Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the included level 1 charger has a thermal breaker and what temperature it shuts off at?

I'm located in Houston, TX and the temperature was 98F and the level 1 charger kept failing with a solid green light and repeating double red blink. Wasn't outlet related because I tried the charger at home and a Jeep service department.

The dealership didn't have an extra level 1 charger so I took it home and decided to throw the charger in the freezer for an hour to see if it was a thermal issue and low and behold it is working again...

So, long story short, mine appears to have a thermal breaker that trips at close to 100F which hopefully will be covered by warranty. Does anyone know what temperature it should trip at when working correctly?

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes it has a thermal switch that should reset when it cools off. The issue with the solid state L1 and L2 EVSEs is heat management. (They have none). If you can provide some shade for the body of the unit that will help.

Alternatively, a walk mounted EVSE with contactors will generate much less heat and also charge quicker.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hopefully tripping at 100F isn't a normal thing for them. I am in Arizona and we also have many days over 100F. Hell this week we have heat advisory's for temps close to 118F

·
Registered
205 Posts
Unfortunately it is fairly normal for those types. The L1 EVSEs provided by the manufacturers isn't really intended as a long term charging solution. They expect most owners to purchase a quality L2 device at some point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts