Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a star case open on my brand new 2021 4xe. Both the dealer technicians and the star case/FCA engineers cannot fix the problem with it. Has this happened to anyone before? I already assumed earlier I'd have to either sell or invoke the lemon law but I'm actually surprised the engineers can't figure out a fix.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The engineers are stumped on mine as well. Last I heard they were trying a new sensor but they haven’t called me recently. I’m really wondering now are there lots of Jeeps out there with no problems? Why would it be a select few and why can’t they figure it out? Has anyone gone over 10000 miles with no problems?

·
Registered
393 Posts
As an engineer (not for jeep), I can definitely say that sometimes in complex systems there are weird things that happen that you can't always figure out. It happens.
I can appreciate that. But it’s very frustrating that if they can’t figure it out then Jeep should give me a new one - and they are not willing to do that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I couldn’t replicate the issue today after charging last night.

I have so far seen substantial fluctuation in the voltage readings with the reading going from 12.9 to 14.3 the night before with substantial fluctuation under load to 13 the next day with almost no fluctuation under load (heated seats, heated steering, backup cam on, and stereo playing).

·
Registered
901 Posts
The engineers are stumped on mine as well. Last I heard they were trying a new sensor but they haven’t called me recently. I’m really wondering now are there lots of Jeeps out there with no problems? Why would it be a select few and why can’t they figure it out? Has anyone gone over 10000 miles with no problems?
Plenty have although it hasn't been out long enough for a large number of people. The majority of the issues just seem to be manufacturing issues, which I guess some are just hard to track down.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealer called me today after my 4xe has been there for 4 days. They said the technicians followed and performed everything the star case asked of them 3 times, and could not find a problem. So, my jeep is ready for pick up. Stay tuned. :confused:

·
Registered
393 Posts
The dealer called me today after my 4xe has been there for 4 days. They said the technicians followed and performed everything the star case asked of them 3 times, and could not find a problem. So, my jeep is ready for pick up. Stay tuned. :confused:
That would be great for you. The dealer called me and said they are ordering a new wiring harness. That will take a week. Ugh.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hopefully it will never return. But most of these stores wind up with the problem happening again on the way home from the dealership.

I've read of ICE Jeeps shutting off when getting brake and throttle input. Which is kind of what happen with the ACC in my case.

However, with all the highway reports, I have to wonder if it's just something related to high speed, track style driving.

Perhaps they need to do another million miles of testing on the Atlanta highways!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, picked it up from the dealer. They said they test drove it 52 miles and could not replicate the problem. They completed everything the star engineers told them to 3 times. My husband drove it home from the dealer, and 2 miles out the same exact thing happened again. Shocker. So we drove it back immediately and it's still there. I'm going to let it sit there for 30 days and invoke the lemon law. I'm just so mad they won't give me a loaner in the meantime. I will never purchase another FCA vehicle. Ever.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well, picked it up from the dealer. They said they test drove it 52 miles and could not replicate the problem. They completed everything the star engineers told them to 3 times. My husband drove it home from the dealer, and 2 miles out the same exact thing happened again. Shocker. So we drove it back immediately and it's still there. I'm going to let it sit there for 30 days and invoke the lemon law. I'm just so mad they won't give me a loaner in the meantime. I will never purchase another FCA vehicle. Ever.
That's brutal. What was/is the issue?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's brutal. What was/is the issue?
Not sure....They never gave me a formal diagnosis. The problem I had was that it shut down spontaneously in the middle of the road while driving at 40mph in hybrid mode with 50% battery and a full tank of gas. I know multiple error codes were shown but not sure which ones. The dealer told me they checked all circuits, did a pin tension test and wiggle test, and everything came back normal with no issues. I find it funny they did all that AND drove it for 52 miles with no issues, but the moment we got it back and drove 2 miles it broke down again. It's now been at the dealer for a total of 7 days, still without a formal diagnosis.

·
Registered
209 Posts
These kind of issues sound so much like a bad 12v battery problem where the battery tests "OK" but in use (vibration, bumps) it temporarily fluctuates voltage which will drive computerized systems haywire. If I were the circus manager at the dealer, for s--ts and giggles I'd swap the 12v battery for a known good one and play the let's-see-what-happens game. If all other sensors and readings check out OK, my fat finger would be itching to point at the 12v battery.

I sincerely hope this gets resolved.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
These kind of issues sound so much like a bad 12v battery problem where the battery tests "OK" but in use (vibration, bumps) it temporarily fluctuates voltage which will drive computerized systems haywire. If I were the circus manager at the dealer, for s--ts and giggles I'd swap the 12v battery for a known good one and play the let's-see-what-happens game. If all other sensors and readings check out OK, my fat finger would be itching to point at the 12v battery.

I sincerely hope this gets resolved.
Thank you! I will mention that to them. They actually had the audacity to ask me to come ride in the jeep with them to show them what happens, because they don't believe me. Even with error codes. I was like....aren't you the jeep technician, and shouldn't YOU be telling ME what the problem is? o_O:unsure: I've lost all faith.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not sure....They never gave me a formal diagnosis. The problem I had was that it shut down spontaneously in the middle of the road while driving at 40mph in hybrid mode with 50% battery and a full tank of gas. I know multiple error codes were shown but not sure which ones. The dealer told me they checked all circuits, did a pin tension test and wiggle test, and everything came back normal with no issues. I find it funny they did all that AND drove it for 52 miles with no issues, but the moment we got it back and drove 2 miles it broke down again. It's now been at the dealer for a total of 7 days, still without a formal diagnosis.
It shut down on the highway for you...then when your husband picked it up, it shut down AGAIN?

W
T
F
?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you keeping the 12 V battery voltage level display on when you are driving? Because if I were you that's what I would be monitoring in addition to testing the voltage with a multimeter just to see what it's at. If it's reading below 12.5 V I would suspect you have a defective battery or perhaps one that has been sulfated from sitting around and no longer holds a charge.

Thank you! I will mention that to them. They actually had the audacity to ask me to come ride in the jeep with them to show them what happens, because they don't believe me. Even with error codes. I was like....aren't you the jeep technician, and shouldn't YOU be telling ME what the problem is? o_O:unsure: I've lost all faith.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You might want to ask around with another dealer's service department to see if they know about this issue. Very often, smaller shops are not savvy about EVs because they don't see as many of these issues come through and if a TSB or recall hasn't been issued they may be completely clueless about the possiblities whereas other shops will have tested more solutions or seen other vehicles with similar problems.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts