Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my 4xe from the dealership yesterday, but I'm still a little confused about the range. This is my first plug in hybrid.

I get it's 20 to 25miles on electric only, but how long can it be in hybrid and what is the gas milage in hybrid mode? Is it just so variable based on driving habits they don't give a definite mpg? Also, if you use it in electric mode until the battery is 1%, how does it switch to hybrid with so little charge (is it a separate battery for the hybrid mode?)

I only drive about 4 miles round trip to work each day so the 4xe is perfect for me in just EV mode but just curious for longer trips.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can't speak as the mpg from just hybrid mode. You may want to research how mpg-e, the term for the situations is calculated. I believe it's about 49 mpg-e for the 4xe. There is a reserve charge in the battery that can only be used in Hybrid mode and isn't expended in Electric mode. That's how it maintains the ability to stay in Hybrid mode after you've apparently drawn down the battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I wonder if for long trips you save more gas by draining the battery in electric mode first and then letting switch to hybrid, or if it's better just to stay in hybrid mode from the start until it runs out?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the info. I wonder if for long trips you save more gas by draining the battery in electric mode first and then letting switch to hybrid, or if it's better just to stay in hybrid mode from the start until it runs out?
In hybrid, it appears to drain the battery first then switch to gas. It will switch to gas if you quickly accelerate, but will mostly still use electric until you drain it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts