Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anyone here have experience with their dry outlet splitter? SPLITVOLT NEMA 10-30 SWITCH SPS | Splitvolt

I'm getting quotes ranging from $1000 - $1500 to have a nema 14-50 installed in my garage for level 2 charging. This plus $500 for the actual level 2 charger is more than I was hoping to spend.

My laundry room is right next to my garage and I could easily make use of the existing dryer outlet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi,

Anyone here have experience with their dry outlet splitter? SPLITVOLT NEMA 10-30 SWITCH SPS | Splitvolt

I'm getting quotes ranging from $1000 - $1500 to have a nema 14-50 installed in my garage for level 2 charging. This plus $500 for the actual level 2 charger is more than I was hoping to spend.

My laundry room is right next to my garage and I could easily make use of the existing dryer outlet.
Looks like a cool product, by code you’d need to make sure to leave 20% headroom for constant draw appliances (like EV charging) so can’t do a 30A charger, one other concern I’d have is if you were to go with a “smart” charger like the JuiceBox that requires an app and WiFi to control you may run into problems with the switch cycling the charger off while you’re trying to control it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They also sell a 24a charger. Not the fastest but way better than the stock L1

·
Registered
195 Posts
Holy smokes, those are some pretty pricey estimates, you know, the N14-50 is sometimes more costly due to needing an extra neutral, and for charging an EV, it doesn't buy you anything (outside of having a box you could use at an RV park), so you might ask about an N6-50 like I had installed.

It's funny, I had that same switch box (the 24a model) in my Amazon cart for a few weeks, I seriously thought about just doing that and cutting hole in the wall between the laundry room and the garage (making a nice clean opening), vs. having to leave the door open (our laundry room is inside the house), so if your 10-30 outlet is in the same space, that's a big perk.

Ultimately, I really got into the idea of having a 40a charger for a little more future-proofing.

The Amazon reviews have a few people that say it doesn't quite work correctly, but overall it has pretty solid reviews 4.5/5 (though only 50 total reviews):

FWIW, before our perm N6-50 install, I got an N6-50 to 10-30 adapter cable and I was manually doing what that box does automatically :D

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My issue is the breaker box is 75-100’ from my garage. Literally the farthest it could possibly be and the cost of wire is high. Is the wiring for n6-50 less expensive?

·
Registered
195 Posts
My issue is the breaker box is 75-100’ from my garage. Literally the farthest it could possibly be and the cost of wire is high. Is the wiring for n6-50 less expensive?
Oh yeah, that's a major cost impact, our install was right next to the breaker, they used like a 18" wire patch.

I'd definitely ask about the N6-50, it's one less wire, and in reading it sounded like it can be a notable impact to cost (but this is outside my pay grade :D)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I will def ask about 6-50 and will either do this or the 14-50. The Splitvolt is a cool concept but I have 7 people in my house and we are constantly doing laundry. I know I will want the flexibility to top my truck off whenever I want, which will not go over well with the Mrs if it means I turn the dryer off. NYS gives an $1100 tax credit on top of the federal $7500 so I will just have to think about using some of these credits to ease my mind about the expense. I suppose that is technically why the govt gives you this $$ anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We had the same situation as Sjbiss so I installed the Splitvolt today. It charges at 24 volts. It also automatically switches to the dryer when you turn the dryer on and will switch back to vehicle when the dryer is finished. I had 7 miles of electric range left so I plugged in for 1.5 hours and range went to 24 miles.

We have a charging schedule set so the Jeep normally charges at night when our rate drops from 15 cents/kWh to 3 cents. We’re normally not drying clothes at that time. If we need to charge during the day we can and the change from the level 1 charger to this makes it worth it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We had the same situation as Sjbiss so I installed the Splitvolt today. It charges at 24 volts. It also automatically switches to the dryer when you turn the dryer on and will switch back to vehicle when the dryer is finished. I had 7 miles of electric range left so I plugged in for 1.5 hours and range went to 24 miles.

We have a charging schedule set so the Jeep normally charges at night when our rate drops from 15 cents/kWh to 3 cents. We’re normally not drying clothes at that time. If we need to charge during the day we can and the change from the level 1 charger to this makes it worth it.
Is your plug in the garage or in the house near garage? Similar to MaskedRacerX, our dryer is indoors and so close to the garage that it would be possible but would love to hear if others have the same setup. This seems like a no brainer for the cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our dryer outlet is in the house so I cut a 3” round hole in the wall between the house and the garage and inserted a pvc pipe in the hole and ran the cord thru that. Then I stuffed it full of wool insulation and put covers on each end. Works great.
Material property Gas Electronic device Technology Rectangle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts