Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that ROY HOBBS and JEEP FAN CHICAGO got their rides, share your impressions and all the things worthy of praise or scorn, quirks, fuel economy, etc. We should probably put together a community spreadsheet for how to track fuel economy (or energy consumption). We, the plebeians with black Trailhawks and the more well-off but not quite high-rollers Overland buys, would like to live vicariously through the chosen few who have astoundingly taken delivery of their "vacuum cleaners".

Tell us about it !
  • what impresses you
  • what the reviews got wrong
  • how does it really drive
  • where it falls short of the hype

Thanks.

·
Registered
2022 JLU HA 4xe
19 Posts
  • what impresses you - The torque and speed
  • what the reviews got wrong - Comparisons to full EVs and compact PHEVs
  • how does it really drive - like a fast Wrangler
  • where it falls short of the hype - (excluding mashing pedal) I wish Hybrid mode was a blend of battery and gas power vs all battery followed by all gas.

·
Registered
550 Posts
  • where it falls short of the hype - (excluding mashing pedal) I wish Hybrid mode was a blend of battery and gas power vs all battery followed by all gas.
Having just sold my Wrangler, I can say with 1000% confidence, the 4xe GC drives NOTHING like a Wrangler.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Driving home from the dealership (mix of city and highway driving) in hybrid mode and then a quick trip to grocery store in all electric, I would have had no idea that I was driving a PHEV versus my previous V6 ’14 WK2 except for the regen braking. Super smooth and no idea when (or if) it went between the electric and gas in hybrid mode.

Overall really like it but there is a A LOT more tech than I‘ve been used to - the amount of beeping and dinging was a bit overwhelming, especially since I wasn’t always sure what it was for. Contrary to some of what I had read, navigation instructions show up in the heads up display even when using Apple Maps in Car Play (not sure about Waze).

If you dont have a need for it, double check at the dealership about turning off the rear seat alert. There is supposed to be a setting that is missing from mine.

It feels a lot wider than it actually is - I have a super narrow driveway and garage and had gotten really proficient in the old car. I struggled getting out today - i think overall width is roughly the same (couple inches wider on the 22) but feel like the hood is boxier which makes turning radii a bit more challenging.

Don’t forget to close the the panel to the charging port - surprised I didn’t take it off backing out of my garage today :eek:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Driving home from the dealership (mix of city and highway driving) in hybrid mode and then a quick trip to grocery store in all electric, I would have had no idea that I was driving a PHEV versus my previous V6 ’14 WK2 except for the regen braking. Super smooth and no idea when (or if) it went between the electric and gas in hybrid mode.

Overall really like it but there is a A LOT more tech than I‘ve been used to - the amount of beeping and dinging was a bit overwhelming, especially since I wasn’t always sure what it was for. Contrary to some of what I had read, navigation instructions show up in the heads up display even when using Apple Maps in Car Play (not sure about Waze).

If you dont have a need for it, double check at the dealership about turning off the rear seat alert. There is supposed to be a setting that is missing from mine.

It feels a lot wider than it actually is - I have a super narrow driveway and garage and had gotten really proficient in the old car. I struggled getting out today - i think overall width is roughly the same (couple inches wider on the 22) but feel like the hood is boxier which makes turning radii a bit more challenging.

Don’t forget to close the the panel to the charging port - surprised I didn’t take it off backing out of my garage today :eek:
Thanks for the overview! What is the rear seat alert? Great news about Apple Maps in the HUD. I usually use Google Maps even though I'm all Apple, maybe I'll look into switching.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for the overview! What is the rear seat alert? Great news about Apple Maps in the HUD. I usually use Google Maps even though I'm all Apple, maybe I'll look into switching.
For parents who don’t love their kids, its a reminder to not leave them in the car../sarcasm off.

