Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. I am new here. Got my Rubicon 4XE first week of June. Loving it. There are minor issues and perhaps they are all my personal preferences so don't really blame Jeep for them.

The one and only major issue I am have is braking in emergency stops or slow downs. The brake pedal gets spongy and as a result the vehicle wont start the braking immediately ....the way you expect it. There is a significant lag.... a fraction of a delay .....which doesnt really sound that much but in tough situations it can cause a crash or hurt someone. It feels like the lines need bleeding if it had been a classic jeep but with regen braking its hard to say whats going on. Perhaps its the delay in the electronic messaging from the pedal to the motor to engage and make the car stop. The pressure i put on the brakes though should ideally engage the friction brakes with the disc and the pads, not the regen braking.

I took it to the dealership and they did a complete inspection. There is nothing wrong with the brakes they said. Get used to the way a Hybrid Regen braking works. I find that unacceptable. I also have a Tesla Model 3 and have no issues with its braking whatsover. Looks like i need to find a solution without the dealer/manufacturer's help.

Does anyone else feel the same way about their 4XE?
Thank you!

·
Registered
47 Posts
The brakes are definitely different than what I'm accustomed to. In my Sahara, if I stomp on the brakes in 2WD, I can hear the rear tires scrubbing a bit. I presume this is the Regen braking and the hydraulic brakes trying to calculate how NOT to lock up the wheels while compensating for significant weight transfer in that situation. It feels like 75% of the mass is on the front axle in that scenario. I haven't tried it in AWD auto, but I would think that would be more "normal" feeling since the front axle is going to provide some regen stopping force from the drivetrain along with the hydraulic brakes.

·
Registered
381 Posts
i had it 3 times, one time i had groceries at the back seats ..swush ..Fruit Ninja 4xe. Glad i had not my Dog sitting there .

·
Registered
613 Posts
My experience in emergency braking is feels opposite. It grabs hard!

I like to compare it with landing on an aircraft carrier. Not that I have, I just imagine that's what it is like, lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m with you, I have a Rubicon and noticed the same thing the other day when I was driving on the freeway and had to drop from 60/70 mph to 10 mph due to a traffic bottleneck. My last car was a 19 Rav4 Hybrid with regen braking and I never had that issue with that car. I noticed the difference almost immediately after taking delivery of my Jeep. I don’t mind it too much, it’s annoying but it forces you to drive safer. Lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts