Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of contemplating I finally ordered my 4xe two days ago. This will be my second Jeep, and my first brand new one. I previously had a 2010 JKUR.

I was reading the manual regarding the 4xe to get prepared since I have anywhere between 2-4 months for delivery time. I came across something that concerned me as someone that is going to be doing adventuring in the Jeep. It states that in weather -22 or lower and 131 and higher that the Jeep will NOT start. Now I don't envision myself going out to places where this type of extreme weather is expected, but as someone that lives in the PNW it is something I have to consider since some of the destinations I'd like to visit can go down this low, such as Montana/North Dakota, etc.

Obviously, my biggest fear would be getting stuck somewhere without service and a Jeep that refuses to start. Can someone explain why this would be the case, and if there is any way to avoid this issue?

I plan on doing more overlanding style activities and bought the 4xe as an eco-conscious person, and someone that enjoyed the extra weight making the ride smoother. I intend on doing road trips to Montana, and one day going from Canada all the way down the West Coast into Mexico. I know the Jeep will always start regardless of it having a charge in the hybrid battery or not, but what exactly happens when you happen to be in an extreme temperature situation. I was watching Drew Simms on YouTube who is living the life I dream of and living out of his dream and he was recently in Idaho during -17 degree weather. Being that Idaho is a short drive from me in Oregon I can envision myself being in a similar situation. Am I completely overthinking this and just adding stress to myself, or am I really going to be SOL in a situation like that?

Thanks,

Edit: I purchased a 4xe Rubicon

·
Registered
68 Posts
That’s a really good question SDMilazzo, on the surface it would seem like the smart thing for Jeep to do would be to allow only the ICE to start during extreme temperatures and then have it run the cooling/heating loops to condition the battery to a stable level. One thing that may preclude this is the fact that the small 48v front motor/generator (belt start generator) takes the place of a traditional alternator, and I believe this BSG is powered by the main battery pack and not the 12V battery, so in effect you need the main battery pack to be operable in order to start the ICE. In addition the main P2 motor is in line in the transmission so it will be spinning and engaged even if you were to only want to use ICE.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Drawing power from a cold or overheated Lithium battery can ruin it. It needs to be plugged in under those conditions to run the AC/heater to moderate the battery temperature before it can be used.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Nobody has reported issues yet in extreme heat climates. I'd be concerned about somewhere like Montana or Idaho in the winter. My son was living in Montana for a couple years and saw some extreme, long duration weather. It was bad enough he would get periodically trapped. I suspect the warming artic is destabilizing the polar vortices and these extreme winters will be more the norm.

The battery pack is somewhat insulated, so I think it would take a long while at either end to get the battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nobody has reported issues yet in extreme heat climates. I'd be concerned about somewhere like Montana or Idaho in the winter. My son was living in Montana for a couple years and saw some extreme, long duration weather. It was bad enough he would get periodically trapped. I suspect the warming artic is destabilizing the polar vortices and these extreme winters will be more the norm.

The battery pack is somewhat insulated, so I think it would take a long while at either end to get the battery.
Yes my concern is the cold and not necessarily the heat. I have faith that in heat the battery would be more forgiving. In cold I’m a more worrisome on. And as others stated above that it may destroy the battery. Honestly killing the battery is the least of my concern if trapped in extreme cold and need to get out. Being that Idaho and Montana can go from 32* to -15* in the manner of days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s a really good question SDMilazzo, on the surface it would seem like the smart thing for Jeep to do would be to allow only the ICE to start during extreme temperatures and then have it run the cooling/heating loops to condition the battery to a stable level. One thing that may preclude this is the fact that the small 48v front motor/generator (belt start generator) takes the place of a traditional alternator, and I believe this BSG is powered by the main battery pack and not the 12V battery, so in effect you need the main battery pack to be operable in order to start the ICE. In addition the main P2 motor is in line in the transmission so it will be spinning and engaged even if you were to only want to use ICE.
Is there a way to insulate the battery or heat it up another way to get it to safe operating temps? Like a heated blanket type of contraption. Or gas powered heater?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yes my concern is the cold and not necessarily the heat. I have faith that in heat the battery would be more forgiving. In cold I’m a more worrisome on. And as others stated above that it may destroy the battery. Honestly killing the battery is the least of my concern if trapped in extreme cold and need to get out. Being that Idaho and Montana can go from 32* to -15* in the manner of days.
More like overnight and stay there for days!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Is there a way to insulate the battery or heat it up another way to get it to safe operating temps? Like a heated blanket type of contraption. Or gas powered heater?
Keeping it plugged in is the best option. Do you have plans to keep warm?

As much as I like the cold, I'd probably not venture out alone. In late May I saw snow up to and over roof lines in Yellowstone.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
596 Posts
Great question. Like a block heater except for the big battery pack.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Great question. Like a block heater except for the big battery pack.
It does have a temperature control system but it's electric and, in the absence of being hooked to outside power, has to draw that from the battery. The best solution is to avoid extreme weather and, if you can't, be hooked to power. If you can't do either, perhaps carry a 2000w generator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Checking in if anyone had any luck reaching out to Jeep or the dealer/service center about? I just got word of finally getting delivery on my 4XE rubicon. I live up north in Canada and definitely going into -20s in the winter. My intention was to charge while at work, which covers my daily commute as I live in an apartment that does not have a charging port.

reading this did worry me about cold starts on the Jeep. Or maybe it takes a lot more than overnight -20 to bring the actual battery temperature down that low that itwouldn’t start?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts