Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've yet to see the numbers be broken down on this though.

And obviously I'm not the most electrically smart person in the room, but Jeep put solar charging stations up at Moab and Rubicon Trail, so what WOULD be needed to utilize a level 2 charger?

We're talking apples to apples where a 50A RV generator vs 220V outlet. So how does that translate to solar? 12K generator so 12K in solar panels?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I've yet to see the numbers be broken down on this though.

And obviously I'm not the most electrically smart person in the room, but Jeep put solar charging stations up at Moab and Rubicon Trail, so what WOULD be needed to utilize a level 2 charger?

We're talking apples to apples where a 50A RV generator vs 220V outlet. So how does that translate to solar? 12K generator so 12K in solar panels?
The 4xe will take up to 6.6kW for charging. Solar panels generate roughly in the neighborhood of 10 watts per square foot in ideal conditions, so you're realistically looking at needing 700ish square feet of solar panels to utilize a level 2 charger at 32 amps. Now, battery storage can help store power when not actively charging to reduce that, but point us, you're talking about needing a lot of area.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The 4xe will take up to 6.6kW for charging. Solar panels generate roughly in the neighborhood of 10 watts per square foot in ideal conditions, so you're realistically looking at needing 700ish square feet of solar panels to utilize a level 2 charger at 32 amps. Now, battery storage can help store power when not actively charging to reduce that, but point us, you're talking about needing a lot of area.
Okay so that's part of the equation I was thinking of. Say you have a cabin in the woods, and an array of solar on the roof... call it 10 100W panels. How many batteries would you need for 1 level 2 charge to 100% from dead?

Can't we get a generalized baseline going here? :D

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
3 Posts
How about a level 1 charge of solar equivalent to16.6amps? This would be fine for most commuters as it would give you enough charge to get back home while at work. Any idea what and how many solar panels would be needed to achieve 2000w 16amps of draw? Was thinking it could charge an additional gel battery routed to a power inverter for a level 1 charge. Mount the solar panels underneath the roof rack with customized brackets. Any thoughts?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts