Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My High Altitude came with the MOPAR Side Steps, but to me they just get in the way whenever I get in/out. They are kind of awkward to use as steps, and just get our pants dirty if we rub against them as well. So, I’ve been thinking about selling and replacing with the rock rails that come standard on the Rubicon.

This 4xe is never going to be lifted (more than an inch or two), and the grab handles are all we need to assist getting in/out as well.

Is there anything I might be missing? Do the steps add additional protection from stones/chips on the road (I assume they must). Has anyone made a similar switch…or the opposite?

·
Registered
550 Posts
The steps will help protect the hinges which are prone to rock chips. I replaced my Rubi rock rails with LOD Armorlite steps and love them. If you live near Buffalo, I’ll gladly sell you my rock rails :)

·
Registered
4xe Rubicon, AP1 S2000
66 Posts
I bought the Rubicon rock rails for my Sport and am happy the Rubicon comes with them. I bought them for protection, and also to hide the pinch weld that’s exposed on the Sport. Also agree that the steps get in the way. I would swap if I had a Sahara.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm selling a set of brand new rock rails from a 2021 Willy's if interested and if you're in the Chicago area.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks both. I'm in Dallas, so probably not worth it as shipping will be $$$. I'm probably going to sell the Side Steps on FB and then order from one of the various Mopar suppliers. I think I can get the Rails for ~$280 (before shipping), so just need to move the steps first. As the best I've seen them online are $231/side, I can probably come out even. Just have to make sure it's what I want to do. Still trying to decide whether I want to risk the additional wear/tear that the side of the vehicle will get without the steps to somewhat protect it.

·
Registered
4xe Rubicon, AP1 S2000
66 Posts
Check FB market and C-list before buying new; I bought new takeoffs for something like $100-150 form a guy who was happy to sell them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
UPS estimates shipping from Denver to Dallas in the box from my steps around $110. If you find that $75 for the rails plus shipping is less, I’d be happy to send them to you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Rock rails are good protection if you are hanging your rockers on boulders. If you don’t do any serious rock crawling, I wouldn’t get them unless you like the look. The plastic factory guards let you reach step up to reach on the roof for cleaning or loading a rack, but also protect the side from the rocks that get thrown by the tires. If you replaced the plastic rockers with good aftermarket mud flaps, that might offer some side protection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts