

#14 ·
Apologies if this has been mentioned, and this isn't limited to Jeep, but sometimes you'll find a disturbing amount of improperly seated fuses in the box. It may be time consuming to check em all, but if you've got time, it might be worth a shot. On a related note, my soon-to-be-former Tesla Model 3 loves to randomly flat out slam on the brakes in the middle of busy highways.

#15 ·
For those wondering if this has been resolved in newer vehicles - Picked up our 2022 Rubicon 4xe first week of May, right off the truck from the factory. Just has this 'shutdown' issue occur. Little under 4 weeks and 8000 KM on the vehicle - we've had it on some lengthy road trips in the short time we've owned it.

Got the chime and a few messages flashed across the screen, first stating power was reduced, then service charging system, followed by instructions to shift to park and restart the engine. Service electrical/charging system light was on, as well as the 12v battery light. no CEL. Flashing "D". No Adaptive cruise on our model. Was in Hybrid mode. Cruising at highway speeds, not climbing a hill or accelerating. Max re-gen enabled (has been since day 1), No turtle light. I checked my fuses and relays day I brought it home from the dealer - did some reading while we were waiting for delivery and figured I'd try to get ahead of some potential issues.

Finished the drive back to Canada that day, another 4-5 hours without further issue.

More so adding these details for the public record, but if anyone has further insight, happy to hear it. Service appointment set for this coming Friday, will update with anything of note.

#16 ·
Quick follow up to the above - according to the dealership there were no saved codes in the system. Said they gave it a general inspection, covered all main hybrid components and some generic diagnostic testing, but turned up nothing.

Worth noting we have yet to experience the issue again...

#24 ·
Some codes will clear after time. My battery was dying and throwing codes. I was able to see them on jscan but by the time I'd get to the dealer they were gone. Next time it threw the code I drove straight in for a scan. You don't need an appointment for that.

#17 ·
My 4XE has over 17,000 miles. I am now experiencing software/electrical problems. When starting, the Instrument cluster will say Auto Park says it is Engaged, but then parking pall will engage at EVERY STOP, the D will flash and I'll need to shift the vehicle into Park before then engaging a gear and driving to the next stop light, where the 4XE will again jam itself into Park. The screen now says (after two days of this problem) to Service Hybrid Electric System, but the wrench will disappear and the service reminder can't be found on my UConnect or the the Messages screen on the instrument cluster. Just recently the vehicle has started chugging while in Electric Mode. I always use regen. It's all a bit mysterious, and of course my local dealer is so short on technicians they say they might not be able to get to my problem for a MONTH!!! No loaner, just blank stares. The Jeep is undriveable and under warranty. Paid $65K for this machine plus the extended warranty. This ongoing problem is a serious safety issue and I hope Jeep can update us on what causes this problem and either recall or create a service bulletin @JeepCares. Jeep owes is loyal customers answers.

#28 ·
It just happened to us yesterday 11/21/2023! We were in the fast lane on the freeway and then lost all power, was slowing very quickly as it was regen braking, all kinds for display alerts, battery light, D and gear indicator blinking, "Service charging System", then saying something about brake and push start, then some thing about putting in park (how do you put in park when you are going 65mph?)...it was all happening very fast as we were power merging to over to get to safety before we came to a complete stop. VERY Dangerous! It is a 2023, 7k miles, has NO outstanding recalls (dealer told me this, as they are working on it now). So if this was apparently solved in past recalls, it is NO longer the case! We were in hybrid mode, 1/3 of gas, <1% battery, flat freeway, 70 degrees outside, nothing to stress the system. They have sold a ton of these 4XEs, so likely will wait for someone to die before doing a real fix! The recall back in Dec 8 of 2022 as stated above did not solve my Jeep's problems (it was build after this and even at the dealer with recalls/updates in May for 2023). I am researching today to figure out reliability/trust for long trips from here...not very confidence inspiring. Which is a total bummer, as we really love this Jeep (and it is our 3rd Unlimited)!