And it may work for Google Maps and Waze, too. I was driving back after picking up dinner, forgot to set up the GPS (which I like to use for speed cams) and when I used the voice activation, it brought up Apple Maps automatically. I had read that it only worked with the Tom Tom built in navigation but pretty sure that wasn’t true (unless the voice activation brought up TomTom and not Apple Maps, which in hindsight may be plausible.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. In the interest of space I am only quoting the last sentence but this is the kind of reviews I was hoping for.

So how are you charging? Standard 110V ? Level 2 ? What did you buy / intend to buy for L2 ?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thank you. In the interest of space I am only quoting the last sentence but this is the kind of reviews I was hoping for.

So how are you charging? Standard 110V ? Level 2 ? What did you buy / intend to buy for L2 ?
Right now standard L1 w/ the charger that came with. I had a standard outlet in front of my space and given my typical driving habits, very skeptical I’d get enough use out of an L2 to justify install.
I’m actually more concerned about how often I’ll use gas and the need to periodically refresh the gas. I may switch to e-save if I don’t go through a tank quickly enough.

·
Registered
2022 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve 4xe
205 Posts
Did you try out sport mode to see if this gives you the battery + gas power the whole time?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok...how intrusive is the lane keep assist? What about the rear auto stop?

(The spousal unit put a scratch on the '14 just this past week-end, and I was about to go outside and shoot the damn garbage can ! The green garbage can jumped out at my wife just as when she was reversing...Suspicious scratch on the left fender as well, with a slight dent. She 'fessed up to scratching the car upon interrogation but did not admit to where and when and to more than one. I checked the security cameras but I couldn't see my future car get victimized. In fairness to her, there were a lot of flies and I relocated the trash bin but come on man...)

·
Registered
550 Posts

Level 2 with a Juicebox 40.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ok...how intrusive is the lane keep assist? What about the rear auto stop?

(The spousal unit put a scratch on the '14 just this past week-end, and I as about to go outside and shoot the damn garbage can ! It jumped out at my wife just as when she was reversing...Suspicious scratch on the left fender as well, with a slight dent. She 'fessed up to scratching the car upon interrogation but did not admit to where and when. I checked the security cameras but I couldn't see my future car get victimized.)
Not sure on either. Didn’t notice lane keeping last night though not sure I had active driving turned on. Also not sure if I have rear stop turned either. Definitely need to spend more time going through all the settings and customizing. There are A LOT.
Will say - if you have the digital rear view mirror, it takes a lot to get used to it. I’m still not sure what I think. But you really can’t use it to back up at all (in my experience). Just rear view camera.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you customize the dash to show digital gauges? I am old school - I like dials ... Maybe one of you can post a photo to show how it would look. Every review video out there has the new style digital gauge with the RPM bar at the bottom (and funny colours) and a numerical speed display. I wouldn't keep that unless I had no choice. Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Can you customize the dash to show digital gauges? I am old school - I like dials ... Maybe one of you can post a photo to show how it would look. Every review video out there has the new style digital gauge with the RPM bar at the bottom (and funny colours) and a numerical speed display. I wouldn't keep that unless I had no choice. Thanks.
I dont believe you can. You can do some customization about what is where but don’t think it was an option to change those (today was the day to set up the digital display and HUD).

·
Registered
550 Posts
Nope no gauges … and the rpm/tach at the bottom is gone too.

·
Registered
2022 JGC Summit 4xe
134 Posts
This will be my first SUV - how does this truck handle corners?

Does lowering the suspension help?

·
Registered
21' Wrangler Rubicon 4xe - Grand Cherokee 4xe Summit reserve on order
75 Posts
Is that setting user configurable or has it to be programmed at the dealer ? I had that problem on my Wrangler 4xe with my 2 dogs seating on the rear bench. The only solution I found to avoid the red lights on the dash and the chime ringing all the time was to insert 3 dummy buckles ....

·
Registered
21' Wrangler Rubicon 4xe - Grand Cherokee 4xe Summit reserve on order
75 Posts
Is it wider than a WK2 ? What was your old car ? My garage door is narrow too but I get in seamlessly with my current WK2 with folding the mirrors for passing the door.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts