Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to buy the Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit and then I read that smittybilt makes one that appears to be more substantial. From the pictures, it looks like it connects to the body differently. However, smittybilt does have sort of a bad rap for product quality.

Has anyone used the smittyville product?

·
Registered
17 Posts
No experience with the Smittybuilt however I just installed the Teraflex HD alpha hinge mount. I'll be putting a post up about the install wins and woes. All in all it works great and the install was easy however a faulty torque wrench allowed me to snap a bolt which is great fun. It's pricy but incredibly well built. One issue though is the rear facing camera does not come off the factory tire mount and the standard JL replacement needed slight modding to the connection points but doesn't show any input. Super fun times.

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Smittybilt gets a bad rap as some of their stuff is cheap but I had their tailgate reinforcement on my JK and it worked well. This one just seems a lot heavier duty than the Mopar and it tilts which is sort of cool and might come in useful for dropping off a shelf so hitting the tire is a little less likely.

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have spoken with the vendors and there seems to be a consensus that the Smittybilt carrier is slightly cheaper and more heavy duty. I'll be ordering that one and will post pics when it's done. Sounds like Quadratec will be finding me sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
21 Rubicon 4xe
33 Posts
If you do go with the Teraflex mount and you have both the front and rear cameras you need to call them and get the adaptor. The newer rear camera snaps in instead of being screwed in. I have the tailgate reinforcement and the tire mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you do go with the Teraflex mount and you have both the front and rear cameras you need to call them and get the adaptor. The newer rear camera snaps in instead of being screwed in. I have the tailgate reinforcement and the tire mount.
Nice photos. That mount looks awesome. 🔥

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just installed the Teraflex mount and the rear camera is where I’m stuck. How did you get the camera out of the factory mount? Do I just push it out? I bought a standard JL backup and no dice. I have the adapter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It was tight but I managed to separate the parts. It took some persuasion but the smaller section in picture with the red will come out of the large housing in the other photo. The little plastic clip is what holds the camera in place.
WHAT A PAIN! Thanks for the pics. I see now it’s not a single piece and I got the camera out. I used a thin pry bar to pull out the inner cowl which was snapped in place. Not very intuitive. I also used a trash can as the work surface and think that’s where the stock tire carrier should remain with that PITA Engineering.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Font Circle Automotive tire Hood Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim Eye Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

1 - 11 of 11 Posts