Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler 4XE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd add the details of our 4xE build here as a reference to others that are wanting to take the leap. This thing had less than 300 miles on it when we started making changes. And I can't rave enough about how much we like this rig.

A little history on our use of Jeep-like vehicles: We've been involved with a 4 wheel drive club for about 6 years locally. This club hangs it hat on working with the USFS to preserve and protect public access in the local forest. I've owned a 1979 Bronco for many years prior to this and the club membership prompted quite a few upgrades. And by quite a few, I mean about $18k worth of Bronco upgrades, including a very angry 472, lift kit, winch, bumpers, lockers, 5.13 gears, 37x12.50x17 Patagonia's, Dirty Life beadlock wheels, kicker stereo, etc. We've wheeled this thing for a while and it's a regular at the club events.

April of this year, we went to Moab with the club, and the Bronco came with. A significant power steering issue sidelined us so both the wife and I ended up riding in everyone else's jeeps. The wife and I were so impressed with our friends JL, that the wife decided here fancy 2016 Ford Expedition was headed down the road. One month to the day later, it happened. Instead of getting the 3.6 powered Rubicon, we got the first 4xE sold in the state of Wyoming. The wife and I jokingly call it Sparky. It's the electric Jeep!

Stock isn't where it's at for us and our first wheeling trip showed us why we needed to upgrade. Even aired down we had issues getting up a steep muddy pitch on one of our trails. So the Dynatrac 2.5" lift kit was ordered.
With this kit installed, the ride difference on the vehicle was vastly improved. We hadn't upgraded the wheels and tires yet and the ride difference was noticeable. Fox shocks. They are worth it.

Next upgrade was the wheels and tires. A close friend of ours donated a set of Teraflex Nomads that were rashed up from multiple trips to the black hills. We had these powder coated to match the Jeep's colors. Silver with the blue 4xE accent color around the ring. They turned out good. The tires are 37x12.50 Patagonia Milestars.

Other less noticeable upgrades are the spider-web shades soft top, Tazer Mini programmer, Teraflex Alpha HD spare tire carrier, onboard air system, bull bar for the front bumper, a custom top lift device for the garage, and other cosmetic modifications.

So as it sits today, we've got about 2000 miles on it. 60% of those miles are electric only. It performs very well off-road and is fast becoming the replacement for our 79 Bronco. It pains me to say it but this rig is much more capable. It's more comfortable and it's more economic.

As a commuter vehicle, it's even more impressive. To recharge the 4xE overnight costs about $1.70. The wife's drive to work each day is about 23 miles. The engine kicks on right as she gets to work. She is able to plug it in while she's at work, and can drive almost all the way home in electric mode. I think she buys fuel once every 3 weeks and it's only because she's at a gas station and she hates having less than half tank.

Bravo Jeep! This thing is cool!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Awesome build! I just got my Rubi 2 weeks ago and looking to do similar upgrades. Do you know what your electric miles look like now with all the upgrades? Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler 4XE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty cool. Great job!
Thanks Shakes!

DD_818,
Not much of a change. Tire pressure has a big effect on it but when aired up, the milestars have a very low rolling resistance. Maybe reduces the miles per charge by one, possibly two.

Kenji,
It's been fun. Very capable rigs, but big. Thanks for the kudos!

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon
17 Posts
Love those rims and planning to order a set. What do you think of the deflators? Do you have any other friends wanting to get rid of a set for free? Ha ha.

I think the rash rings that fit those would look cool powder coated in blue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts