Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone,

I just got my 4xe back from the shop after a PIM replacement. All seems to be running well except a sound of running water coming from the battery area. I’ve never heard anything like this before so curious if anyone knows what this could be?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Good morning everyone,

I just got my 4xe back from the shop after a PIM replacement. All seems to be running well except a sound of running water coming from the battery area. I’ve never heard anything like this before so curious if anyone knows what this could be?
Hey, Mroskosh3. If you don't find the answer you're looking for from your fellow forum members, feel free to send us a private message, we'd be happy to assist.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info! Extremely helpful.

Took it in before I saw this post and they said there was air in the coolant system which may have worked its way out since the sound was gone. So they topped off the coolant and sent me on my way. However, the sound came back after battery temp increased. Called the dealership immediately, and they want me to bring it in Monday. Unfortunately, this leaves me without a vehicle over the weekend since I don't think its safe to drive until the coolant system is bled correctly as it can cause the battery to overheat. Am I correct in that thinking?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for the info! Extremely helpful.

Took it in before I saw this post and they said there was air in the coolant system which may have worked its way out since the sound was gone. So they topped off the coolant and sent me on my way. However, the sound came back after battery temp increased. Called the dealership immediately, and they want me to bring it in Monday. Unfortunately, this leaves me without a vehicle over the weekend since I don't think its safe to drive until the coolant system is bled correctly as it can cause the battery to overheat. Am I correct in that thinking?
Pretty sure it will be ok however you may get a check engine light on like I did for low battery coolant level.
Print my pic and give it to them. They need to purge the system 5-6 times

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello,
I'm happy (maybe not) to know that I'm not the only one having boiling water noise in my batteries.

Had a major issue with the charging port one month ago, electric fire was coming out of the charging plug.The dealer replaced the batteries, the plug and wires.Just got my Jeep back last week after 1 month at the dealer.

After having a chat with an electrical engineer, it looks like there is a anormal delay in the signal received by the charger of the Jeep once you squeeze the charging handle to remove it. An electric arc may occur if you remove the charging gun too quickly. Work around is to squeeze the handle 3 seconds and let the Jeep charger acknowledge the disconnect. It's annoying but at least, no risk of electrical damages.

I'll call my dealer Monday.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It just sounds like water sloshing around under your back seat when the car rocks back and forth or braking. Lift up the seat and has someone ride in the back while you drive.
If you hear it coming from the battery back thats what it is. See above. Battery coolant needs to be purged due to prev repair, there is air in the line

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update. Dropped my 4xe off a day after I posted this and it is still at the dealer. The dealership would not perform any work on the battery area until the recall for the connection seals was done to prevent any injury to their tech since their was a running liquid noise. Took a couple weeks to get the seals shipped in. Once the seals were replaced they opened the battery shell and found that there was a leak in the battery coolant hose. Thus another part they need to replace and is on back order. As of today my 4xe has been at the shop for 58 days.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Update. Dropped my 4xe off a day after I posted this and it is still at the dealer. The dealership would not perform any work on the battery area until the recall for the connection seals was done to prevent any injury to their tech since their was a running liquid noise. Took a couple weeks to get the seals shipped in. Once the seals were replaced they opened the battery shell and found that there was a leak in the battery coolant hose. Thus another part they need to replace and is on back order. As of today my 4xe has been at the shop for 58 days.
Sounds like you need to request a Lemon Law Buy back. If you need assistance let me know. I have a contact for you who can help you out if thats the route you want to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

There is one mechanic at my dealer who's being trained especially for the 4xe. He told me that there are two ways to bleed the air from the cooling system. Manually, with a under-5-psi-very-delicate-procedure-or-you-screw-everything-up, and the automatic one, done by activating the bleeding sequence through the board that needs to be replaced with the recall.

Fyi.

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
21 Posts
Hi,

There is one mechanic at my dealer who's being trained especially for the 4xe. He told me that there are two ways to bleed the air from the cooling system. Manually, with a under-5-psi-very-delicate-procedure-or-you-screw-everything-up, and the automatic one, done by activating the bleeding sequence through the board that needs to be replaced with the recall.

Fyi.
Hi all - thank you to everyone for all the posts. I've put ~290 miles on my Jeep and recently heard the sound of running water under the back seat after highway driving on electric only. Coolant levels under the hood look fine. No CEL but most of my miles have been low speed local driving. I'm assuming it's just that air in the cooling system needs to be bled.

I'm nervous to drive the car a long distance given all the stories until the dealer takes a look. But given there is no CEL I'm also nervous the dealer will just give me back the car (my local dealer is pretty terrible).

Do you know if there is a DIY way for the consumer to trigger the bleeding sequence? (sounds like the under-5-psi-very-delicate-procedure would not be consumer friendly)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi all - thank you to everyone for all the posts. I've put ~290 miles on my Jeep and recently heard the sound of running water under the back seat after highway driving on electric only. Coolant levels under the hood look fine. No CEL but most of my miles have been low speed local driving. I'm assuming it's just that air in the cooling system needs to be bled.

I'm nervous to drive the car a long distance given all the stories until the dealer takes a look. But given there is no CEL I'm also nervous the dealer will just give me back the car (my local dealer is pretty terrible).

Do you know if there is a DIY way for the consumer to trigger the bleeding sequence? (sounds like the under-5-psi-very-delicate-procedure would not be consumer friendly)
The battery coolant and car coolant are different systems.
Take it back to the dealer and tell them to bleed the battery coolant several times.

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
21 Posts
The battery coolant and car coolant are different systems.
Take it back to the dealer and tell them to bleed the battery coolant several times.
Took it to the dealer... and as expected they claim they can't replicate the issue so did nothing. I've asked again if they can at least bleed the lines. Only other alternative is to wait until a CEL light comes on.

But maybe they are right and the running water sound is not going to cause severe issues. Who knows...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello,
My dealer did confirm that the noise of running water isn't that bad. I've managed to replicate the issue by driving in electric mode only on the highway for about 8-10 minutes, while the percentage of the battery is under 20%. The running water noise was very loud.
Might help.
Yann

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.