Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anyone here have experience with their dry outlet splitter? SPLITVOLT NEMA 10-30 SWITCH SPS | Splitvolt

I'm getting quotes ranging from $1000 - $1500 to have a nema 14-50 installed in my garage for level 2 charging. This plus $500 for the actual level 2 charger is more than I was hoping to spend.

My laundry room is right next to my garage and I could easily make use of the existing dryer outlet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,

Anyone here have experience with their dry outlet splitter? SPLITVOLT NEMA 10-30 SWITCH SPS | Splitvolt

I'm getting quotes ranging from $1000 - $1500 to have a nema 14-50 installed in my garage for level 2 charging. This plus $500 for the actual level 2 charger is more than I was hoping to spend.

My laundry room is right next to my garage and I could easily make use of the existing dryer outlet.
Looks like a cool product, by code you’d need to make sure to leave 20% headroom for constant draw appliances (like EV charging) so can’t do a 30A charger, one other concern I’d have is if you were to go with a “smart” charger like the JuiceBox that requires an app and WiFi to control you may run into problems with the switch cycling the charger off while you’re trying to control it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They also sell a 24a charger. Not the fastest but way better than the stock L1

·
Registered
131 Posts
Holy smokes, those are some pretty pricey estimates, you know, the N14-50 is sometimes more costly due to needing an extra neutral, and for charging an EV, it doesn't buy you anything (outside of having a box you could use at an RV park), so you might ask about an N6-50 like I had installed.

It's funny, I had that same switch box (the 24a model) in my Amazon cart for a few weeks, I seriously thought about just doing that and cutting hole in the wall between the laundry room and the garage (making a nice clean opening), vs. having to leave the door open (our laundry room is inside the house), so if your 10-30 outlet is in the same space, that's a big perk.

Ultimately, I really got into the idea of having a 40a charger for a little more future-proofing.

The Amazon reviews have a few people that say it doesn't quite work correctly, but overall it has pretty solid reviews 4.5/5 (though only 50 total reviews):

FWIW, before our perm N6-50 install, I got an N6-50 to 10-30 adapter cable and I was manually doing what that box does automatically :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My issue is the breaker box is 75-100’ from my garage. Literally the farthest it could possibly be and the cost of wire is high. Is the wiring for n6-50 less expensive?

·
Registered
131 Posts
My issue is the breaker box is 75-100’ from my garage. Literally the farthest it could possibly be and the cost of wire is high. Is the wiring for n6-50 less expensive?
Oh yeah, that's a major cost impact, our install was right next to the breaker, they used like a 18" wire patch.

I'd definitely ask about the N6-50, it's one less wire, and in reading it sounded like it can be a notable impact to cost (but this is outside my pay grade :D)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I will def ask about 6-50 and will either do this or the 14-50. The Splitvolt is a cool concept but I have 7 people in my house and we are constantly doing laundry. I know I will want the flexibility to top my truck off whenever I want, which will not go over well with the Mrs if it means I turn the dryer off. NYS gives an $1100 tax credit on top of the federal $7500 so I will just have to think about using some of these credits to ease my mind about the expense. I suppose that is technically why the govt gives you this $$ anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts