Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I have owned a WL SR 4xe for about 5 days now and here are some of my initial thoughts in no particular order:

1. The regenerative braking really is a must to have turned on all the time. I find it is very easy to one pedal drive….till about 2-3 mph and it really does prolong the range. I have found, in my 10 mile commute to work, I only burn about 20% of the battery. It should be closer to 50%.
  2. My god the speakers are good. I have a decently sophisticated and costly home audio system all outfitted for Atmos and the Jeep’s system is much better for music. I always complained ( in my head ) that I never liked the speakers in the WK2 trail hawk I had cause everything always sounded like it was in front of me. It was never balanced even if I messed with the “surround sound” setting. I honestly spent a couple hours in the passenger seat last night writing reports just so I can listen to music. Of which I can do cause I can leave it plugged in without having to run an engine. :)
  3. Speaking of, we are at 277 miles on the car ( I took it at 23 ) and we have only burned an 1/8th of a tank. The Hemi Trailhawk I had would have been over half empty by now.
  4. The wireless charger is finicky. I catch it blinking red kind of often. Like it will start charging my phone…but stops after 10-20 minutes. I can’t tell why yet. Maybe it is cause it slides around a little? The phone is not getting hot.
  5. I had problems with the TPMS system the first couple nights. In the morning it would report that I need to service the TPMS system and the light would blink. It would fix itself real quick after I start driving down my street. I kind of guessed it was getting interference over night in my garage and I moved the ladder that was near the Jeep out of the garage…that seemed to have fixed it. This never happened to any other car that has been in my garage with the ladder.
  6. The piano black trim really can scratch. IDK if it was me, but the lid over all the ports already has a 6-7 inch light scratch across it. You can see it in the light. I tried polishing it out with not too much luck. I want to bring it up to the dealer…but I already got quotes to put XPEL over it and the front bumper/hood. Maybe that will cover it?
  7. The Jeep was delivered without the rear cargo area mat. They had to special order it…which is taking awhile. Getting the cargo cover took some effort too; They ordered the wrong one.
  8. There is some slight tweaks I can see they can do to the Jeep over the next few years/decade. The fitment of the trim needs adjusted. I see some places where there is a .5 cm offset on the stitching between trim pieces.
  9. I wish the mood lighting was customizable more. I mean, they are multi colored LED’s, so idk why just the five presets.
  10. The speed camera and red light camera notifications are a super nice touch
  11. The air suspension is so quick now. I was used to, from my trial hawk, it taking ages to get down to entry/exit mode.
  12. It really is as fast as the Hemi engine. Even when the thing is at <1% battery, I can very easily dart around 95 around DC.
  13. The weather app in the dash is a bit of a downgrade from what was in Uconnect 4. I liked to be able to pan and zoom around the map.
  14. Wireless CarPlay is so nice and very stable for me
  15. I got to get a 240v charger. Charging with the included 120v charger takes like 13 hours.
  16. Low heat with the “Rock Climb” massage is soooooooo nice.
  17. This Jeep is classy AF. I can’t imagine wanting anything else on the market

I got to figure out two things still, maybe folks have advice?

1. Is there any clean way to mount a front license plate? I really don’t want to drill into the bumper. I keep thinking about running without it…..some people do, but the state does require it.
  2. Has anyone figured out the wiring for a front dash cam? The places to tap into for Battery, Ignition power and ground? In the trial hawk I just went to right behind the center console’s cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
165 Posts
  1. The piano black trim really can scratch. IDK if it was me, but the lid over all the ports already has a 6-7 inch light scratch across it. You can see it in the light. I tried polishing it out with not too much luck. I want to bring it up to the dealer…but I already got quotes to put XPEL over it and the front bumper/hood. Maybe that will cover it?
I would definitely get the piano black trim covered with XPEL. Personally, I'm going with the matte Stealth so that it isn't shiny.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thanks for the write up! With the wireless charger, they are all finicky and slow compared to wired. Especially when using wireless car play and Android auto. Carplay is less of a drain but still a wireless charger killer.

1) I have seen a bunch of different takes on no drill front license plate mounts. Haven't looked into if there are any for the GC but there has to be, right?
2) I haven't looked into the wiring yet but there are dashcams out there you can run from the OBD port. That comes with other potential headaches if low power mode doesn't work, etc but it also isn't a permanent mod.

