Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, My 4XE is about to be delivered and I'm just curious what to really expect vs. a normal Wrangler. Is there anything really that different with the driving experience? Is the powertrain overall smooth or jerky when driving normally?

Some background, I traded in a 2020 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport Altitude that I loved but it was a lease (like the 4XE I ordered) and I was able to get a little bit back due to the high trade in value. It was a normal V6 with the 8 Speed Auto. No issues with it, had good pickup and decent, but not loaded, on equipment.

Due to the tax credit, the lease deal it saved us some money ($80/month vs our 2020) on a well equipped 4XE that gave us some options I wanted, like LED headlights/softer door tops, navigation and auto-4WD mode (which is really a must).

The risk is that I traded in a well sorted Wrangler for one that people post about issues all the time. All things being even, I'd probably have ordered a normal Wrangler Sahara over the 4XE just because it's less of a risk. I can't be the only one that did the 4XE because of the savings (right?).

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sometimes using max regen it can be a little jerky but once you develop the skill to use it properly it isn’t too bad. Acceleration and changing gears is very smooth and quick. Even switching from electric to gas is smooth, it has happened to me a few times without me even realizing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I traded in my 2012 Wrangler sport and I’m loving the 4xe. It’s much smoother but maybe your 2020 was smoother than my 2012. Agree with above that the max Regen can be a little jerky especially at first, but the overall ride is great and you get more acceleration and fewer trips to the gas station.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I second the max regen. Took about a week to fine tune my size 13 double wide. Swapping between modes is quiet to me. It does make a few weird sounds that are completely normal. The AC compressor in particular is loud in hot weather at first. It is a true joy to drive and I love it!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Long story short, My 4XE is about to be delivered and I'm just curious what to really expect vs. a normal Wrangler. Is there anything really that different with the driving experience? Is the powertrain overall smooth or jerky when driving normally?

Some background, I traded in a 2020 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport Altitude that I loved but it was a lease (like the 4XE I ordered) and I was able to get a little bit back due to the high trade in value. It was a normal V6 with the 8 Speed Auto. No issues with it, had good pickup and decent, but not loaded, on equipment.

Due to the tax credit, the lease deal it saved us some money ($80/month vs our 2020) on a well equipped 4XE that gave us some options I wanted, like LED headlights/softer door tops, navigation and auto-4WD mode (which is really a must).

The risk is that I traded in a well sorted Wrangler for one that people post about issues all the time. All things being even, I'd probably have ordered a normal Wrangler Sahara over the 4XE just because it's less of a risk. I can't be the only one that did the 4XE because of the savings (right?).

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
It drives so effortlessly. Put your foot down and there’s no sense the vehicle is breaking a sweat to push you forward. It’s very serene. It’s no Tesla when it comes to acceleration, but it’s easily the nicest driving Jeep I’ve ever driven and I lot of that comes down to how smooth / quiet / available the power is.

Coming from other EVs, I’ve come to prefer Max Regen as a way of driving and don’t find it jerky, but this is my 4th electrified vehicle so I sort of forget what it’s like to experience it for the first time. There’s satisfaction in judging your stopping distances just right without using brakes and while it doesn’t have true one-pedal-drive you certainly use that brake pedal a lot less.

My only nitpicks are that you can feel the weight of the thing under braking, and you get a weird occasional lurch out of the transmission in EV mode. Also the Max Regen button forgets it’s state each time the vehicle is turned off, which drives me nuts. Hopefully they allow it to stay on in a future software update. Overall though, best Jeep available imo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It drives so effortlessly. Put your foot down and there’s no sense the vehicle is breaking a sweat to push you forward. It’s very serene. It’s no Tesla when it comes to acceleration, but it’s easily the nicest driving Jeep I’ve ever driven and I lot of that comes down to how smooth / quiet / available the power is.

Coming from other EVs, I’ve come to prefer Max Regen as a way of driving and don’t find it jerky, but this is my 4th electrified vehicle so I sort of forget what it’s like to experience it for the first time. There’s satisfaction in judging your stopping distances just right without using brakes and while it doesn’t have true one-pedal-drive you certainly use that brake pedal a lot less.

My only nitpicks are that you can feel the weight of the thing under braking, and you get a weird occasional lurch out of the transmission in EV mode. Also the Max Regen button forgets it’s state each time the vehicle is turned off, which drives me nuts. Hopefully they allow it to stay on in a future software update. Overall though, best Jeep available imo.
Im not sure why or why not, but my Max regen has stayed on since I turned it on leaving the dealer’s lot. Maybe it was a software update.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I feel like my 4xE was a little coarse when I first bought it, but has since smoothed way out - braking and engine starts are just perfect now. Modern cars do all sorts of learning algorithms so that didn't surprise me at all. When I say "coarse", I mean just a little sense of the transmission shifting/clutching during an engine start, or the brake pedal feel being a little weird during a stop - nothing major, just things you notice when you are used to pure EV smoothness.

Off the road, 4lo feels... different, since my last Wrangler was stick, but I got used to it. Going through streams and things with no vehicle noise is really addictive, I think that's the best part of owning one of these!

I have had 0 issues so far, knock on wood, and the smoothness is amazing considering what is going on under the hood.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My new Sahara 4Xe is arriving within days now (just got the call!). I'm hearing we should install a L2 charger at my house so the battery charges faster (2.5 hours v. 14 hours with an L1). Have any of you done that? Also, besides the reseating fuses and relays, are there any other requests I should make to the dealer before accepting delivery?

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can, I just plug mine in to the 120V with the included charger for now. I had an electrician install a NEMA 14-50 receptacle in my garage so I can use any charger/EV. Besides charging faster, L2 charging is also more efficient than L1.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts