Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install some side steps - I am tiny. I have the Aries rockrail/steps on my TJ and love it. Thinking about doing the same with the 4xe but it appears that it came with some kind of rock rails already - do I need to remove those? Are there any steps that attach to that or do they need to be replaced? I like the Aries rails/steps because they are trail-friendly. Do you think I could sell those rails that came with it? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,209 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,209 Posts
@Shakes those are nice steps, I had them on my JK. Looked at them again for the 4xe but decided against because they started to rust after a couple NE winters. One of the reasons I chose the Lod Armorlite is because they are aluminum and not steel.
Oh really? That’s good to know. I really like how they look, but rust is a major problem in WI too. Good info.🤙🏻

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wanted frame mount steps. I liked the LoD, but were expensive ($800-1000) and couldn't be sure they'd fit the 4xe or face $300-500 in return shipping/restocking.

Went with the Westin Triple Tube for about $400 after coupon, which could be returned locally. Westin Triple Tube Rock Rail Steps - 42-6025

They fit, although the front u-bolts are somehow short (had to skip lock washers) despite the frame being the exact same part number as all other 2021 Wrangler 4-door models. I wished the steps hugged the vehicle a little more, but are not actually any lower than the frame rails.

You will have a hard time selling your Rubicon rails since many do this. While >$400 new from Jeep, I think I might get $75 for them basically new.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wanted frame mount steps. I liked the LoD, but were expensive ($800-1000) and couldn't be sure they'd fit the 4xe or face $300-500 in return shipping/restocking.

Went with the Westin Triple Tube for about $400 after coupon, which could be returned locally. Westin Triple Tube Rock Rail Steps - 42-6025

They fit, although the front u-bolts are somehow short (had to skip lock washers) despite the frame being the exact same part number as all other 2021 Wrangler 4-door models. I wished the steps hugged the vehicle a little more, but are not actually any lower than the frame rails.

View attachment 1264

You will have a hard time selling your Rubicon rails since many do this. While >$400 new from Jeep, I think I might get $75 for them basically new.
Can you tell me how wide these are on the top?
Thank you

·
Registered
99 Posts
@Shakes those are nice steps, I had them on my JK. Looked at them again for the 4xe but decided against because they started to rust after a couple NE winters. One of the reasons I chose the Lod Armorlite is because they are aluminum and not steel.
Hi do you have any more pics? I’m considering getting the Rubicon but have a need for step rails. Dealer had one on the lot that the customer had aftermarket side steps installed and it didn’t look good, big gap.

·
Registered
2021 Sahara 4xe
218 Posts

View attachment 1264
Did you lose any ground clearance with those?

·
Registered
181 Posts
We went with Tyger off Amazon for the 2020, and used them again on the 4xe. Didn't even touch them with the blue JLUR, but just yesterday scraped em twice. Not a single thing wrong. Pretty impressed. Rocker and step, 3-tube. Bout $320.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just installed these Deegan 38 Side Step Bars: Thanks for posting the pics. Ill be ordering the Deegans for our rig. The fit looks great.

View attachment 3521

Pretty easy install. Needed my 11 year old son to help a few times, but fairly simple overall. Good fit and my short wife and little kids have had an easier time getting in and out. . . not sure if that's a good thing or not.
:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
My HA came with side steps but they are so close to the door they are pretty much useless.

On my Ram they come down low and out and are easy to use. Anyone know if power boards are more usable?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did you lose any ground clearance with those?
They are definitely not as tight up to the body as the factory rails underneath, but don't sit any lower than the frame rails. I did manage to bash them on a trail that probably the rockers would have escaped, but if the rockers did hit, might have bent up into the body.

The LoD ones appear to sit tighter to the body, but $400 vs $1000, so it was an easy choice for me.

Table Shelf Rectangle Plant Automotive exterior
Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just installed these Deegan 38 Side Step Bars:

View attachment 3521

Pretty easy install. Needed my 11 year old son to help a few times, but fairly simple overall. Good fit and my short wife and little kids have had an easier time getting in and out. . . not sure if that's a good thing or not.
:)
That does look nice. I didn’t see a warranty listed at all on the Extreme Terrain website. Did you buy there and did the paper cover any warranty at all? Thx

1 - 20 of 31 Posts