·
Registered
2022 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve 4xe
254 Posts
So, I have owned a WL SR 4xe for about 5 days now and here are some of my initial thoughts in no particular order:

1. The regenerative braking really is a must to have turned on all the time. I find it is very easy to one pedal drive….till about 2-3 mph and it really does prolong the range. I have found, in my 10 mile commute to work, I only burn about 20% of the battery. It should be closer to 50%.
  2. My god the speakers are good. I have a decently sophisticated and costly home audio system all outfitted for Atmos and the Jeep’s system is much better for music. I always complained ( in my head ) that I never liked the speakers in the WK2 trail hawk I had cause everything always sounded like it was in front of me. It was never balanced even if I messed with the “surround sound” setting. I honestly spent a couple hours in the passenger seat last night writing reports just so I can listen to music. Of which I can do cause I can leave it plugged in without having to run an engine. :)
  3. Speaking of, we are at 277 miles on the car ( I took it at 23 ) and we have only burned an 1/8th of a tank. The Hemi Trailhawk I had would have been over half empty by now.
  4. The wireless charger is finicky. I catch it blinking red kind of often. Like it will start charging my phone…but stops after 10-20 minutes. I can’t tell why yet. Maybe it is cause it slides around a little? The phone is not getting hot.
  5. I had problems with the TPMS system the first couple nights. In the morning it would report that I need to service the TPMS system and the light would blink. It would fix itself real quick after I start driving down my street. I kind of guessed it was getting interference over night in my garage and I moved the ladder that was near the Jeep out of the garage…that seemed to have fixed it. This never happened to any other car that has been in my garage with the ladder.
  6. The piano black trim really can scratch. IDK if it was me, but the lid over all the ports already has a 6-7 inch light scratch across it. You can see it in the light. I tried polishing it out with not too much luck. I want to bring it up to the dealer…but I already got quotes to put XPEL over it and the front bumper/hood. Maybe that will cover it?
  7. The Jeep was delivered without the rear cargo area mat. They had to special order it…which is taking awhile. Getting the cargo cover took some effort too; They ordered the wrong one.
  8. There is some slight tweaks I can see they can do to the Jeep over the next few years/decade. The fitment of the trim needs adjusted. I see some places where there is a .5 cm offset on the stitching between trim pieces.
  9. I wish the mood lighting was customizable more. I mean, they are multi colored LED’s, so idk why just the five presets.
  10. The speed camera and red light camera notifications are a super nice touch
  11. The air suspension is so quick now. I was used to, from my trial hawk, it taking ages to get down to entry/exit mode.
  12. It really is as fast as the Hemi engine. Even when the thing is at <1% battery, I can very easily dart around 95 around DC.
  13. The weather app in the dash is a bit of a downgrade from what was in Uconnect 4. I liked to be able to pan and zoom around the map.
  14. Wireless CarPlay is so nice and very stable for me
  15. I got to get a 240v charger. Charging with the included 120v charger takes like 13 hours.
  16. Low heat with the “Rock Climb” massage is soooooooo nice.
  17. This Jeep is classy AF. I can imagining wanting anything else on the market

I got to figure out two things still, maybe folks have advice?

1. Is there any clean way to mount a front license plate? I really don’t want to drill into the bumper. I keep thinking about running without it…..some people do, but the state does require it.
  2. Has anyone figured out the wiring for a front dash cam? The places to tap into for Battery, Ignition power and ground? In the trial hawk I just went to right behind the center console’s cigarette lighter.
This is the kind of report I've been waiting to read here in the forum. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I wired my Nexbase 622 in my ICE trailhawk. Super easy. Can finger tuck the wires along the roof and down the trim to the fuse box under the steering wheel. Works and looks great. Took me about 30min to do the whole thing.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Regenerative braking is always on. Max regen does not turn regen braking on, it just engages it when you lift off the accelerator instead of when you press the brake pedal.
Well precisely, but the "human factor" is important. There is a finite amount of maximum kinetic energy available at any given time that can be recovered and if you delay "harvesting" because you are used to coasting to a stop, you are just not recovering as much. On an ICE car, staying in gear, shifting to a lower gear, while lifting the accelerator was the trick for inducing a high 20:1 or more air to fuel ratio, and ultimately save bits of fuel. With these cars, you just have to drive differently and learn new stopping distances knowing you are really not pressing the brakes until the last few car lengths prior to a full stop.

·
Registered
376 Posts

1. The speed camera and red light camera notifications are a super nice touch
  2. Is there any clean way to mount a front license plate? I really don’t want to drill into the bumper. I keep thinking about running without it…..some people do, but the state does require it.
  3. Has anyone figured out the wiring for a front dash cam? The places to tap into for Battery, Ignition power and ground? In the trial hawk I just went to right behind the center console’s cigarette lighter.
So I heard and then there's the 150-200 dollar cost of updating the maps to stay current with red light and speed cameras. And that is why you run Waze and Uniden R7.

It pains me to drill anything in any bumper. I would rather attach it to a front tow hook.

I will be transferring the Uniden R7 to the Trailasshawk so I am curious about it. As for a front camera, I wonder if at some point, someone brave enough will take apart the radio, figure out which RCA cable feeds from the front camera, and install an inline recorder with a pass-thru. On my WK2, that's what I researched a while back (I have an aftermarket front camera feeding into the 2021-spec 8.4 radio)

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
There is a finite amount of maximum kinetic energy available at any given time that can be recovered and if you delay "harvesting" because you are used to coasting to a stop, you are just not recovering as much
The real issue is people that normally wait too long to start slowing down, so when they do engage the brakes, they are having to decelerate at more than the .25g threshold that engages the mechanical brakes. At that point, you're turning your kinetic energy into heat instead of recapturing it.

If using max regen forces you to slow earlier, great. It will help your efficiency in stop and go driving. You can achieve the exact same thing by just learning to start slowing earlier though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right, I meant having the "max" regenerative braking option on. With it on, the Jeep does slow down pretty quick. It more or less matches how I would slow down coming to a light anyways.
With out it on, the Jeep does coast for awhile.

I do got to figure out all the subscriptions. I tried logging into the Jeep Connect website to find pricing, but it was not obvious.

Also fixed a couple typos in my original post.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Someone else asked, in the giant thread we have: But I did get Affiliate pricing. It is normally a benefit by your employer.
I guess Members - Tread Lightly will give it to you as well.

For the record, the MSRP/price they pushed was the $80,375 on the window sticker. They said this was the price that was "locked in" even though I had pictures of a POC with 79k. They were going to offer the 79k after I pushed it hard....but then I started asking if there was anything else ( cause the MF was ~1% higher then advertised, they were taking some profit there ) and I off handily said I can get an affiliate number but I was told it was not eligible. It is not listed on the website. But, he went back, increased the trade slightly and offered 77,637$, which is the "PP" pricing for a SR with the Pro Tech and Lux package.

I think the deal went well; Especially knowing the state of the market now were people are paying 120% of MSRP for EV's.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Another random question/thought:
Does anyone with a 4xe able to bring up a tachometer or analog gauges in the instrument cluster?
I ask cause, though the 4xe supplement manual shows pictures of the hockey stick style tachometer, I can't find anyway to bring it up.
I can't see anyway to toggle to the analog speed readout either. The manual says to hold down the ok button...but that does not work.
I am guessing the 4xe removes some of this information.....though the manual still describes its existence.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Does anyone with a 4xe able to bring up a tachometer or analog gauges in the instrument cluster?
I ask cause, though the 4xe supplement manual shows pictures of the hockey stick style tachometer, I can't find anyway to bring it up.
I can't see anyway to toggle from to the analog speed readout either. The manual says to hold down the ok button...but that does not work.
I am guessing the 4xe removes some of this information.....though the manual still describes its existence.
Yeah, i am pulling up some random youtube videos of the 4xe and I see different things in their instrument cluster. Like I don't have the tac or charge/power hockey stick thing along the bottom.

Like Doug Demuro's at 7:53...mine does not look like that. I am missing the tac.

·
Registered
712 Posts
As for #12
I had a 5.7 WK2. I have 2 4xes wranglers. They are both way faster than my 5.7 WK2 was.
My rubicon is 0.6s quicker in the 1/4 vs the WK2
My Sahara is 1.2s quicker in the 1/4.
I'd assume the WL 4xes to be as quick and a Sahara 4xes

·
Registered
376 Posts
I can't see anyway to toggle from to the analog speed readout either. The manual says to hold down the ok button...but that does not work.
People have found that changing gears manually brings up the tachometer.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yeah, i am pulling up some random youtube videos of the 4xe and I see different things in their instrument cluster. Like I don't have the tac or charge/power hockey stick thing along the bottom.

Like Doug Demuro's at 7:53...mine does not look like that. I am missing the tac.
Software change. The paddles need to be active.

·
Registered
911 Posts
As for #12
I had a 5.7 WK2. I have 2 4xes wranglers. They are both way faster than my 5.7 WK2 was.
My rubicon is 0.6s quicker in the 1/4 vs the WK2
My Sahara is 1.2s quicker in the 1/4.
I'd assume the WL 4xes to be as quick and a Sahara 4xes
Why would the Sahara be faster than the Rubicon? Is it something to do about the gearing or weight?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Gearing, tires, torque management
So the Sahara has the advantage over the Rubicon due to this? I test drove a Sahara a few months ago and it hauled ass... it was my first PHEV experience and am really hoping the Trailhawk 4xe feels the same. Definitely felt faster than my Trailhawk V8, just wasn't sure if it would carry over into the JGC 4xe Trailhawk.

Reactions: Bzinsky
1 - 20 of 180 Posts